Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Top 5 Purchases or Recommendations

With all the excitement of new members getting their first TT. You seasoned RV'ers need to pipe up and give up your most valuable must-have purchase or recommendations.

Here are mine;
1-FRS walkie talkies: Radios along with established communication like move the trailer rear end to the left or right makes backing up a calm repeatable experience. These have NOAA weather radio and a flashlight which is invaluable. My wife and or kids can easily guide me in to a campsite or storage stall. Don't for get to have them watch for overhead obstructions. don't ask me how I know...

2-Carry an extra set of camper keys (duplicate set) in the tow vehicle. We lost a set once on a trip and the only thing the dealer recommended was to drill/replace the locks. (I later found that my seemingly oddball key was $2.50 direct from the mfgr (BAUER). I went to untold number of locksmiths only to be told the blanks were non-existent. In this case, I was able to enter my storage compartment and lift up the bed to gain access to the trailer (where the 2 set of keys were located...)

3-Roof vent cover for the bathroom fan. My dealer told me to always leave the vent open a little for air circulation. this thing gives me the piece of mind that rain will not get in should I ever leave it open. Also, provides the ability to leave open during the rain to get fresh air. most of my other windows can not be opened as rain would enter). Also, it is a cinch to install. no drilling on roof.

4-Tank flusher: if you don't have one of those direct connect flush ports AND you depend on the level gages for your waste tanks get one. The level sensors in the gray and black tanks will inevitably be incorrect after the 3rd or 4th trip out. If you need to depend on them then rinsing the tanks 2-3 times every other trip will get the sensors back to zero. It takes about 12-15 min for my 35G tank to fill with one of these.

5-Use www.Rvparkreviews.com (no affiliation) if you need advice on finding a park. We travel a lot and use this site exclusively for selecting all of our sites (whether overnight stop or destination). Just like buying stuff on Amazon, you get the benefit of other folks experiences (vs marketing material). There is nothing worse then arriving at a park only to be disappointed when you were expecting something totally different based on the park's website. Don't forget to contribute to it when you get back from your trips.

6-Tire Pressure: get serious about checking your tire pressure in your vehicles. The last tires I purchased cost about $125 each installed. That cost is peanuts compared to the damage you will do to your TT when a tire blows. I know several who had blowouts and the damage was over $2500 in each case. Worse---their rig was out of commission for 10-12 weeks while parts were on order.

2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Great list, Brian! Here's my addition:

6. RV Service Reviews.com
As with RV parks reviews, it's user generated reviews can help you decide which dealer or service company to take your RV to for service. Users are encouraged to post about specific repairs performed and how well they were done. As with you, I have no affiliation with this site, though I've posted a few reviews on it.

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Don't buy a lot of stuff at first. Get the basics and then add as you gain info on what you NEED. Put the extra keys on the trailer. You may go to work on it and forget your keys, more than once. Don't ask me how I know this. I hid a set in the panel that gives access to the fridge on the exterior. Hidden behind the insulation no one would find them.
I recently purchased "back up balls" and they work great. That is the brand name.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Excellent idea on the key!
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
I got the yellow "back up balls" at Harbor Freight for about $9.99. They call it a "magnetic trailer alignment kit" They telescope to 43", just make sure the glue from the balls isn't stuck to the metal telescoping part so it won't slide out.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Two cell phones work better than walkie talkies IMO. Just put them on speaker.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Two cell phones work better than walkie talkies IMO. Just put them on speaker.
I agree, use your cell phone, the batteries are more than likely dead on the walkie talkies from the last trip, especially if the kids played with them after you got set up.

Along with the cell phone use to assist in parking, tons of patience with your helper, no point is starting the RV trip upset with each other.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have been at a few campsites which where in cell phone dead zones. Have the radios, but after all these years I finally came to understand what DW's hand signals mean (lol)!
2008 Bounder 38V DP
2004 Ford Sport Trac
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
My best one so far is the Oxygenics shower head.

I also bought a portable compressor at Lowe's for $50. It runs on either battery or household current. When you hook the nozzle to the valve stem, it shows the tire pressure. Set to where you want the tire inflated and it stops automatically when it gets to that pressure. When I check the tires in the other vehicles at the house, I end up going to the trailer and getting the Lowe's one.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are very disappointed with the Oxygenics shower head it doesn't shut off completely. I called the manufacture and they say this is the way it works back pressure causes it to run a stream. My old unit shot off completely. Will get another one like it. JMO
2008 Coachmen 288FKS-2000 F-250 4x4 V-10/
Fur Baby Lilbit and Diesel
Come grow old with me the best is yet to be TEXAS BOOMERS
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
I have a few articles about this type of stuff on my blog (link below), but to be honest, I've found that most lists that try to be very complete are a bit overkill. Most of the time when I find a list of items I can cross about 3/4 of it off. The lists I have up are just basics and a few fun things I've found. Most is trial and error. Camp close to home at first and make lists every time you go out.
The Camping Dad
spappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I carry a pair of card table type plastic and steel folding chairs.

Sometimes the picnic tables are hard to maneuver for DH. He can get up from the harder chair easier than from a camp chair. Quick to open and close, he can sit in it to light the water heater or hook up the dump hoses.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
When we had our TT, by far the best item I ever purchased for it was the Hensley Arrow hitch, 2nd was the TPMS unit and third was the electric tongue jack. After that, it was just what I felt I needed at the time.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
I would have a set of keys on my keychain AND the wifes, can also have a set of course in the trailer and just keep a key to the storage area hidden in the fridge access or the hot water access. the. you just as stated before pop thru the storage area and into the trailer.

HA from what I read quite extensively seems to be the better between the propride and ha as the arrow has a solid stinger that prevents weak points and limits failures from fatigue, regardless of the other stated advantages of the propride I have read as my families safety is paramount to any conveniences that the propride would offer.

keep spring or filtered water in the trailers bathtub so you can always have a good clean source of water.

disconnect your negative lead on the battery when storing for over a week.

use large wood blocks or paver stones to reduce the give on the stabs.

always get a paved site if possible as they are usually pre leveled.

RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote