Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
Choice of Suburban

Originally Posted by shayandvered View Post

We have done some research on our own and I am glad to have my conclusions backed up with the experience shared with us here. We are looking for a Suburban/Yukon 2500. As it was mentioned here, these are less common and more difficult to find (especially for us, since we ae on a low budget). We found some older ones - 2000-2001 models.
Are there any risks we should be aware of with buying older models?
We just recently bought a 2001 Suburban. Yes, the 2500 was not easy to find, but we got one. We found an LT with an 8.1-liter engine and tow-ready. With our 5800 lb. trailer, we will probably be able to fly over mountains. Of course, gas mileage...Ouch!

Have fun in the USA!

Rappenwolf of the Sues-Squared

Rappenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
I live near Portland and I think your decision is a good one. There is no sales tax in Oregon and registration is very reasonable. There are also many places to camp here so you can make sure all the bugs are worked out of your trailer before you hit the road. You can get the information for that at State of Oregon: Oregon DMV

It is rather difficult to find a 2500 Suburban around here if you are in a hurry. I recommend, if you can, finding a trailer that you could pull with a 1500 Suburban, or get a 4 door pickup truck, they are very common and there are always many for sale.
craigslist: portland, OR classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events is a good place to look.

Registration is good for 2 years here, and every 2 years you need to have the vehicle emissions tested to be able to register. This is transferable so if you get one with valid license plate tabs you just have to pay the title transfer fee. You must have liability insurance.

I have had a good relationship with Curtis Trailers (a large local dealer) http://curtistrailers.com/

bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote