Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 01:24 AM   #1

Towing in the snow...

Full time and chasing down fresh snow and ice this season....I would love to hear some first hand information.

I will have chains for the truck and cables for my single axle trailer for when the conditions get bad.

I won't have snow tires on the 4x4 Tundra but the Michelin LTX m/s2 tires have some good reviews in the snow.

I have lots of passenger car snow experience but nothing towing. Hopefully, I can find a snow covered parking lot to help build experience.

Suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #2

Just take it extra slow. Don't travel with the trailer unless you absolutely need to. Do ALL your slowing down before you complete a turn (this will reduce risk of jack knifing).
Be courteous and pull over frequently to let people pass so that you aren't building up road rage behind you that may cause someone else to make a dangerous maneuver that would put you or someone else in danger.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

I tow a large enclosed snowmobile trailer. Be sure to budget for the shortened life, and frequent repairs, of the truck and trailer from road salt damage. I will never take a travel trailer out till after the spring rains clean the roads. No, the salt cannot be washed out, it is hidden in places and rusting constantly.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Towing in the snow is mostly about preventing a jack-knife crash. The chains on the tow vehicle and the trailer will help the most to prevent this from happening. Otherwise, trust your skills and instincts from previous snow driving, try to stay off the brakes in a turn at any speed higher than a good jogging speed, and if you must use the brakes do so lightly and progressively so you can feel for any slipping in the seat of your pants.

You live in CO. You have a lot of snow driving experience I'll bet. You'll be fine. Relax, remember to breathe, don't let your shoulders touch your ears, and take it easy. Above all, try not to drive while towing if you can avoid it. Being late is better than any crash you could be involved in.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

We tow a 31ft trailer to the top of the Rockies every winter 3-4 times a winter. Use your head and don't be in a hurry.

Truck and trailer stop slower than a car on dry pavement, and the same for snow covered roads.
Steady throttle, easy on the brakes.
Got to chain up during some storms over some passes with a trailer unless you have snowflake symbol tires.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I won't have snow tires on the 4x4 Tundra but the Michelin LTX m/s2 tires have some good reviews in the snow.
I have not yet towed with the Michelin Defender M/S2 tires I recently put on, but if the are like the ones I've had on an Explorer and a Tahoe, they'll be great tires.

You get extra points for having chains for both vehicles. I got into Yosemite Valley last year while it was snowing because I had chains for my pickup and trailer, and the place was nearly empty for three days. The trip was pretty easy chained up, just took it easy and made it with no excitement.

Tags
tow, towing