Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

tow vehicle tire pressure

Hello all,

My TT manufacturer recommends inflating the tow vehicle rear tires to maximum cold pressure listed on the side wall prior to towing. I've always gone of the pressures listed on the sticker located on the inside of the vehicles driver side door.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nomad
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #2

You must use the numbers from the sidewall of the tire.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

You dont have to but it is wise to use tires max pressure printed on the sidewall.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Your TT manufacturer is trying to minimize any propensity for trailer sway by ensuring that the sidewalls of the tow vehicle's rear tires are as stiff as possible - thus, the recommendation to inflate to maximum cold inflation pressure shown on the sidewall. Is it necessary - I guess it depends on the effectiveness of your sway control arrangement and the tendency of your particular tow vehicle/trailer to sway.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #5

Interestingly, I have never had a problem with sway control. This, and my load levelers do a great job.

Looks like I will be inflating to max pressure. Should I do the same for the front tires as well?

Again, thank you all for the great advise.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I run my vehicle tires at max cold pressure as listed on the sidewall at all times. I have 20 vehicles in a fleet and 2 personal vehicles. Our tires wear better and our gas mileage increases slightly from the higher pressure in the tires...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

None of the above.

LT tires should be inflated to the PSI required to carry the weight on the tire. To do it right you need to know the weight on the tire and have the load/inflation table for that size tire handy.

For example, a late-model Ford F-150 with the HD payload pkg has LT245/75R17E tires. Here is the load inflation table for those tires:

PSI . max weight
__ . --------
35 . 1770
40 . 1945
45 . 2110
50 . 2270
55 . 2430
60 . 2595
65 . 2755
70 . 2900
75 . 3050
80 . 3195

It's okay to inflate the tire to 5 or 10 PSI more than indicated in the load/inflation table, but more than that and your ride deteriorates and the center of the tread wears out faster.

Example: A recent CAT scale of my rig with the WD hitch hooked up showed I had 3280 on my front axle, 3620 on my rear axle (6800 GVW compared to 7200 GVWR) and 3620 on the trailer axles (10,420 GCW compared to 14,000 GCWR). Or 1,640 on each front tire, 1,760 on each rear tire, and 905 on each trailer tire. If I had those tires LT on the pickup, then applying the table, I needed only 35 PSI in each tire, front and rear, to safely handle that load. Pumping up the tires to 45 PSI all around would give me 4,220 pounds of tire weight capacity on each axle. Pumping the tires up to the 80 PSI on the sidewall would be madness.

P-Series (passenger car tires) are different. My F-150 door sticker says to inflate my stock P265/60R18 tires to 35 PSI all around. That will be plenty if I don't exceed the GVWR of the pickup. But I'll pump them up to the max of 44 PSI when towing on long road trips.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For a TT or 5th wheel the tire manufacturer says to inflate to the max pressure on the sidewall especially with ST tires.
This is different than for motorhomes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
For a TT or 5th wheel the tire manufacturer says to inflate to the max pressure on the sidewall especially with ST tires.
Maxxis publishes the load/inflation table for their ST (trailer) tires. So that's at least one tire manufacturer that disagrees with you. Click on the following link to see the load/inflation table for Maxxis ST tirews:
http://www.maxxistires.com/Repositor.../m8008load.pdf

Granted, nost trailer manufacturers say to inflate the trailer tires to the max - but that's because they usually include stock trailer tires that have to be inflated to the max to support the GVWR of the trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Maxxis publishes the load/inflation table for their ST (trailer) tires. So that's at least one tire manufacturer that disagrees with you. Click on the following link to see the load/inflation table for Maxxis ST tirews:
http://www.maxxistires.com/Repositor.../m8008load.pdf

Granted, nost trailer manufacturers say to inflate the trailer tires to the max - but that's because they usually include stock trailer tires that have to be inflated to the max to support the GVWR of the trailer.
Maxxis is one of the very few ST tire manufacturers that allow the use of various load inflation pressures for their ST tires. You can call or email your area Maxxis tire rep and get the canned answer - from a live person. They will tell you that they only support tire inflation pressures set/recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBD View Post
Hello all,

My TT manufacturer recommends inflating the tow vehicle rear tires to maximum cold pressure listed on the side wall prior to towing. I've always gone of the pressures listed on the sticker located on the inside of the vehicles driver side door.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nomad

This might sound harsh but it’s the truth. That travel trailer manufacturer has no business recommending tire pressures for your truck. They didn’t build it. All the information needed to establish the towing pressures for your truck can be found in the owner’s manual and/or the tire placard. If in doubt ask the truck manufacturer.

FastEagle
Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
This might sound harsh but it’s the truth. That travel trailer manufacturer has no business recommending tire pressures for your truck. They didn’t build it. All the information needed to establish the towing pressures for your truck can be found in the owner’s manual and/or the tire placard. If in doubt ask the truck manufacturer.

FastEagle
Not only harsh, but probably dead wrong.

As was stated above, the tire needs to be inflated to carry the load according to the tire manufacturers load/pressure charts.

And you should wiegh the vehicle, with and without the trailer hooked up.

Remember the exploding firestone explorers?
No way in he double hockey sticks I would trust or rely on (particularly Fords) tire pressure recommendations when operating a vihicle at or near max loading.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Not only harsh, but probably dead wrong.

As was stated above, the tire needs to be inflated to carry the load according to the tire manufacturers load/pressure charts.

And you should wiegh the vehicle, with and without the trailer hooked up.

Remember the exploding firestone explorers?
No way in he double hockey sticks I would trust or rely on (particularly Fords) tire pressure recommendations when operating a vihicle at or near max loading.
Regardless of personal opinions what I said is the industry standard. I seriously doubt a tire manufacturer, any tire manufacturer, would openly argue tire pressures with a vehicle manufacturer, an vehicle manufacturer. The DOT says vehicle manufacturers set tire pressures for their vehicles.

Most untrained people using tire load inflation charts to adjust their tire pressures do not know how to apply the correct pressures. Here is a short PDF from Bridgestone that explains most of the correct procedures. It clearly says the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressures found on the tire placard/certification label are the minimum standard to work from.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

Note: Motorhome tires are fitted to accommodate the vehicle’s GVWR. RV trailer tires are fitted to accommodate the vehicles’ certified GAWR.

OOPS! Forgot to mention. Automotive vehicle tires - cars, pick-ups, SUVs etc... - are mandated by the DOT to have a minimum amount to load capacity reserves.
FastEagle