Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

TPMS

Can someone recommend a good tire pressure monitoring system for a 30' TT? I am hoping to spend less than $150.00.
BeagleDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
Can someone recommend a good tire pressure monitoring system for a 30' TT? I am hoping to spend less than $150.00.
Back in January or so I picked up a Tire Minder TM55c-B with booster for about $180, but that was an incredible deal. That included 4 sensors (capable of 5 so you can monitor your spare), and a signal booster. Don't see deals like that right now. I've been delighted with it.

That deal came direct from Tire Minder, guessing it was a promotional special.

With a 30' trailer I would not be surprised if you need a booster.

Roger
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Doubtful you can get good and $150.00 at the same time

You might try some of these threads to see what they offer

https://www.google.com/#q=TPMS&sitesearch=irv2.com
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I highly recommend TST. Many here have them and they have a great reputation. I've had mine for over 3 years now and it has been rock solid and proved itself just this year when I had a fast leak on one tire.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Dagmandt, can you use regular valve stems with the TST system and no repeater? I am looking at that system and I am very interested.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
Dagmandt, can you use regular valve stems with the TST system and no repeater? I am looking at that system and I am very interested.

I think it is very much a good idea to only use metal valve stems....NOT rubber. The rubber flexes with the added weight of the transmitter, and will crack leading to a loss of air....the metal doesn't have that problem.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used rubber valve stems with the external pass through sensors without any issues for the 3+ years and they looked as good as new when I changed my tires out last week. My new valve stems happen to be metal but I didn't ask for them, it is just what they put on.

I figured if the rubber stems flexed too much I'd just stick rubber bumpers like those on cabinets just under the stem to add support but they never had any issues at all. I'd say use your best judgement. My stems were pretty short ones so I wasn't worried.

One nice perk about the external TPMS is when you put the spare on you can transfer the sensor to the spare and drive on with confidence
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
I would say no. I had the TST and had lots of trouble with the sensors coming loose on my car with very short rubber stems. I now use the TireTraker with no problems. The TireTracker sensors are smaller and weigh less.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I would say no. I had the TST and had lots of trouble with the sensors coming loose on my car with very short rubber stems. I now use the TireTraker with no problems. The TireTracker sensors are smaller and weigh less.

Did you use the allen screw to secure them? Mine have never come close to loosening up.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Did you use the allen screw to secure them? Mine have never come close to loosening up.
That was in early 2009. I don't recall any allen screw. Customer Service suggested many things, but none worked. I'm sure if there were an allen screw then, it would have been suggested. I would find a flat on the toad a few hours after towing it for several hours, and the sensor would be slightly loose. The last flat was in a bad area of Dallas after dark. I was afraid to let DW take the car anywhere. I also had 11 failed sensors in 8 months so at that point it was more trouble than it was worth. I know others have had few if any problems with the TST system, but that was my experience. Blame it on operator error, but I have not had the same problems with the TireTraker ...no loose sensors, and only one failed sensor in 6 years.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

What about the EEZ TPMS system? I've read some good reviews on it.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
What about the EEZ TPMS system? I've read some good reviews on it.

I just purchased the EEZ system 10 sensor unit. It was easily configured to accommodate the MH, dolly and car. 1,500 miles so far with no problems. It is working flawlessly. A question regarding setup was answered immediately by their customer support. I would purchase from them again.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
Following up...

I see the Tire Minder TM55c is on sale for $106 via Amazon, includes the receiver and 4 sensors. But with a 30' TT you are likely to need a repeater/booster, and the Tire Minder Booster is about $65 separately. Not bad overall.

You can even buy an extra sensor for your spare tire, which the receiver will handle (that receiver will handle up to 5 sensors).

I recommend the Tire Minder system highly, especially at the price!

Roger
Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

P.S. I hard wired my booster into my TT's 12v DC system by tapping into one of the light fixtures over the bed of my Jay Feather 23RLSW. Also put a plug/jack into the line so I can easily disconnect it when not driving. That way it's not a battery drain.

Roger