Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #15

Another PUXer heard from! This is so great....I feel right at home here!

I told Darrell about the vehicle-specific mirrors and we're going to get them. I would feel safer with them even if he thinks he'd be ok w/o them. And, I'm going to learn to tow with this one....I've put off learning for the last 4 years and I guess it's time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #16

To me, that is too much trailer for that truck.
You don't have a very long wheelbase.
I pulled a 27' TT with a Tahoe and above 55mph, the trailer pushed me all over.
Granted, I had P rated tires and I know now that LT tires would help.

5300lbs is dry weight.
What about full propane, full water etc.
I'll bet when you load it up for a trip, you are looking at 6500-7000lbs, depending on how much stuff you take.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #17

We thought about all of this very carefully before we decided to buy. It's also why we put the call into Toyota directly and talked with their service techs.

We don't travel with water (hookups or fill the tank when we arrive) so that's a lot of weight we won't have to worry about. The LP will be about 60 pounds and the gear will be about 500 tops. Just add us and we're good to go. I hope!

I'll let you all know how it goes when we tow it home tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
To give your self some peace of mind and to put the weight ney sayers to rest (or prove them right), you could always get the truck and trailer weighed. I had the same concerns with a previous setup and after getting everything weighed, I knew real numbers and was able to make informed decisions. The problem with published manufacturer's weights is they are not always accurate. I think you are probably fine, but it is close enough that I would personally get the real weights. Good luck, and enjoy the new trailer.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #19

Excellent suggestion, Rick! Thanks! I think that's a great idea.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
To give your self some peace of mind and to put the weight ney sayers to rest (or prove them right), you could always get the truck and trailer weighed. I had the same concerns with a previous setup and after getting everything weighed, I knew real numbers and was able to make informed decisions. The problem with published manufacturer's weights is they are not always accurate. I think you are probably fine, but it is close enough that I would personally get the real weights. Good luck, and enjoy the new trailer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not a ney sayer, I have done lots of research and have weighed lots of rigs.
People go off of weights in brochures and you can't do that.
Unless you want a stripped down basic model truck or trailer, but you start getting options, and they add up in weight.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #21

Another PUX'er here too! We we're beginng to look at a TT but knew we ultimitley wanted a 5'er. I was dealing with a salesman about some via e-mail, and he sent an e-mail about 7pm on a thursday, telling us about a 5'er that just got traded in that fit what we were wanting in the first place. We ran down there the next morning, to look at it and ended up working out a deal and going full tilt all the way to our "dream" 5'er. I still hang out at PUX though. Mostly because it's more active than any other forums.

All your question apply the same way as a pup. Uou got to stay within the numbers and respect them. Get whatever gear you need to keep it behind you instead of beside or in front. You will see a big diffrence in pulling. There will be a big change in wind resistance, and the overall feel about it.

The good news, is it aint nothing you can't get the hang of. Practice in an empty parking lot on backing, using a spotter to keep an eye on the limits.

Most importantly, don't let it sit in the driveway, get some bugs on the front for us.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #22

Brought the new rig home this weekend and it towed like a dream! We've never had to use a stabilizer bar before so that was a new learning experience but otherwise, all went very well. Backing it up into our yard (the side yard has a slight and elongated incline....all gravel) was easier than either of us anticipated and then we spent the rest of the weekend practicing hitching up (lots of new things to learn with a TT as compared to a PUP) and deploying the awning.

I must say that I LOVE this new awning and will not ever miss that old manually deployed thing on our old rig! What a difference!

Then, I put all of the stuff that I took out of our PUP, into the new TT and we're good to go. So much storage that we aren't using---it's like a palace! And, despite my mother telling us that we'd want to take a television along, that isn't going to happen.

We hit the road for our maiden voyage this Friday. I can hardly wait!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #23

Way to go!!! You did the right thing and asked for advice and got a lot of good answers.I remember doing all the homework for my first big trailer,around the same size as yours.Enjoy that feeling,once you become a pro at towing you will wonder what that anxiety was all about. Good Luck from the other coast

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote