Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 AM   #1

Towing with Tundra MPG's.....extra tank....

hey everybody, anybody out there towing long distances with the Tundras. I drive a 2010 tundra, pulling a 2003 keystone cougar, we love both the trailer and truck, but you all know the tundras mpg are really bad.. my question to you guys is, is there a way of adding a extra fuel tank to the tundra, maybe something that i can put in the bed, like the auxillary tanks that they sell for the diesle trucks........will it be safe?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

A lot of trucks , short bed in particular , suffer from the lack of range issue due to fuel tank size. My 2000 Dodge V-10 was one, even at 11 MPG, towing. What I found was that I was wanting to stop every 4>5 hours anyhow , so adding a tank wasn't a priority.
Caution must be used as the weight of a tank with the extra fuel can put your truck over the RAWR, depending on hitch weight of the trailer.
JMHO: Get your loaded for travel axle weights before you add any more weight to the truck.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with above.. I don't want to drive that long.
But if you need a bigger tank, they are made: https://www.transferflow.com/shop/products
Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

appreciate it guys, i really need to look into the wieghts of the tundra..it just sucks cause the tundra has a 21 gallon tank, and pulling trailer im averaging 8 miles to gallon, so i guess really planning ahead before heading out....
Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

I would not plan on passing any gas stations when you travel with your trailer.
I own a Toyota FJ Cruiser that gets 21 MPG when not towing and about 12 MPG when towing my 26ft. R-Vision Trail Lite and has about 18 gal tank capacity.
I have never run out of fuel but try to stop and top-off the tank whenever I get below a half tank and never go below a quarter tank of fuel.
Most major highways have plenty of gas stations but back road travel at night can be problematic.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
I would not plan on passing any gas stations when you travel with your trailer.
I own a Toyota FJ Cruiser that gets 21 MPG when not towing and about 12 MPG when towing my 26ft. R-Vision Trail Lite and has about 18 gal tank capacity.
I have never run out of fuel but try to stop and top-off the tank whenever I get below a half tank and never go below a quarter tank of fuel.
Most major highways have plenty of gas stations but back road travel at night can be problematic.
Your post caught my I because my son and I just looked at a 2014 FJ Cruiser and I asked what the towing capacities were. No one seemed to know. I didn't realize they could tow that large a trailer.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:07 AM   #7

We travel around the country with our 2007 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. We have a 31' Puma Palomino, weighs 6900 lbs. dry.

I agree with the above. I have a couple of eagle brand type 2 safety cans for my peace of mind. Gives me another 10 gallons on board...equivalent to a half a tank.

We are currently on a 2500 mile trip. Haven't run out of gas in the truck...but sure feel better with the spare gas.

Highly recommend the eagle type 2 gas cans. American made, quality construction, quite a bit of utility for the money, and safest route I have found so far. Hope this helps. Happy trails! 😀
Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

OoThe Toyota FJ Cruiser with the standard V6 4.0Ltr engine and the automatic transmission is rated to tow 5,000 lbs (that number comes from Toyota).
I own a first year issue (2007) and was a Toyota salesman for a time.
There were no changes in the drivetrain for the FJ Cruiser during all the years it was produced. The towing capacity is based on an automatic transmission. I have no information on the standard shift transmission models. I had a transmission repair shop install an additional transmission cooler on my FJ Cruiser....Toyota does not offer any after market trans-coolers for the FJ Cruiser. My FJ also has a 2inch towing receiver that was factory supplied. Using both sway control and a weight distribution hitch my FJ does a fantastic job towing my 26ft R-Vision Trail Lite. I always travel with full 30 gal. fresh water tank and plenty of stuff. My FJ Cruiser still drives and rides like new. Toyota discontinued the FJ Cruiser last year. I know they only made it in Japan and used the Military Grade Land Cruiser Frame. The drive train is the same one (engine and automatic transmission) as is used in the Toyota Four-Runner. IMHO Toyota under rates the towing capacity of their vehicles.
My travel trailer is just under 5,000 Lbs when road ready.
Memo: R-Vision Trail Lite travel trailers were very well built and one of the lightest ever to hit the road. Their parent company decided to shut down production of towables last year in favor of building only high end motor homes.
Mine was built in 2001 and has a dry weight of 3,370 Lbs...dual axel, sealed under carriage, 30 gal tanks (fresh water, Grey water, and toilet tanks)....full bath, tons of storage, can sleep six or more, A/C, furnace, full kitchen. This model is 7 feet wide but R-Vision also built units 8 feet wide. If you are shopping for a used Travel Trailer these units are worth a look....built to last using a full metal frame (no 2X3 wood studs in the walls...actual metal studs) and fiberglass skin with excellent insulation...units built recently do have slides but that does add to the weight. If my memory is correct this company was part of the same group that made the Holiday Rambler Travel Trailers and motor homes...nice quality stuff.

Happy Camping
Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenivar04 View Post
my question to you guys is, is there a way of adding a extra fuel tank to the tundra, maybe something that i can put in the bed, like the auxillary tanks that they sell for the diesle trucks........will it be safe?
I would never carry gasoline like this. Fumes are bad news.
And even if you had this setup, you still need to stop and transfer it to the tank as these are not integrated systems.

Also, the weight would probably go over the payload capacity, which is already limited.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #10

I had a Tundra. Traded it because I got tired of stopping every 150-175 miles for gas.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #11

We also have a 2010 Tundra, my husband is looking at geting an extra fuel tank put on. We just upgraded to a Rockwood 2904 WS and got terrible gas mileage going to Florida. The 2016 Tundras now have a bigger gas tank.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a short bed F350 with a ridiculously small tank as well. I think it is 24 gallons. I thought it was going to be a problem as well but I too prefer to stop and stretch my legs every 3-4 hours and get a treat. My solution is to carry a 5 gallon diesel can in the bed of my truck. It gives me a bit of insurance if I end up a bit off track and start running low. Will get me another 55 miles or so towing if needed. Haven't had to use it yet, just peace of mind.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #13

I have a 2011 tundra pulling a north trail 32buds. I get despicable mpg and would just trade that sucker in if you're making long trips or multiple a year. 6mpg is just not worth it. Thinking of a decent used one myself.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #14

Also consider the range on a tank of fuel if travel takes you to remote locations

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow, tank