Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATVr:
"...the author's premise was that a car or light truck cannot hydroplane below 50 mph. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, ATVr, I just hope neither the reporter or the reportee ever have to find out the hard way that a vehicle can "hydroplane" (perhaps the wrong term for losing traction) on slushy snow-laden roads. The experience I was relating to didn't involve towing my trailer. It happens every winter when the snow begins to melt in the sun and the result is "slush." You can drive on hard-packed snow, fresh-fallen snow, even ice (if you have chains or studded tires, which I do), but the slush will "lift the tires off the pavement" and the result is NO traction. 10MPH may be considered "speed unsafe for driving conditions" by a highway patrolman, in the event of an accident caused by such conditions.

Just sharing experience, and hoping others may learn from it.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #16

I have towed several times in snow up to 12" deep and with four wheel drive had no problems. I wouldn't try trailering in the snow if not comfortable driving just the truck in the snow.I loosen the equalizer bars 2 links and lighten the brake controller a little.
rootkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:30 AM   #17

I live less than an hour from Banff National park at 3500' above sea level. We tow our TT into the mountains at least twice a month through the winter (GMC 3500 Long box 4X4, 25' Wilderness), and like Bruce said, it is more stressfull, you do have to be careful, but it is very much "doable" and safe if you make sure common sense prevails over "get-there-itis"

The area that we frequent is well above 5000', access is a twisting road, with many elevation changes, averages 200" of snow a season, and we have never been in a situation during a trip that we felt in any way in danger. Slow and steady, good driving and braking practices, watching down the road, all make it relatively safe. It's like anything with wheels and rubber tires; locomotion, and stopping same are dependant on the friction available where the rubber meets the road. Without it, you're hooped.
Drive slow, pay attention, be safe and enjoy the winter experience. My wife and I love winter camping, in some ways even more than in the warm months
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 AM   #18
CD

Dragan
I am guessing the area you refer to is usually much colder them what most of us further south encounter. Where it is below 0 most of the time the snow is more like dirt to drive on. When it is in the 20s & 30s it is a whole different ball game. When you have freezing and thawing from day to night it can be tough going. Some times you don't realize how bad it is until you're in trouble.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:16 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CD:
"When you have freezing and thawing from day to night it can be tough going." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cliff,

I sure agree with you on the freezing and thawing, we get that a lot here in the NC mountains. Makes for some treacherous conditions on a 2 lane 9% grade with numerous switchbacks. It's bad enough with just with a single vehicle, I avoid getting into it with the trailer.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:36 AM   #20

Very true, when the temp is below freezing, you do have different type of surface to drive on. We do get some pretty warm days throughout the winter, due to a phenomina called a "Chinook". Strong westerly winds, can bring the temp. up from around the 0F (-18C) to 45-50F in a matter of hours, and suddenly the dry snow is VERY sloppy. As I said, though, a little common sense, defensive driving practices, and good equipment all go a long ways towards your having a great time camping out in the snow. If you haven't ever tried it, please do! You'll be surprised at how enjoyable it really is
Wayne
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #21
CD

Dragon
I agree with you 100% about how to drive in snow. The only part of my post that was directed to you was about snow condition due to temps. The rest was directed to people that live in areas like we do (Puget Sound). Too many don't know how to drive in it and don't have any respect for it. It has been my (and others) observation that the majority of cars off the road when slick are 4X4s. They apparently don't get the concept that 4X4 only helps you go. It does't do much for stopping or staying on the road. I grew up in Idaho so am familier W/Chinooks). It's obvious you will have periods of thawing and freezing as you have bare roads in the summer, but I assume you have many mos. sometimes with snow on the road. You folks that live with that either learn to drive in it or stay home. Down here we just pick up the pieces and do all over again the next time.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #22

A number od years ago my wife and I got caught driving up Rabbit Ears pass above Steamboat Springs in Colorado in a blizzard. Lots of snow, ice and semi-trucks all over the road. Long story short-got chains, put them on all four on the truck and got home,but, never went ove 10mph the rest of the trip into Denver. The slush that got onto the brakes seemed to cool them to fast and, as a result, we had to replace all rotors etc. Cost about $1,500 (its a Ford). So, I try my darndest not to travel if its going to be snowing.
dicknoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:50 PM   #23

Myself and many I know that tow for hire. . .I could write horror stories all night. The wiser of us only tow in snow long enough to get off at the FIRST opportunity. I got time to wait on the Sun and the plows. I wager to say every RV dispatch office there is has photos to impress their drivers with.

Cheers,
OTR PU