Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Towing for first time

Hi folks-

I have been reading threads after threads after threads on towing with 1/2 ton trucks and capabilities and all that jazz. I have found a couple somewhat similar to my set up but of course no two are exactly the same.

Here is ours:
2010 1500 dodge ram 5.7 hemi with 3.55 ratio with tow/haul package. (Weighs 5700 by itself)
2007 Layton skyline 150 15' (weighs 2680 empty-took to a scale)

We just got this TT a few days ago. I now understand why folks say buy the trailer first then the truck. Also, salesmen on RV lots have tried convincing us we could 'easily' pull 10k trailer. According to our numbers, I knew we couldn't. If I understand all this correctly, the most we could pull was about 4k pounds fully loaded. I was discouraged at first but we found a lot of smaller trailers that fit our needs.

Now...we are pulling a little TT. No problem but I do wonder what am I supposed to feel when we pull the TT? Since I have no real experience I don't know if what I am feeling is normal. However, this is the best comparison I have; with our previous setup we had bikes and a large dog carrier which we used to bike to laundromats and grocery stores. On the bike I could feel the tug and pull as I started pedaling. After a while and maintaining my speed I would almost forgot it's attached to the bike. I can feel that tug and pull with the truck. We do have a sway bar setup and another contraption which escapes my mind at the moment. Going around turns, everything feels great. Passing semi's or I should say, semi's passing us, is quite significant. Common sense tells me I need to start slower than I normally do and start braking sooner than I normally do as well. Both of those are not a problem but just concerned with the tug and pull.

I am seeing some other folks pulling some really big TT's with a 1500 Ram and wondering how? Even some folks on forums have listed 26-29 footers or stating weights in the 6-7000 pound range and a quick calculation tell me they are definitely over weight. Am I missing something? Am I pulling chump change? Based on what I feel when we pull, tells me I am definitely pulling something.

I appreciate any feedback folks have.

Kari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
1500 w/ 15 TT no problem. Had a 19 and a 25 ft 5th wheel and a GMC 1500 had no worrys. SO GO FOR IT and enjoy it its a life worth living so much we went full time this year

Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #3

We have a 26 foot 2000 Springdale, rated at #4,600 dry (must confess have not had it to the scales ) and tow it with a 2010 Dodge Ram 4.7 , 3.55 rear, rated at 6,000 # towing. We have had no problems ( except gas mileage 10-11 mpg while towiing ) but have not had it in the hills yet.Trans. temps. have stayed in the 100's, never neared the high end, one time crossing a very high supendtion bridge it hit 200.

I think we are border line on our capacity, but think we are safe, and waiting to hit the lottey for our 2500 !!!!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1218.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	63225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8597.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	63226  

Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

I am sure you will be fine towing your tralier you are well with in your specs

I tow a 20ft holiday rambler aluma lite tralier with a 2006 chevy colorado and according to everything I could find I was in my tow limit. I know the uvw is not the scale weight my tralier shows 2900 pounds.

We towed all over BC canada last year 5000km and had zero issues with any hill that we had to tackle. We added a friction sway bar to our WDH and it helped but was not a huge differance. And there is no white knuckling while driving and gas milage I don't get to worried about as I am towing a brick behind me.

Have fun with your new trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	63245  
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You guys sound like you have your heads on straight and are aware of what you are doing. Keep your eyes up, looking down the road and never be in a hurry. Your set-ups look fine to me. Don't worry so much about making it to the top of the hill, going down the grade is where the problems can get ya. An oversized tow vehicle makes those long towing miles days a lot easier.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 CC with the 5.7 Hemi and the 3.55 ratio tranny. My tow capacity is 8800lbs. I have a GVW rating of 6800lbs. don't confuse the two. One is the max weight for a towed trailer, the other is max weight of the contents of your truck (driver, passengers, cargo). Don't know what the GCVWR is, but it sounds like you are well within your limits. FTI, I'm looking to buy a TT between 6k -7k in weight.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

You have a GCVWR of around 14,150lbs. Leaves you some room. Below is a link to Ram's towing capacity calculator, it'll help you.

Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

using the above chart, with the weight of the truck, passengers and cargo, I'd be able to safely tow a 7700lb travel trailer.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

Do you have a brake controller? If it is not adjusted quite right you could get more tugging when you brake, instead of it being a smooth braking. You can go online for instructions on how to set up.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

I tow a Camplite 21BHS with a GVWR of 5000 pounds with a Ram 1500 (4.7L engine). No problems, and tows great. Not coming near the limits on the truck.
djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #10

I don't think the OP is asking if they can pull what they have, she is asking how pulling what they have should feel. My answer is that you should feel something back there, especially starting and stopping. Even with a light trailer you will have some sensation of the rear of your truck getting yanked on slightly while going over bumps and humps, etc.

I think you are also asking if you have enough trailer for your truck, and in my opinion this is one of those rare cases where you don't! You can apparently tow up to about 7900 lbs from the link previously posted. I'm not sure how you arrived at your original calculation of 4000 lbs. but I am pretty sure that truck can handle quite a bit more than what you have.

Hope that helps in some way.

Andre
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #11

Andre - yes. I am thinking we could have bought more trailer for our truck.. I would rather be under than over. How I calculated it was the combined weight allowance is 11,000 pounds and subtracted the max weight of the truck which is 6900. That leaves me with a smidge over 4000 pounds. I started questioning that because I have seen a lot of dodge ram 1500's pulling way bigger rigs. Ofc, all were in motion going down the highway so I haven't house ally talked to folks yet.

As for the 'feel'.... I could be just sensitive to it as I feel things a lot more than most folks.

Thanks folks.
Ramsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Something to consider.... Air drag is what you will feel usually more than weight. When increasing from 30 mph to 60 mph, the air drag doesn't double, it quadruples. Drag goes up with the square of speed. That being said, most of that comes from the frontal area of your trailer, and from the square back of the trailer. I am pulling a 29' trailer that weighs about 6400# loaded, but my mileage isn't but 1 mpg less than when I had a 19' trailer that weighed 3500# loaded.

My concern for you is that you will not like the cramped quarters for long and will be looking at larger trailers, soon. That's what happened to us... We had the small one for a little over a year before we upgraded. Now... since I have gained 6 grandchildren in the last 4 years... we're looking at Ram 2500s and F-250s and even larger TTs with bunk-house floor plans...

Enjoy... and stop worrying...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsky View Post
Andre - yes. I am thinking we could have bought more trailer for our truck.. I would rather be under than over. How I calculated it was the combined weight allowance is 11,000 pounds and subtracted the max weight of the truck which is 6900. That leaves me with a smidge over 4000 pounds. I started questioning that because I have seen a lot of dodge ram 1500's pulling way bigger rigs. Ofc, all were in motion going down the highway so I haven't house ally talked to folks yet.

As for the 'feel'.... I could be just sensitive to it as I feel things a lot more than most folks.

Thanks folks.
Wonderful.
Do you know how many say, 'I dont even know it is back there.'

Remember max weight of truck is with full bed ( relative ). Put everything you want in your truck and take a trip to the scale.

Feel:
Well....
Drag on acceleration, push while trying to stop (adjust brakes), windy = trailer trying to shake truck, at speed= that big box trying to slow you down.

Suggestion go some where you are safe and step on the brakes hard at speed, not jumping on them, but get an idea of the difference versus not pulling the trailer.

Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

You will outgrow the 1500 in no time. A 2500 is convenient. I suggest you get a stabilizer connected hitch, really helps when the semi's blow by. The hitch parts can be used on any 2" receiver type hitch.
You are wise to be under weight. Trying to stop without enought truck brake will be embarrassing, Not to mention, you insurance might not cover damages.
My2cents

Tags
towing