Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Tow/Haul mode with TT

Hi all, I'm a newb to the forums, and somewhat to towing a TT. The last camper was a Coleman tent trailer. We bought a 2015 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 V8 and a new Passport TT dry weight is about 4800 Ibs. We are planning a long trip across Canada and I was wonder about the advantages or dis advantages using the tow/haul mode.
sincky64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

tow/Haul Mode minimizes the shifting of the transmission, keeps trans and engine cooler. I always use tow/Haul when towing.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
Community Administrator

My MH experience with a Ford F53 Gas engine was that the tow haul worked great on hills up and down however reduced my mileage by 1 MPG. Not sure if this is applicable to your situation but I thought it would be worth looking into. YMMV

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Basically what tow haul does is 'hang' in gear a bit longer when accelerating and drop down a gear quicker when slowing...

It all depends on your load and the capabilities of your drive train...

either way won't 'hurt', but for us, we never used tow haul except to turn it on to help with engine braking...

but, our engines had more than enough power to pull what we were towing/hauling... YRMV

good luck and it's YOUR combo - try with or without and figure out which seems best to you
Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

True Tow/Haul may reduce gas milage slightly, but it's benefits far outweigh that, less strain on your trans. temps .
Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When towing use it, it changes the shift patterns to save your tranny and engine.

Sorta pay me now or pay me really big bucks later.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

I use it every time I tow. I'd rather pay a smidgen more in gas and take better care of our new truck.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Are you using a weight distribution system? sway bar? TT have breaks (if so do you have a control in your truck?)

I always use it up and down hills mostly. I like it.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Good Questions GVJeeper Have to know what he has to get started correctly. Thankfully i had a Son In Law already into TT to get me started . Not that he was always correct,but a big help !!!
Old 06-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Thanks for all the info. Yes I guess I did forget a few details. I have a weight distribution hitch. Tandom axle with electric brakes. Truck has built in trailer brake.
sincky64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincky64 View Post
Thanks for all the info. Yes I guess I did forget a few details. I have a weight distribution hitch. Tandom axle with electric brakes. Truck has built in trailer brake.
OK, but how close are you to your towing limits? If you're more that 50% of that limit, you should be using it... in my opinion. It's there for a reason. The designers of your tow vehicle engineered it to keep the heat buildup and loads on that vehicle down as much as possible. My truck is capable of towing about 16K and my TT is about 7,200 loaded, but I still use it anytime I tow. Safe travels...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

I have always gone by a 20% safety factor, now this is going to open a whole new can of beans !!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #13

I'm sure the manufacturers build in a margin of safety, don't tow over the trucks ratings and you will be fine.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #14

My tow mode prevents the truck from going into the last gear and also makes the shifting more drawn out.

I only use when going up or down hills....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow