Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
towing tt without tailgate on tv

does anybody do this? i did it years ago with 5th wheel but now have a tt. i cant open the tailgate all the way when hitched up (not enough room between electric jack and gate) im using my wd hitch. it cleared on my chevy but now got a dodge. seems like im always geting stuff out of the back when hitched up. just afraid going to hit the truck sides with stuff (wood,kids bikes,camping gear) will this work or will all the stuff try to blow out ?

challrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You could always use a heavy-duty cargo net. That way you don't have to worry about the gate but the net will keep things from sliding out.............

1990 Itasca Suncruiser 32'
1996 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
7 Pomeranians, a white Chuihuhia & a 1982 Honda Express Scooter
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Google "tailgate net".

$18.99 and up.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be very careful towing without a tail gate.. (Or at least a tail net)

I seem to recall some folks being ticketed for not haveing a tail gate on a pick up truck, Now the truck was empty, nothing in the bed that could fall onto the road, But still tickets were issued.. as I recall. Since I'm neither the issuing officer nor the ticketed driver (I was a police dispatcher) I can not be sure of that.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Half the trucks in Arizona do not have tailgates.
I have left mine off for two or more years and no one ever even suggested the topic.
1998 Dodge Dually 4x4 CTD
1978 Avion 34' TT
1998 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
You will lose the support the tailgate gives the bed sides. But I see a lot of pickups without the tailgates. If I did this with my own pickup, I would make a brace that fits across the rear from side to side and fits in a stake pocket.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Never heard or have read of any law preventing tailgate removal. Now if the taigate was removed while truck was loaded and load not secured then there might be a possibility (thin line ther IMO). However I have a fifth wheel cut out tail gate on my truck and am thinking that would clear the jack on a TT
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
I once read a post about TX requiring a tailgate of some sort, but have no personal knowledge. The net-gate sounds like a workable solution.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
RVHauler has the solution--a fifth wheel tailgate that has the pinbox cutout--the ones I have see are made of bar steel or fiberglass (ventilated). The cutout should allow the tailgate to drop down fully.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
When I had a 5th wheel, I took my tailgate off and used a 5th wheel tailgate .
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
We don't have the tailgate on because we have a motorized motorcycle ramp in the bed of the truck and it restricts the use of the tailgate, (a wench pulls the motorcycle up into the truck without having to drive it up...it's great) and we have never had any problems without a tailgate, with or without the motorcycle being in there!!
rzak1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of the big problems with our country is the way laws vary from State to State. I see pickups in AZ all the time without tailgates. Around 15 years ago, I drove a Ranger in CA sans tailgate without problems (I took it off before leaving home in AZ due to a rash of tailgate thefts going on back then).

I very seriously doubt a pickup bed receives (or needs) any support from a tailgate.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
From online article:

The tailgate myth

No doubt you have witnessed pickups
driving around in Texas with their tailgates down, or with no tailgate at all. The idea behind this behavior is that when the tailgate is up, it is creating drag, which lowers fuel economy. Unfortunately, removing or lowering the tailgate merely transfers that drag to the area directly behind the cab, and can in fact increase the amount of drag which the truck must fight against - raising the fuel consumption of the truck.
dwhite1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Mythbusters did a show just about tailgate up tailgate down and fuel savings. YouTube - ‪Insert from MythBusters - Tailgate Up or Down 2 (from More Myths Revisited) fuel consumption test‬‏ Enjoy.

Lynn & Colette w/ 3 kids 1 dog (Tabatha)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Atlantic Blue Pearl SLT Mega Cab 5.9L Cummins / 2015 North Trail 28BRS 32' 2015 and North Trail 24BHS 28'
StarGazer-1 is online now   Reply With Quote