Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Towing TT F350

I tow a TT and thinking about a new(used) truck F-250 thru F-550
Which should I buy single rear wheel or dule rear wheel,I love the looks of the single rear wheel but only want to buy once.I have a ford SUV Expedition now and and it seems to be a bit light for the job and wind and trucks are a problem.I tow a 24 Open Range Roamer.
Also what engine do most of you prefer.

6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Many things to think about:
Budget on buying the vehicle
Budget on maintenance for the vehicle
How else you'll be using the vehicle

For me, nothing less than a one ton dually. But if you're dead set on a SRW, one ton still, no question.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
That is a pretty broad question. I will try to give you what my thoughts might be with your issues. I think you realize that a 250 will handle your present TT Ok. I would think that a 350 SRW will be a little better but not a lot with your issues. I towed our 28' TT with a 350 Dodge and it did OK. When we got the 350 dually those issues went away. If you want to cover possible upgrades I would go with the 350 dually and if you have dreamed about one of those 3 axle 5ers I would think about at least a 450.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
I would say get the most that you can afford. even though your current travel trailer is on the lighter side, once you get a truck that is capable of more, you will likely look at bigger trailers. whether a SRW or DRW (unless you go F450/550 with the low rear gears), you will not likely notice much fuel mileage difference. Might as well get the big boy.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
You are current towing a relatively lite trailer. If you are looking for a truck to tow that trailer and buy only once meaning you will not buy a 1/2 ton truck I would go with a SRW 1-ton.

If you are thinking this is going to be 'The Truck' for the next 15 years and this truck may be asked to tow heavier trailers I would by a 1-ton dually. A dually will tow any trailer and 90% of the 5th wheels.

In the last 7 days I towed a 14,000 lb 5th wheel with a 2012 F-450 and a 10,000 lb goose neck horse trailer with living quarters with a 2011 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis Dually with a hauler bed. Both trucks make towing their trailers very very easy.

In the next two weeks I will be towing a 29 foot TT with the F-450. I expect no issues and no additional hitch work. Just hook to the ball and go.

Fyi - SRW trucks will be limited by how much weight the can carry. DRW trucks can carry so much more.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As stated , when shopping think about the future, but since no one can predict the future, be prudent with what you get...

And be aware that in a 350 (like many ) there are about 10 configurations with about 10 different GVWR's.

Our new 350 srw ccsb has an 11,500 gvwr and that was a prerequisite I gave the salesmen and he said that was an 'albatross' and we would have to build one... about a week later I found one coming in to a sister dealer of his and told him to go get it

Solved my problem and since I got to play one dealer on another - helped with the $$$'s too

LOVE this new truck !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
I tow a 24 Open Range Roamer.
No such animal on the Open Range website, so yours must be an older model. Their smallest Roamer TT is now a model RT288FLR, which is 29' long not including the hitch, and it has a GVWR of 9,800 pounds. Wet and loaded hitch weight should be 1,175 to 1,470 pounds, so plan for 1,470.
Roamer Travel Trailer Floorplans by Open Range RV

A 2005-up F-250 has GVWR of 10,000 pounds, and when loaded for the road should have enough unused payload capacity to handle 1,470 pounds of hitch weight of that model 288 TT. If you plan to haul more than one passenger, one dog, and a toolbox full of tools in the heaviest configuration of CrewCab 4x4 diesel, then the F-350 SRW with almost 1,500 pounds more unused payload capacity would be a good match. An F-350 DRW or more would be overkill, unless you plan to graduate to a heavier trailer in the future.

Depends on the year of the F-250: 2011-up 6.7L diesel. But those cost about $8,000 more than the 6.2L V8 gasser available in the 2011-up SuperDutys. And the 6.2L gasser is all the engine you need to drag a 9,800 pounds or less trailer if you don't spend much time crossing mountain passes of 10,000 feet or more altitude..

For older F-250s, I would prefer the V10 gasser. Stay away from the 5.4L V8 in a SuperDuty. The 5.4L was fine in an F-150, but not enough engine in a SuperDuty. The 2003.25 and later Ford diesels were either trouble prone or had low MPG because of emissions controls. So only if you can afford a 2011-up F-250 would I want the diesel engine.

And of course, if you're buying a new F-250, that $8,000 premium for the diesel can be a heartbreaker. Darling Daughter recently bought a new plain-Jane F-250 for dragging a horse trailer. The MSRP on her SuperCab Shorty 4x4 with XL trim and very few options was about $36,000. Exact same pickup with diesel engine was about $44,000 MSRP. Big difference if you don't need the extra pulling power of the diesel.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
I tow a TT and thinking about a new(used) truck F-250 thru F-550
Which should I buy single rear wheel or dule rear wheel,I love the looks of the single rear wheel but only want to buy once.I have a ford SUV Expedition now and and it seems to be a bit light for the job and wind and trucks are a problem.I tow a 24 Open Range Roamer.
You have to watch registration and insurance, especially on 450 and 550, some companies do not like them in a non commercial setting.
While it is a bit big for a daily driver, I love my pickup. Had the v-10, and despite having a 14k capability for a 5er, here in the hills of north east PA she ran out of good torque (I do not like to hear the engine being louder than DW ....lol).

2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote