Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Towing Weight Question

M new so forgive me if you find this to be a silly question.

I like the layout of the Forest River VCross 32vfks and the 30vsk. They are 7400 and 7800 lbs. They have 3000lb+ CCC. If your truck could tow 10,000lbs would you hesitate to buy either of these? The GVWR is higher than the max of the truck but does that really matter? I can't ever imagine loading more than 2500lbs in a TT. I can't imagine much over 1500 to tell you the truth.

Just to be clear, I am comfortable towing 10,000lbs with my truck. I'm just asking if it's silly to buy a TT rated to max out so heavy even though I wouldn't plan on loading it that heavy.
Lucky53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You would be surprised at how fast weight accumulated in an RV. I believe you said you have Tundra in another thread. Yes, people tow that much with a Tundra. But RVing is supposed to be fun and not a lot of work.

You would do better weighing the truck and seeing how much real towing capacity and cargo capacity you will have with the Tundra.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

I'm looking at other 7000 lb trailers, these are the only ones I have seen with such high CCC though. It was surprising to see. I'm guessing the axles are heavier duty which is appealing. I'm not trying to get something so heavy, it just happens that these are the floor plans I like. I won't be trading the truck though, the wife works for Toyota so the deals are too good to pass up.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Like Txiceman said, weigh your truck with a full load of fuel and passengers and camping gear that you would normally have in the truck, don't forget the hitch. You will be suprised how little capacity is left for hitch weight. Also the trailers dry weight will be 500 to 1500# more because of options and full propane tanks. You will be lucky to have capacity to tow a 7500# GVWR trailer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like I had said earlier, a 1/2 ton truck will reach GVWR before you reach GCWR. The max towing rating published by Toyota is established by taking the GCWR minus the weight of a base model truck with only a 150# driver.

If you want to tow a 10,000# travel trailer with a hitch weight of 12% of the trailers weight, you will need to have a cargo capacity of to handle the 1200# hitch weight plus the added cargo, passengers and the hitch.

It is nice that your wife works for Toyota and has access to a discount, but you do need to realize that there are limits to what a given truck can tow within ratings.

Maybe you need to get her to start pushing a true 3/4 ton, 1 ton and 1ton dually diesel from Toyota.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #6

Everyone seems to want toyota to make a bigger truck. Hopefully they start listening soon.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

I wouldn't tow 8000+lbs with a regular 1/2 ton. I would with a Ford with the 8200lb GVW Heavy Duty payload package.

The VSK will be 9000lbs loaded and the FSK will be close to 8500lbs loaded. And that's assuming the brochure weight is close. some options added cancel others out but some will add a little more weight.

Both are @35'+/- which IMO is too long when accompanied with near 9000lbs for 1/2 tons. The tongue weight on the FSK is 945 dry. Add the WD hitch and whatever else and it will be near 12-1300lbs. Over the Tundras receiver rating. Couple that with the low payload ratings for Tundras and you will be over the Tundras GVW as well.

JMHO but those are really in 3/4 ton territory. Power wise the Tundra stacks up well against other 1/2 tons but it's still a 1/2 ton. 35' and 9000lbs is just too much.

It's your call if you want to push the limits.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

IMO it is a matter of knowing your abilites and knowing your vehicle. Toyota are solid vehicles, from my understanding, and it would be my first choice for a replacement tow vehicle. Since you're experienced in towing, and all your numbers are good, I'd lean towards going with it.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
IMO it is a matter of knowing your abilites and knowing your vehicle. Toyota are solid vehicles, from my understanding, and it would be my first choice for a replacement tow vehicle. Since you're experienced in towing, and all your numbers are good, I'd lean towards going with it.
Why tow on the ragged edge or slightly over? The 1st time the OP gets caught by a 20-30 mph side wind he'll be all over the road. Let alone either passing or getting passed by a semi on the interstate. The wind bubble from the semi will play havoc with his setup.

He'd be better towing a 9000lb 5'er if he could handle the payload which he can't.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When starting out in RVing, I like many others were light or overloaded on the tow vehicle. This was before the days of the Internet and it was harder to get the weight information.

With the help on the net, it should help you from getting behind the 8-ball. But you have to remember that you will find a lot of "French models" out there and have to filter out the BS from the good.

There are a fair number of folks towing too much either out of not knowing or not caring. RVing is supposed to be fun, not a lot of work, so it pays to do it right.

Yes, I'd love to see Toyota to come here with a truck like my F350 dually diesel.

ken
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Another factor would be brake control with that much weight, I could be wrong but I don't think the tundra has oversized brake pads for stoping control.

Good Luck,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
Another factor would be brake control with that much weight, I could be wrong but I don't think the tundra has oversized brake pads for stoping control. Good Luck, James
I believe the Tundra has the largest stock brakes on the market. They also have a big brake kit and are presided for a brake controller.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a TT on the ragged edge of my limits but I am going to get something I like so it is indeed fun. Here in Florida we don't have the winds like some have in the Midwest or deserts, we are much more tame except during hurricanes.

That being said, I am taking all comments into consideration because I am not an experienced TT tow-er. I have been towing trailers for about 17 years though and am very confident in my abilities.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky53s View Post
I believe the Tundra has the largest stock brakes on the market. They also have a big brake kit and are presided for a brake controller. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a TT on the ragged edge of my limits but I am going to get something I like so it is indeed fun. Here in Florida we don't have the winds like some have in the Midwest or deserts, we are much more tame except during hurricanes. That being said, I am taking all comments into consideration because I am not an experienced TT tow-er. I have been towing trailers for about 17 years though and am very confident in my abilities.
Prewired, not presided.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky53s View Post
I believe the Tundra has the largest stock brakes on the market. They also have a big brake kit and are presided for a brake controller.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a TT on the ragged edge of my limits but I am going to get something I like so it is indeed fun. Here in Florida we don't have the winds like some have in the Midwest or deserts, we are much more tame except during hurricanes.

That being said, I am taking all comments into consideration because I am not an experienced TT tow-er. I have been towing trailers for about 17 years though and am very confident in my abilities.
More power to you if it all works out. I could never get away with that combo out here in Oregon. Between the wind, curvy roads, hills and mountains it just wouldn't be any fun or safe.
The wind doesn't blow like in the Midwest but a constant 8-10 side wind with gusts or a headwind would make for one long towing trip.