Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I find this product intriguing in both its design and operation. Appears it would be suitable for TT, 5th Wheels, and MHs as it is becomes an integral component/extension of the towing vehicle. Versus a "trailer" that is pivoting from the rear of the towed vehicle and, in some cases, impossible to back-up.
Product details on the web site are skimpy (read nonexistent)--but from the limited information, it's back-able, may skirt the double towing limitations in some states, and, with 15" wheels should handle very well. Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I find this product intriguing in both its design and operation. Appears it would be suitable for TT, 5th Wheels, and MHs as it is becomes an integral component/extension of the towing vehicle. Versus a "trailer" that is pivoting from the rear of the towed vehicle and, in some cases, impossible to back-up.
Product details on the web site are skimpy (read nonexistent)--but from the limited information, it's back-able, may skirt the double towing limitations in some states, and, with 15" wheels should handle very well. Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
"Overkill", the big red truck, is set up to haul a SmartCar, motorcycle or a 4-wheeler but this attachment would give us the option to add a golfcart down the road when necessary. Looks like it would work well to me.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
First post here ...

Hmmmm ... does this skirt the double-towing issue perhaps or cause it more confusion?

We finally got over the "I gotta have a 45' toyhauler" as our first rig and our first just may be a RT 26TRW thanks to guidance of certain Life on Wheels instructors that helped convinced us we don't need a bigger "dance hall" just to full-time in. That said, I was still fussing how we might take both a dual sport motorcycle and a small 4-wheeler with us on the road. If after further investigation this turns out to be what it appears, I could get real excited here especially since we plan lots and lots of boondocking in our future RT.

We visit the P.I. factory on May 14th so am trying to drum up a long list of intelligent questions!

David & Sheila Knapp SKP#95866
Crestone, CO
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately,my two toys are the RV, 30' 5th Wheel and a Honda Goldwing. Right now, the goldwing needs to stay in the garage while we travel and I do miss it on the road when we park and want to venture out on something other than the Big Dodge Diesel. Any suggestions?
Gene
30' Wildcat 5'er
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #6

Some things come to mind. First, since it is advertised as "not a trailer", I would insist on a letter from the company president affirming this statement and they certify no state will consider it a trailer or towing double. Second, how do you park your 5er and "extension" in the parking space length provided? It should not be easily detached if it is truly an "extension of the 5er". Watching the video, they are careful not to back around a sharp corner, only gradual curves. I know I'm playing devils advocate here, but these are things the advertising does not address. I'll bet whatever you haul will get very grimy en-route to your snowbird destination.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
It appears there is an info packet with DVD available so I have requested one so we can determine what model might work best for us. This is good timing as we plan to visit P.I. next month and we can be tweaking our desired options list as we go.

I could see how this extention could be a real issue for a 36' - 45' 5W in having enough parking space in older RV parks. We are looking at buying a 28' 5W and prefer boondocking over RV parks so I see this as less of a problem for us in all but the most dense forested areas we could imagine. That is when it is time to park closer to the road and to unleash the toys I suppose.

Grime is a problem for any toad, open trailer or extension, but I always cover my bikes or ATV's on longer trips anyway ... grime still finds its way into everything anyway. We get a lot of sand & dust storms in my valley at 8,000 feet in S. CO, finds its way into everything inside our off-grid strawbale cabin as well!
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks David, looking forward to your comments on the "Idaho Tote".
Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #9

I forwarded this info to a friend and this is the response he received from the company, its a bit out of my price range.

Date: 4/16/2007 11:21:38 AM
To: Tom
Subject: Re: Idaho Tote

Hello Mr. Brockman:
The Tote is $4,998.00 for the next 2 weeks, list of $5,798.00
Equipped with ramps, 14" 6ply tires & spare (6) ply powder coated finish and the attachment which fixes it to your primary vehicle.
If you are quite interested we are sending out a packet with a DVD and good info. I will need your street address.
Thank you!
Greg/ Idaho tote

2002 Ford F350 V10 2x4
L44SPD is offline   Reply With Quote