Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #1

My DH and I are moving up to a TT (from a popup) and his biggest worry is how it's going to tow. So, he asked me to ask all of you about this and hopefully he'll get whatever information it is that he needs.

We have a 2003 Toyota Tundra, 4X4, V8 (w/tow package/tranny cooler) and Prodigy Braking System. We're buying a 25' Jayco Jay Flight TT and the weight isn't an issue with our rig. The dry weight of the TT is about 5,300 pounds. What he wants to know is how it will pull, and how the steering/directing of it will be. He kept looking at it at the dealers and saying "it's SO big!" and I think the size is intimidating him a bit.

Anything you can share that will help? Thanks!
Wendy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #2

My DH and I are moving up to a TT (from a popup) and his biggest worry is how it's going to tow. So, he asked me to ask all of you about this and hopefully he'll get whatever information it is that he needs.

We have a 2003 Toyota Tundra, 4X4, V8 (w/tow package/tranny cooler) and Prodigy Braking System. We're buying a 25' Jayco Jay Flight TT and the weight isn't an issue with our rig. The dry weight of the TT is about 5,300 pounds. What he wants to know is how it will pull, and how the steering/directing of it will be. He kept looking at it at the dealers and saying "it's SO big!" and I think the size is intimidating him a bit.

Anything you can share that will help? Thanks!
Wendy

Old 07-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
zip

For starters, congratulations on your new TT. You should get a weight distributing hitch to spread the tongue weight of your new trailer out along the truck frame and prevent trailer sway as you tow.

zip.94 Terry 5'er 30.5ft.
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #4

I remember picking up our first trailer - it was 25' Jayco, towed by an Astro van, had my sister follow me home I was so nervous,

Take wider turns, practice backing at a large parking lot, I personally think it's easier to back a longer trailer than a shorter one,

As far as towing characteristics, make sure you have a good weight distributing hitch AND sway control, many people confuse weight distributing bars as sway bars, at the very least get the Reese dual cam sway control system or the "Equalizer" brand hitch, top of the line would be Hensley and Pullrite.

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #5

We're definitely getting the WDH and stabilizer bars. Those 2 things were 'musts' as far as we are concerned. The dealership didn't think we'd need extended mirrors but I wonder about that.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a WD and sway control hitch such as a Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-i-zer which have both Wd and sway control in the hitch. next thing is you 5300# dry weight trailer will probably be closer to 6300# wet and loaded for a trip. I'm not sure what the "tow rating" is for your Toyota, but you need to cut back to about 80% of this rating for a loaded trailer weight. Tow Rating is based on a base model truck, with no cargo, no options, no hitch and only a 150# driver. Add the hitch, cargo, passengers and options and the tow rating is reduced pound for pound.

You are probably going to be pretty close to your trucks limits with your trailer.

As for mirrors, you will need to get them extended so that you can see down both sides of the trialer and I mean se the sides, not just the front corner. I doubt if the stock mirrors can see this far.

Number one rule in RV shopping is Never believe the RV salesman. His goal is to sell RVs.

Ken
Old 07-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #7

The truck will pull up to 7100 lbs max but we have no plans whatsoever to ever max out the weight! We're fairly minimalist campers, when all is said and done. Heck, even when we fully loaded our popup, it didn't top 4000 lbs!

We wanted to be sure about the towing ability so we called Toyota directly and spoke with their service tech manager, who was able to confirm 7100 max.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:25 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheBeans:
The dealership didn't think we'd need extended mirrors but I wonder about that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Check the WA state vehicle code. Most states require that you have mirrors that allow you to see down each side of the trailer and see traffic behind the trailer. At minimum, this is a safety issue that you should not ignore.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #9

Well Beans, long time no talk to...probably from days gone by @ PUT.
Sounds like you're being adventurous, just like us this past season. Tell hubby he'll be just fine, as long as he takes time & you give him a little confidence wink!! I had my doubts at first, too but got used to it fairly easy.
Here's wishing you & yours a great new season of adventures w/your new "toy".

'05 Fleetwood Mallard 180CK
ThunderRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #10

Hey Thunder! Good to see you again! I think it was PUT where we first met up, wasn't it?

Thanks for the encouragement....we pick up the new rig this coming Saturday!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:02 AM   #11

Get the mirrors! Since the Tundra is slightly narrower than a full size pickup, you will need extended mirrors. You need to be able to see down both sides of the trailer and traffic behind, as mentioned above, to be legal. Also get some convex mirrors to see the blind spots. Have fun.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #12

Hi Wendy!

Congrats on the new TT!

Jayco is a nice trailer.

Let me know how it pulls, as you know we have the same TV and are not too far behind you
Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #13

Hi Mike! Good to see you here! I'll let you know how the towing goes. We pick it up on Saturday and I'm SO excited!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #14

I see another PUXer going to the Dark Side! Congratulations on the TT!

When I had my PU, I had no WDH, sway control or brake controller (surge brakes!). After getting a real education on the TT forums I made sure that:

1. I got a Prodigy brake controller. There are better ones out there, but at a significant cost. Install is easy and I set it once and it silently goes about its business

2. I had the dealer upgrade us to a Reese dual Cam HP hitch. The HP combines WDH and sway control in one package. No friction bars to adjust or remove before backing up. The rig handles like its all one piece.

3. We purchased extended slip on mirrors. One tow without was all I needed to add 'em to the list. The ones we got are made for the specific vehicle, not "generics". I hear the generics are always moving.

Best of luck on your new TT and happy camping!