Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Towing

I have a 8000 lb. 35 ft. travel trailer that I pay a guy $45 to tow about 1 mile to my lot, and then back to storage in the fall (association rules). The drive is flat with some turns. My question is can I tow this short distance myself, with a Mercury Mountaineer rated for 7000lb, and can I do it without stablizers. Thanks much!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

I've moved my 30ft a couple of miles with my 97 Z-71 but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of going long distances. Without a weight distribution hitch, you may have a problem when you put 600-800+ pounds on the back of that SUV.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I checked the tow rating of Explorer/Mountaineer for model years 2005, 2007, and 2010. With the V8 engine, they all had about 7,000 pounds tow rating. You do have the V8 engine, right?

For only one mile, I would do it. But only with extra steps:

1. Remove every ounce of weight from the SUV that's easily removeable - including passenger seats, spare tire, jack, floor mats, etc.

2. Do not have anyone in the SUV except a skinny driver.

3. Plan ahead, so you have only about a quarter-tank or less gas when you make the move.

4. Make the move in the middle of the day, so there is no chance that you will have to turn on the headlights during the move. Your headlights are going to be aiming at the stars and blinding oncoming traffic if you try to make the move in the dark.

5. Scout the route and be sure there are no concrete or steel bumps in the way that the ball mount might snag on. My concrete barn floor is only a coupla inches high, but the bottom of the ball mount will not clear it unless I have the weight-distributing hitch cinched up.

6. Make the move outside of rush hour traffic times. Then be the pokey ole grandpa moving at slow speed when on the street.

Use your head and all should be fine.

Good luck.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I awoke in the middle of the night worried about you. I covered getting the weight out of the SUV, but not out of the trailer. But yeah, empty the trailer too. Drain the fresh water tank and the holding tanks before you move the trailer. Move dishes, flatware, pots and pans, etc., out of the trailer, and be sure the basement storage area in the trailer is empty. Remove the propane tanks. You can haul all that stuff to the trailer using the SUV on a seperate trip.

Also be sure the SUV is set up for towing a lighter trailer, including 7-pin RV plug and electric brake controller. You don't want to be on the road for even a short distance without trailer brakes. If you don't already have a brake controller installed, it doesn't need to be permanetly mounted in or around the dash, but it does need to be plugged in with the gain pre-set to about 6 or 7 so the trailer brakes work.

If your ball mount is set up for a drop, turn it over so it will have a rise instead of a drop. Then be sure the ball nut is tight enough. Also be sure the ball size matches the coupler. It's probably 2 5/16 inch ball, not a 2".
Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

For all the work associated with you moving it and the trouble and hassle I would continue to pay the guy $45 to move it. JMHO
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes
For all the work associated with you moving it and the trouble and hassle I would continue to pay the guy $45 to move it. JMHO
Best option and not too expensive.. I don't think moving it is the problem but I don't think the suv has the wheelbase to manuver and back the unit in and out of a storage place where there can be many obstacles.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post

I agree. Small price to pay for this conveniance.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
For all the work associated with you moving it and the trouble and hassle I would continue to pay the guy $45 to move it.
That's probably the cost-effective solution.

My first two posts assumed the SUV was properly equipped to tow a 7,000 pound trailer, including receiver with adequate weight ratings, and brake controller - or at least the wiring which makes it easy to add a brake controller.

If the Mountaineer doesn't already have a receiver rated for the 960 pounds (12 percent) or more probable hitch weight WC (without a WD hitch), then replacing the receiver will cost several hundred more dollars up front. Or else beg/borrow/buy a WD hitch rated for at least 1,000 pounds hitch weight WD. The Ford standard receiver is probably rated for no more than 6,000 pounds trailer weight and 600 pounds hitch weight WC, so you don't want to risk using it for an 8,000 pound trailer with 960 pounds hitch weight.

If it doesn't already have a 7-pin RV plug and a trailer brake controller, that's another several hundred dollars up front.

If it already has the receiver rated for 1,000 pounds hitch weight WC, and trailer brake controller with proper wiring and plug, then it's just hassle and bother to get the weight of the SUV and trailer minimized before the move, then put it all back together after the move.

IOW, if the SUV is properly equipped to tow a 7,000 pound trailer, then overloading to 8,000 pounds trailer is not very risky provided you minimize the weight in both the SUV and the trailer, then use your head during the move.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

I'd tow it a mile as is but no more. But then again $45 ain't much for 2x a year.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #10

See if that guy has a cousin in North Carolina

Tags
towing