Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Toy Hauler vs Travel Trailer?Which Trailer is as Rugged and well-suited for Off-Road?

Considering moving from a good heavy-duty Toy Hauler (Desert Fox) to a regular camp trailer. Just got a Diamondback ATV carrier for the back of my truck to haul the 4 wheelers, so don't necessarily NEED a Toy Hauler.

I've had my Desert Fox for 8 years so will be getting something newer sometime in the near future, and regular Travel Trailers are less expensive. I also want something less than 12' tall, which is hard to find in a Toy Hauler. But I do like that Toy Haulers are generally more rugged and heavy-duty, have larger tanks, better insulation, more ground clearance, etc. than most Travel Trailers I've seen.

Getting back in to our rugged Northwest back-woods campsites often involves crawling thru rocks and ruts in the woods with truck in 4Lo, so I need a trailer with good ground clearance, heavy duty construction, larger tanks for longer stays, good insulation for the colder sub-freezing night temps, etc. With either bunk beds for the kids, or a separate little garage/bedroom for them, <30' in length and <12' in height.

Definitely going to look into other Northwood Manufacturing products. Anything else I should look at for Travel Trailers that will be as heavy-duty and off-road capable as a Toy Hauler?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Perhaps the Nash 23B or something Outdoors RV?
Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ryan gave you my answer. I think the Nash units have a built in gen.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #4

Nash 23b, change to Lt tires and move the axles under the springs. Another mod I've been considering on mine is adding another fresh water tank. There's about 40 gal usable out of the 50 gal.

You have a 1 ton? Our tongue weight is 860 lbs with 60lbs propane and 2 GC 6v batteries.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Also just discovered the Nash 25C which looks really promising! Can't wait to go see one somewhere. They come standard with a small solar panel and Gen ready, so I would definitely get a generator added. Very cool that that is an option - most travel trailers don't have that option.

They all supposedly already come with springs on top of the axles for max ground clearance.

I have a heavy 3/4 ton truck, which is more than sufficient for these smaller trailers. My Desert Fox Toy Hauler has double the tongue weight.

Also anxious to check out some of the <30' Outdoors RV bunkhouse trailers. I am guessing very similar heavy duty construction as the Nash, just a little different aesthetics/finishes.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Just check your payload rating (see tire and loading sticker, usually on driver's door). With the carrier, quad (s?), passengers and another 800-1000lbs on the hitch you could considerably exceed the truck's axle weight limit.

I really like the 25c layout. The bunks are a little narrower and the pantry a little smaller. Also, I think it didn't have as much storage in the kitchen, but I could be wrong, it's been 2 years. It seemed very open. I liked how you don't have to open the slide to load the trailer.

Our Nash is 2 years old and you couldn't tell it apart from a new one. Nothing broke, only had to adjust the front door latch. I've added led lights, but the new ones come with them.
Also changed the locks (ch751.com), installed an arp for the fridge and will install 100w of solar next month.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

Great info. Any other heavy-duty trailers I should be looking at for off-road camping?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a 21FBS Desert Fox for 10 years and when the kid went off to school and started his own life and he took his motorcycles with him so we had no more need for the hauler so we downsized to a travel trailer. We weren't happy with that particular travel trailer, an impulse buy. It was an ultra lite and I just didn't feel the quality was there, especially after the front panel delamed on it. After months of research we ordered the Outdoors RV Creek Side 23RKS. Its about 700 lbs lighter than the Desert Fox and a whole lot lighter tongue weight than the hauler. Its a sister company to Northwood and looks like a very well built RV. Check out their website.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For off-road, Nash, smaller Artic Foxes, smaller Outdoors RV (esp. Creekside) are the ones that come to mind.

All made in Oregon for some reason.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. Sold my Desert Fox in 1 day and went and bought a new Nash 25C. Had it for 3 weeks so far and have taken 2 snowy weekend camping trips to the mountains already. We really like it. Much lighter than the TH but still heavy duty, solid construction. I love the Northwood products!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #11

Congrats!

Tags
travel trailer, travel