Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #1

Towing power

I have a 2010 ford 4.6 v8 and according to what i have seen it is saying i can tow 6200 lbs but the more i check the more i get confused. I have a 2005 starcraft, 6ft side out that the dry weight is 5300 lbs and i am assuming that i have the power to pull it in any circumstances but i am not sure i can believe what the book tells me. I pulled it home from the place i purchased it which is about 20 miles, did not feel like the truch labored in any way and i was wondering if anyone has a simuliar truck that shows the limit of pulling power. Do i have anything i should be aware of?
jim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jim22 - The first thing about tow ratings is that they are the result of subtracting the curb wt of the truck +a 150lb driver from the CGWR (the max allowable weight of the truck and trailer). So by defination it does not include any additional payload in the truck - passengers, gear, hitches, etc. You also need to make sure that you have the right rear end gears to handle that size TT. It also makes a difference if you have the 2 valve or 3 valve engine and if you have the max tow pkg or HD Payload Pkg. That said, I looked at the Ford Towing Guide https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...2010/F-150.pdf and found that the tow ratings ranged from 5400 to 9400 lbs (there was no 6200 lbs listed). Be sure to check out all the equipment your truck has before reading the guide.

20mi - probably flat residential style streets - maybe 45 MPH top speed - just about any combo can do that. Traveling on the freeway at 55-60 or pulling a grade will be the real test. Watch for rising temps in both the tranny and coolant as they will be the first sign of real strain on the drivetrain.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your 5300# dry weight is an unloaded trailer with no options susch as A/C, Microwave, awning, television, batteries....and certainly does not include, food, a bit of water, clothes and other camping supplies. Figure something closer to 6000# plus when ready to go on a trip.

On your 6200# tow rating, as noted, if you have a base model truck (does not even include the hitch), and only you, you are already at limits.

What it boils down to is you need a bit more truck. You might look at the axle ratio and see if you can go to a 3.73 axle or a 4.10 axle and get the ratings you need.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One quick test you can do is to take the two GVWRs ( the TV and TT) and add them together - compare the sum to the CGWR for your truck the sum should be less than or equal to the CGWR.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
IC2

I'll throw my $.02 in from experience.

My long gone F150 had a tow rating of 8000 pounds with a 4.6. It was used to pull an ~7000 pound loaded 29' TT. It did - but that was about all it could do - and you had best not be in a hurry up any hills. I moved up to a 5.4 powered F150. This also had an 8000 pound rating. Much better. I could get into details, but you do have to be aware of the data plate on the door post and do your homework as far as final drive ratios, tires, transmissions and coolers.

I finally moved up to a 6.8 V10 F350 (as well as a much larger/heavier unit) but did pull the 29' TT a couple times What a difference it makes when you have a vehicle that is built to do real work.

What this all boils down to is that a F150 with a 4.6 can do a credible job if it is paired with a trailer that is within the data plate as well as the supplied equipment
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our F-150 4.6 V8 pulled our T/T, with all added extra certified weight was 5662#, it did pull it without any major problems, but steep grades, and hills but it under a strain. If towing in hills, etc, be sure to turn the OD off, will do better. I now in addition the the F-150 have a Ford V-10, much better at pulling and just as good fuel mileage. As stated, you can never have to much truck.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAmber
Our F-150 4.6 V8 pulled our T/T, with all added extra certified weight was 5662#, it did pull it without any major problems, but steep grades, and hills but it under a strain. If towing in hills, etc, be sure to turn the OD off, will do better. I now in addition the the F-150 have a Ford V-10, much better at pulling and just as good fuel mileage. As stated, you can never have to much truck.
Hello,
I purchased a 26 foot TT (7700lbs) and a 2005 Ford 150 5.4 liter 8 cylinder 3.73 axle ratio with HD tow package.

I am a newbie to camping and I'm all in thus far. I hope my Ford will be able to tow. I got it home by using an F250 super duty crew cab without any issue. Is was looking at buying a used 250 but I thought the super duty was too long for my driveway.

I hope my F150 can do the trick. The charts read a max of 9500 lbs if I read it correctly.
Atr786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atr786 View Post
Hello,
I purchased a 26 foot TT (7700lbs) and a 2005 Ford 150 5.4 liter 8 cylinder 3.73 axle ratio with HD tow package.

I am a newbie to camping and I'm all in thus far. I hope my Ford will be able to tow. I got it home by using an F250 super duty crew cab without any issue. Is was looking at buying a used 250 but I thought the super duty was too long for my driveway.

I hope my F150 can do the trick. The charts read a max of 9500 lbs if I read it correctly.
Bigger is better!!

But with that said, that F150 will be fine. I did exactly that same thing with an F150 and a 7000+ pound 27' TT and using that basic engine/differential ratio but the 2 valve version. Your 3 valve will be better yet. You might consider an anti sway device too as the truck is a bit softly sprung vs an F250. There are also special hitches as well, but very expensive vs that $100 sway device.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote