RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Total newbie, 1st purchase

Hi, We are expats living in the EU but will be returning during the summers to the USA.

We wanted to put a TT on our property, as we have electric, water and sewer. During the spring, I wanted to drive down to Florida for a month or more.

It is my teenage son and myself for travel. The husband will be there in the summer. Therefore, bunk beds are important.

My budget is tight as I must also get a truck. In our town a woman has a 2016 Heartland Wilderness 28.5 and is asking 18K.

Here is link to one similar: https://www.red10rv.com/Pre-owned-In...-10-RV-5845060

Would this be a good first time TT purchase as I must keep it under $20K.
__________________

WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Member
 
1st-tt2018's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 45
At 18k you will be over with the truck and accessories to hook everything up and make it home.
__________________

1st-tt2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 474
There is an app called RV Trader, that would give you a good indication of prices of different trailers. You can get that app on your telephone and other devices, even if you don't buy through them they are a good reference point.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGal View Post
Hi, We are expats living in the EU but will be returning during the summers to the USA.

We wanted to put a TT on our property, as we have electric, water and sewer. During the spring, I wanted to drive down to Florida for a month or more.

It is my teenage son and myself for travel. The husband will be there in the summer. Therefore, bunk beds are important.

My budget is tight as I must also get a truck. In our town a woman has a 2016 Heartland Wilderness 28.5 and is asking 18K.

Here is link to one similar: https://www.red10rv.com/Pre-owned-In...-10-RV-5845060

Would this be a good first time TT purchase as I must keep it under $20K.
Assuming it is in excellent condition, it seems to be a great deal. There is a 2018 in GA at $27000

It sleeps 10.
It is a heavy TT and will require a substantial tow vehicle.
The add does not list the gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the TT, but it could be 8000#. The tongue weight may be more than 800# fully loaded.

It is going to be a big handful to tow and park for a first time TT.

Certainly get one of the inspection check lists and inspect it thoroughly. Test everything. Maybe hire an TT inspector to look it over.
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
At 18k you will be over with the truck and accessories to hook everything up and make it home.
Our budget for just the caravan is $20K or under. Not including a tow vehicle. I know the tow truck is going to be a pretty penny.

I have in the past towed a boat, drove a 5th wheel on truck for about 50 miles, etc. I use to tow my horses around to shows. Coming from Wyoming I think we learn to be self sufficient and learn to drive a stick, tow and farm.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #6
Member
 
1st-tt2018's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGal View Post
Our budget for just the caravan is $20K or under. Not including a tow vehicle. I know the tow truck is going to be a pretty penny.

I have in the past towed a boat, drove a 5th wheel on truck for about 50 miles, etc. I use to tow my horses around to shows. Coming from Wyoming I think we learn to be self sufficient and learn to drive a stick, tow and farm.
Alright! Then that looks like a pretty good one! I like the kitchen and fireplace. Did the seller say anything about an extended warranty or any warranty work performed?
1st-tt2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,113
I hope you have indoor storage planned as the snow load in Wyoming will be substantial. Otherwise you will need someone to come by and sweep the roof after heavy snows. Also the potential for water damage is much greater in a unit left exposed to the weather year round with no one looking after it. At a minimum roof and sidewall seams need looked at twice a year and a thorough inspection should be done before purchasing as well. Water leaks can destroy a trailer quickly and are the number one cause of damage to RVs.
__________________
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
Kennewick, WA.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 335
You might want to look into a storage canopy or shed:
https://www.ecanopy.com/rv---camper-shelters.html
__________________
2000 Coleman Tacoma Pop-Up
2006 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L-V6, 4x2
Desert Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 35,237
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a towables guy so can't help with that. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Alright! Then that looks like a pretty good one! I like the kitchen and fireplace. Did the seller say anything about an extended warranty or any warranty work performed?
I didn't ask that question but I will be sure I do today. Thank you for good information and questions. I had asked tyres and bearing but not all work.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I hope you have indoor storage planned as the snow load in Wyoming will be substantial. Otherwise you will need someone to come by and sweep the roof after heavy snows. Also the potential for water damage is much greater in a unit left exposed to the weather year round with no one looking after it. At a minimum roof and sidewall seams need looked at twice a year and a thorough inspection should be done before purchasing as well. Water leaks can destroy a trailer quickly and are the number one cause of damage to RVs.
You know our area well. How many times I was on my mom's roof shoveling in my life, I can't count. The snow load is extreme in Wyoming. We are going to build a concrete pad and shed for the trailer. More $$ for the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a towables guy so can't help with that. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you for saying hello to me, This is my first post and I wanted to make sure I read a lot before making this purchase. Happy trails to you and blessing.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,113
Glad you have a plan. If you can mostly enclose the sunny side that will help with fading and blowing snow. Seems like the sun does as much damage as water, at least to appearance and any plastics.

Good for you for learning what questions to ask before it's too late. Hope you have a great time!
__________________
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
Kennewick, WA.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 5,635
It seems your asking for advice for "which" brands" are best for a budget under $20k. Lets face it "cheap" RV's are just that "CHEAP". You could buy a brand new RV trailer with that floor plan for under $20k.

What are your summer travel plans other than going to Florida? Staying only in full service type campgrounds or doing some off grid camping? Will this purchase be for using it the next 5 summers or longer? If your looking for using this RV unit for multiple summers, you might want to look at a used higher quality Arctic Fox or ORV unit as they have better construction components and suspensions.


When we were going to Alaska two years ago, I couple we meet a couple in MT. who was from Europe with kids. For a year they were traveling the US. They landed in the US, immediately bought a used 3/4 ton truck. Then a fairly new, used Arctic Fox trailer. Now they were at the point of selling both, to go back home.

I know this one (2014 Arctic Fox 25P) on RVtrader doesn't have a bunk bed but, this was a $35k-40k unit new and their asking $17k. Seems under priced...Used ORV (Outdoors RV) and AF will hold their value much more than a lower priced RV will.
__________________

__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newbie, purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st RV, 1st forum! Bammanuel New Member Check-In 20 03-29-2015 06:37 PM
Newbie, solo, Seeking advise on 1st Purchase getgo Class C Motorhome Discussions 28 11-28-2014 12:04 PM
1st post, 1st rv, 1stcamp summers42 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 04-28-2013 08:19 PM
1st motorhome - 1st outing next weekend Chuck Blair New Member Check-In 21 09-03-2007 04:02 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.