Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #1

Toyota Tundra load limitations

Hello,new to the forum,1st post, I have a 2009 toyota Tundra 5.7 crewmax,the load weight says around 10,100. Can you fine people through experience tell me a realistic max weight TT I can safely pull with this vehicle? thank you very much for your input.
spmerriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #3

Thank you appreciate that
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmerriman View Post
I have a 2009 toyota Tundra 5.7 crewmax,the load weight says around 10,100. Can you fine people through experience tell me a realistic max weight TT I can safely pull with this vehicle?
The tow rating is the MAXIMUM trailer weight you could tow without being overloaded with a truck with no options and absolutely nothing in the truck but a skinny driver. As a general rule, subtract about 1,000 pounds from the tow rating to get a more realistic actual tow rating.

The tow rating is based on the GCWR. It tells you how much weight you can pull without overheating anything or burning up something in the drivetrain while maintaining a reasonable speed up a steep grade, such as a mountain pass on an interstate highway. But the tow rating ignores the hitch weight, and hitch weight is usually the limiter in a half-ton CrewCab pickup.

Your truck has a GVWR included on a sticker on the driver's doorframe. Toyota says you should NEVER exceed either the GVWR or the GCWR of your tow vehicle. The GVWR limits your hitch weight, and is probably more restrictive than the GCWR which determines tow rating for your CrewCab pickup.

Your GVWR is probably about 7,000 pounds. You could guess at the weight of your wet and loaded pickup and come up with an idea of your maximum hitch weight. For example, if your wet and loaded pickup weighs 6,000 pounds before you tie onto the trailer, that leaves 1,000 pounds for maximum hitch weight. Travel trailers (TTs) have hitch weight of about 12 to 15 percent of gross trailer weight, so if your wet and loaded trailer has 12 percent hitch weight, divide 1,000 by 12 percent and the result is 8,333 pounds max trailer weight. But if your properly-loaded trailer has 15 percent hitch weight, then your max trailer weight is 6,667 pounds.

So if your wet and loaded Tundra CrewCab weighs 6,000 pounds, then the max trailer you should be considering would have a GVWR of less than 6,667 pounds.

But guessing at weights is a sure way to wind up overloaded on the road. The best way is to load the pickup with everything that will be in it when towing: People, pets, cooler, toolbox full of tools, shank and ball mount for your weight distributing hitch, floor jack in the bed in case of a flat on the trailer, and anything else that you will have in the truck when towing. Then drive to a truckstop that has a CAT scale, fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded truck. Then you'll know where you stand. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR and that will tell you the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that max hitch weight by 15 percent and the answer is the max GVWR of any trailer you should consider.

Don't play games of guessing at trailer weights. Assume you'll eventually load the trailer close to the GVWR of the trailer, and you'll be close to accurate.

My half-ton CrewCab 4x2 also has a GVWR of a bit over 7,000 pounds. It weighed 6,030 with nothing in it but me and a camper shell. Replace the camper shell with people of the same weight and my pickup will weigh about 6,000 pounds before I tie onto the trailer. My TT has a GVWR of 5,600 pounds, and a hitch weight of a hair over 15 percent. With the trailer tied on, the CAT scale says:
3,040 steer axle
3,880 drive axle
---------
6,920 GVW
==========

And that's with an empty TT with only full propane tanks and a heavy battery on the tongue. So by the time Darling Wife gets through loading the trailer with camping stuff, we'll be over the 7,000 pounds limit of your pickup but probably right on the 7,200 pounds GVWR of my pickup.

So word to the wise: ignore the tow rating and concentrate on the GVWR of the tow vehicle and hitch weight of the wet and loaded TT.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Well Smokeywren said it all. I have an F 350 for our 5er and when we go to a newer 5er we will get a Dually. Its just not worth driving near or over your tow limit.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Smokey said, weigh your truck loaded fro travel and then work out the numbers.

Welcome to iRV2 and good luck.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

thanks everyone for your input,appreciate it
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #8

Thanks, I had the same question, For a 2006 Toyota Tundra.

Bill
Bill n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #9

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking here for a while.

I don't know what size trailer you're thinking about towing, but I can tell you my experience.

I've been RV'ing for 30 years and I have a 2008 Crewmax 5.7L 4x4. I couldn't be more satisified.

I pull a Jayco Jayflight 29FBS, 29ft (32'-6" overall) GVWR 8,750 lbs, 4 bikes, 3 passangers + myself and other gear.

It pulls the trailer GREATon flat land or mountains. The only thing I need to be careful of is the payload and tongue weight. Even though it has lots of power, its still a 1/2 ton truck.

There are a lot of 1/2 ton hater's that will almost always tell you to get a 3/4 ton, but the Tundra 5.7L can run with the big boys.
Lclevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill n Jan View Post
Thanks, I had the same question, For a 2006 Toyota Tundra.

Bill
I have an '06 Tundra extra cab 4x4 with the factory tow package, GVCW of 12,500, and tow rating of 7,000. I tow a 25 ft. '06 Keystone Zeppelin II with a GVW of 5500 lbs so I'm well with in the limits of the truck.

The crew cab reduces your tow capacity by a few hundred lbs so check you stickers and owner's manual. If you have the Toyota tow package, you have the transmission cooler. If not, get one!!!! A tranny cooler is a must.
Have fun!!!
MrWizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #11

I have a 2010 Tundra with tow package rated at 11,300 lbs hauling a 23' Nomad at 4750 lbs (wet). Can't even feel the trailer when towing. Heck, I've passed cars going up a grade with this TT.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizzard View Post
I have an '06 Tundra extra cab 4x4 with the factory tow package, GVCW of 12,500, and tow rating of 7,000. I tow a 25 ft. '06 Keystone Zeppelin II with a GVW of 5500 lbs so I'm well with in the limits of the truck.

The crew cab reduces your tow capacity by a few hundred lbs so check you stickers and owner's manual. If you have the Toyota tow package, you have the transmission cooler. If not, get one!!!! A tranny cooler is a must.
Have fun!!!
We do have the Toyota Tow Pakage in our truck too, plus air bags.
Thanks for your reply

Bill
Bill n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #13

I would like to know what y'all use to get your tongue weight. I know to use a scale but where do you get one that will go over what we have in the bathroom?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tongue Weight: A Critical Balance > Handyman Club of America

Here ya go...using bathroom scales.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote