Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Since we're on the subject, should some water remain in the black tank after emptying and flushing? Should I keep some water in the tank in between trips? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Yes for sure. Add your treatment per instructions it should tell you how much water to start with. I always keep water and treatment in there after dumping and returning to storage. I also use it whenever I need to while visiting it for upkeep.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechmanik View Post
My wife and I use 3rd world tactics. A small trash can (plastic lined) for all "non poop". So our ceptic system is only biological. We empty the trash can every day or every other day. No smell...
I do the same for the wet wipes. TP in the tank.

Someone will come by and write they 'chuckle' because we do this.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Since we're on the subject, should some water remain in the black tank after emptying and flushing? Should I keep some water in the tank in between trips? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Yes, and use lots of water when business is done. The more water in the black tanks the better
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
"biodegradable toilet paper made specifically for RVs."

The myth rolls on.

Well I think for some units like the vacu-flush it might be advisable.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #33

80% of the folks here are not going to change their minds regarding anything they're doing in regards to the black tank...and that's fine. The other 20% are open to hearing what others have to say and may or may not take anyone's advice from an experience standpoint.

All I can say is my wife uses a ton of TP...and not the RV stuff either..2 ply, 3 ply, 10 ply...steel belted radial ply, etc! I have NEVER had any problem with the black tank ever, never! The ONLY thing I do and ask my bride to do is use LOTS OF WATER...WATER IS YOUR FRIEND IN THE BLACK TANK!

Do what you wish...I WILL!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Should I keep some water in the tank in between trips?
Except during freezing conditions of course.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes. A couple of gallons and a bottle of the blue stuff for us.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #36

During our working careers, we had 3 different TT and for storage I kept the waste tanks empty and even left the drain cap off and valves open. The though was to allow air flow through the tanks up the vent to dry out the tanks and eliminate mold or musty smell build up. It also worked for Mich winter storage and freezing temps.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
80% of the folks here are not going to change their minds regarding anything they're doing in regards to the black tank...and that's fine. The other 20% are open to hearing what others have to say and may or may not take anyone's advice from an experience standpoint.

All I can say is my wife uses a ton of TP...and not the RV stuff either..2 ply, 3 ply, 10 ply...steel belted radial ply, etc! I have NEVER had any problem with the black tank ever, never! The ONLY thing I do and ask my bride to do is use LOTS OF WATER...WATER IS YOUR FRIEND IN THE BLACK TANK!

Do what you wish...I WILL!
I agree 100% and you sure made me laugh with that one.

But you gotta admit, these types of topics are amusing to read about the way others think. That is what is so great about our countries. We can all be different.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #38

Jayco Owners Club
Probably the best RV advise anyone ever gave me was to totally empty and flush the black tank, and then add 3 - 5 gallons of water and a scoop of Happy Campers. The sloshing of that softened water while returning home and to storage liquefies everything in there and the soft water keeps it from sticking to anything. As to TP in the black tank... yes... if you do the above, it's no problem. As to any kind of wet wipe... no. I'm currently spending a lot of money getting the wipes cleaned out of the sewer for my mother-in-law. These things are made to remain strong when wet. Regardless what they say about them breaking down... that fact remains.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Probably the best RV advise anyone ever gave me was to totally empty and flush the black tank, and then add 3 - 5 gallons of water and a scoop of Happy Campers. The sloshing of that softened water while returning home and to storage liquefies everything in there and the soft water keeps it from sticking to anything. As to TP in the black tank... yes... if you do the above, it's no problem. As to any kind of wet wipe... no. I'm currently spending a lot of money getting the wipes cleaned out of the sewer for my mother-in-law. These things are made to remain strong when wet. Regardless what they say about them breaking down... that fact remains.
Thanks. This may seem like a stupid question, but about how many seconds do you hold open the toilet per gallon?
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
Thanks. This may seem like a stupid question, but about how many seconds do you hold open the toilet per gallon?
Ewww - don't hold the toilet open! Fill then quickly flush all water. A full bowl should be a gallon, maybe a little more.

Remember, fill the bowl, then quickly flush. Do not hold your ball valve open to atmosphere if you can avoid it!
Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny5 View Post
Ewww - don't hold the toilet open! Fill then quickly flush all water. A full bowl should be a gallon, maybe a little more.

Remember, fill the bowl, then quickly flush. Do not hold your ball valve open to atmosphere if you can avoid it!
Why not? If you flush it quickly you can't see the water hitting the bottom of the tank. That is so cool!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #42

I hold it open to add more water to the tank. Got to have plenty per flush. Too little water equals big problems later.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote