Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
How are the bumper-pulls when it's really blowing on the interstate? Does the tail wag the dog?

No problem when hitch is set up correctly(trailer level & tow veh is at the same attitude when unhitched) along with sway control.

Mine is 35' , 10k # trailer, $250 husky hitch & friction sway control

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #16

We have a 35 foot travel trailer towed by a 350. Generally no issues but last week in the wind I had to pay a bit more attention as it moved around. Guessing that if I was a little longer or shorter it would have been the same. They are making them longer and going back 10 years everything 38 feet and over was designed to be in permanent places for the most part but not anymore. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for all the input. Gives us a lot to think about. After the response we may think about the Rockwood signature ultra lite as it is under 35ft. hitch to bumper and lighter than the Jayco. I do not want to exceed the combined weight either. Did not think of that one. Again I was told the Jayco is a way better built trailer but looking at the two the Rockwood seems to be finished nice. None of them I don't think are really built with super quality control. I am just a little worried of the vacuum bonded floors with the thin luan like material down the road with a spongy floor. Again want to only buy one trailer and make the right decision so again thanks for the feedback on my questions.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #18

Bumper pull trailer

My TT is 38" hitch to bumper and have no problems with wind from trucks or mother nature while travelling. I am sure once you get your equalizer hitch and get it set right you will have no problems. My 05 Dodge 5.9 pulls it like a dream up hills and down, I use the trailer tow setting when on large hills and it works great when going down as it helps keep you from having to use the brake a lot and does not shift up and down when pulling. I swear by the original Equalizer hitch and it is easy to set up. Do not have to remove anything while backing up so that is also a plus.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
You got a big cooler on that rebuilt trans? Maybe a temp gage? You'd reall love an exhaust brake I bet.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlor View Post
My TT is 38" hitch to bumper and have no problems with wind from trucks or mother nature while travelling. I am sure once you get your equalizer hitch and get it set right you will have no problems. My 05 Dodge 5.9 pulls it like a dream up hills and down, I use the trailer tow setting when on large hills and it works great when going down as it helps keep you from having to use the brake a lot and does not shift up and down when pulling. I swear by the original Equalizer hitch and it is easy to set up. Do not have to remove anything while backing up so that is also a plus.
Dennis do you know the unloaded or gvwr of your trailer? We are leaning toward the forest river rock wood signature ultra lite and it is unloaded right at 8000lbs. This way we will not be above the 10,000lb limit on bumper pull and combined weight. Thanks for your input Jim
Old 05-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #21

I'm not sure I understand. A few stairs in the 5th wheel are too much, but you can manage to climb in and out of that big truck?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #22

Dennis forgot to mention to you that your 05 has I think 90 more horse and about 150 ft lbs of torque more that my 01. I would think I should be able to pull loaded at 9500 ok with a equalizer hitch and be good to go. Again I could install an edge comp box to get a little more power if needed. Thanks again Jim
Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #23

Joel the truck is not a 4x4 it is 2 wheel drive so at 6"4" tall I can slide right in. I was in a motorcycle accident 41 years ago with a drunk driver and I have had back surgery a hip replacement and still need a knee which I have worn a full leg brace on for 40 years. At times it is hard to just walk but steps are very hard to do. This guy is one messed up body but still trying to enjoy my retired time. My wife and I have talked about a ramp at the entry so no stairs. Feel very blessed if you have no aches or pain as I have lived with it for 41 years but thank the lord I am alive and can walk. Sorry for the long reply but your comment I did understand as the average person does not need steps to get into a 2 wheel drive trunk. Jim
Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #24

My TT is an ultra light, only 8000 lbs max weight, but is 37.9 FT tongue to tail. I used to pull it with a 1/2 ton when we first got it, using an equalizer hitch it was pretty tame. Only in the heaviest of winds did it get a little waggy, and even then it wasn't more than the truck could handle.

With a heavier 3/4 ton and the same hitch, it's non existent.

Obviously your truck's ratings aside, they've covered that for you well enough, length will largely be negated with a decent hitch like the equalizer or similar. Generally the behavior of the long TT wagging is dependent on the weight of the truck itself, a good hitch takes care of the rest.

Tags
towing, tow