Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #29

Since I got the Minnie in March I have had a very slow leak on the left rear tire. By slow I mean about 5 pounds a week. Not bad, just irritating to have to fill it.
Today I decided to locate the source of the leak. I filled the grandkids pool and put the tire in it. I found the leak on the inside of the aluminum wheel. I took it over to the RV dealer where I bought the Minnie and they agreed to order and replace the wheel under warranty. I did not realize that aluminum wheels were subject to thid kind of defect.
You can see the soap bubble stream in this photo.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #30

That is a very interesting find!
I have seen it before on a car and it is "easily" fixed by a weld. It is either a stress crack or a bad weld that just needs to be touched up. Assuming the dealer let's you keep the wheel, find a wheel repair person near you and they should be able to get it good as new for minimal cost.
That way you can keep it as a spare since the oem spare is just a cheap steel wheel.

Either way, push them for a new tire too, since the current one has likely got some odd wear from being run low. At east that's your story.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #31

I'm sure it is just a flaw in the aluminum casting. I assume it is a casting. The hole is in a smooth part of the wheel. These are really beautiful wheels. The dealer already said that he needs this one back for return to the supplier. Since the China Bomb tire looks perfect I'm sure I would have a hard time talking him into a new one. Maybe it will come with a tire already mounted. naaaaah
Old 11-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #32

Bummer... Keep us posted. I'm curious.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #33

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

Here's another question if you gentlemen don't mind...

Do you recommend that I get my own Weight Distribution Hitch and Brake Controller and take them to the dealer where I will get my Minnie to get them installed???
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #34

Paula sounds like a good plan to me if you don't have the ability to do it yourself and if you trust the dealer. To install the sway control we talked about requires drilling and tapping 6 holes in the frame of the trailer for the for the sway control rear ball mount. Not a bad job but it does require a little knowledge and the right tools.
I really like the Tekonsha P3 brake controller that I got at Amazon. Installation is very easy if Tekonsha makes a plug-n-play adapter (cable) for your vehicle. Check with Tekonsha for cable availability. Otherwise the instructions show how to wire in the controller.
Have you made up your mind to buy the 2101DS?

Ken
Old 11-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #35

Ken!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on equipments!

Still now...My biggest worry and fear is... if my Lexus GX 460 would be able to handle 2101DS. Especially worried about uphills.

I just got this Lexus 3 months ago and now I kinda regret that I didn't consider other options such as Sequoia.
I thought about getting a smaller TT such as Forest River R-Pod 182G but it will be too tiny for my family.

It is a tough decision for sure.

Your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #36

If your lexus has the 4.6 V8 then there is no doubt it will handle the minnie performance wise. The 4.6 V8 makes 329ft/lbs of torque at 3500 RPM. When you're traveling down the highway I'd say lock your transmission out into 5th gear and when going up hills put it into 4th gear. If your Lexus also has the 3.92 rear end then you will be extremely satisfied with youw towing performance. The only thing I would caution is the length of the Lexus. It has a pretty short wheel base which effects how the TT will handle behind you. I had a 2005 Buick Rainier that was 4in longer than your Lexus and has the 5.3 V8. Plenty of power but sway was a problem with the 25ft 4500lb camper. So we bought a suburban. But I would say for peace of mind to go ahead and invest in a Hensley or Propride WD hitch. Gauranteed to eliminate sway.
Long story short. Invest in a superior WD and sway control hitch and your Lexus will be just fine.
And BTW with the small block V8s, you can run them 4000-4500 RPM all day long and you will be fine. That's just how they work.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #37

I 100% agree with dcarver. My RAM has 3.6L V6, 8 speed, and 3.21 rear end. The V6 is rated at 305 hp and 269 # torque. It pulls the 2101DS great, even on the hills between Texas and Florida. I think your Lexus would be just fine. I don't think you need a smaller trailer.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #38

You'll be fine. Just take it easy, and drive like you are towing.
Let people pass and take your time on hills, turns and when passing trucks.
Be advised, truckers do not like RVs. I feel like they go out of their way to make your life uncomfortable.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #39

I have a 2451BHS slightly heavier than the 2101. I would advise going to a better hitch. We have the EZ Lift version of the Husky and there is a fair amount of sway with this. We're pulling with a Ford Expedition V8. Hitch weight loaded on a hitch scale we bought is 850 lbs. So figure about 100-200 lbs heavier than spec. of 630. The only thing that really lessens the sway is loading the heavy stuff (food, ice, luggage, etc.) over the trailers wheels.
In retrospect I wish I'd have bought the F-250 just so the trailer wouldn't pull/push the truck every time another pick up or larger zooms by. It does get tiring after a while.
I'd buy a Reese Straight Line hitch, about 2X what the Husky costs but at the end of the day I think you'll be glad you have it.

Welcome to the club, we love the Minnie Winnie TT.

Tags
tow, towing, winnebago