Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Torque or not to torque

I have a new TT and need to know if i should be checking torque often.I am new member to the TT world and ask a lot of questions. If I should be checking what is the best type of wrench to use, pricing is critical since i am spending bucks everyday for something and don't even know if i need everything i am buying. forgot to mention that i am talking lug nuts
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What "torque" are you asking about? There are lots of items that need torque checked on them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

lug nuts like i said i am so new dont even know how to ask questions
Old 01-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Torque is checked mainly after you take a tire off and put it back on. There's no need to constantly check lug nut torque. The exception is aluminum wheels need to be rechecked (at least twice) after you've first put them on and driven for awhile. After that, they're fine until the next time you take the wheel off.

RV wheels aren't magically different than car wheels, and how many people do you know that even know where the wheel wrench is in their car, let alone own a torque wrench?
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I checked the torque on the lug nuts three times after R/Ring the aluminum wheels to get metal stems for TPMS caps put on the rims. Each time, the lug nuts were a little to somewhat loose, at least as far as torque is concerned, they were not able to be turned without a tool.

I check them before every trip now, and will continue to do so until I am certain they are not loosening at all, because a handful of them still are a little loose each time.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Common sticker on RV trailer wheel well skirt

Actual torque valve is dependent on YOUR stud and lug nut specifics

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I torque my wheels to specs (450 ft/lbs) when I R&R them, and then I just index the lug nuts with a marker and visually check them every time I stop for a while. To index them I just put a mark on the outer most part of the nut, so 12 o'clock on the top nut and 6 o'clock on the bottom nut etc all the way around the wheel. Then when I visually check the nuts if they are not indexed with the mark to the outside I know they are coming loose and need to be retorqued. Fast, simple, and accurate!

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #8

I really like this idea but could you make it clearer for this old timer. thanks so much
Old 01-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you torque a bolt/nut you are actually stretching the bold slightly. Overtorquing will permanently stretch the bolt and it will continue to stretch and loosen up. This is why it's critical not to overtorque a bolt.

Ours take 500 ft lbs (value is molded into the nut). I carry a torque multiplyer and can get the 500 ft lbs by applying 154 ft lbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #10

A torque wrench is available at Harbor Freight for as little as $9.99 with a coupon. They are fairly accurate and will be just fine. Remember to turn the setting back to zero before storing it.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #11

I check the torque on mine before every trip, the same time I check the air in the tires. I use the $9.99 torque wrench from Harbor Freight too and it works fine for me and other uses in the shop..
Old 01-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #12

After 30+ years of trailering, I have never found a lug nut to be loose after the first torquing; I have found some that I FORGOT to torque. Torque to correct ft/lbs when installed, then once more after some travel. If you notice that some are requiring more adjustment at the second try, then figure out what is happening--that ain't normal.
As mentioned above, how many of us check the torque on our cars/trucks--ever, after either doing the work ourselves or having it done at a shop? Why is a trailer different?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
I really like this idea but could you make it clearer for this old timer. thanks so much
Just check the torque and them mark the lug nuts so the marks are all pointed the same direction, like to the outside of the wheel, to the inside of the wheel, to the lug nut to the left or whatever and then when you look at it, if the mark is not pointed the direction it started at after you have driven it, you know that it has come loose. So if all your marks point to the outside of the wheel and you find one that is pointing to the center, you know it is loose.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #14

If seen over the road trucks with little red arrows snapped on the lug nuts. They all point to the next nut.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote