Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #15

To bad so sad for the dealer, they should have done a inspection for trade in value, just like you trade your car in the dealer looks at it frist then gives you a trade price
gbstewart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
1. I would listen to them
2. I would not say anything except I'll get back to you.
3. If you are uncomfortable with there demands, contact an attorney

In legal issues and many other things in life the best thing to do is remember the two ears, one mouth rule.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smonagle View Post
The only clause they have is the following "If I do not deliver the trade in vehicle to you when this agreement is signed, I agree, that at the time the trade in vehicle is delivered to you, should the value of my trade in be materially diminished as a result of physical damage, etc"

So basically they can't fight the value of the trade in because I delivered it before the agreement is signed. They signed it therefore they accepted the trade.

Correct?
Is there more to that quote? The whole thing doesn't make sense, since there is no remedy for diminished value
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The only clause they have is the following "If I do not deliver the trade in vehicle to you when this agreement is signed, I agree, that at the time the trade in vehicle is delivered to you, should the value of my trade in be materially diminished as a result of physical damage, etc"

So basically they can't fight the value of the trade in because I delivered it before the agreement is signed. They signed it therefore they accepted the trade.

Correct?
Smonagle, how much time did you spend reading the other guy's contract before you gave your legal opinion?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Smonagle, how much time did you spend reading the other guy's contract before you gave your legal opinion?

What do you mean?
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

yeah i would all so look out for B.S on there parts as well

this sounds like a game on his part but you are in the long run have to live with your self at the end of the day

befor saying yes to any thing when he calls ask i would ask to look at your old RV as soon as you can i would get pics of how the old roof looks befor he starts any so called fixs

if some paper work happens to pull you down in to court you may been proof of what shape the roof was in

THIS is a game that gets played at times
trade in RV
get new RV
they fix it fast at there lower cost but you pay higher cost
ask for your old RV back and it fixs to fast or its sold
pay for a new RV and new roof

even if you can walk away from like that some are saying its still good to get prof of what shape the RV was in when giving it to them and the roof ..
Old 02-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #21

The dealer even said he was screwed on the trade because they supposedly gave me more than what my old one was worth.

He hasn't asked for money or anything as of now. I just want to be prepared before he calls tomorrow.

I am fully expecting him to ask us to pay for the repair on the old roof. I wanted to be sure I had a leg to stand on before I talk to him.
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Unless you stated, implied or had anything about a warranty written down, I would say "hasta lavista" in a nice way.

I doubt there is much he can do and he's just fishing and he knows it.

As others have said, if the shoe was on the other foot, he'd be apologizing and saying there is nothing he can do.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
Rolling Stoners

I spent many years in General Management of auto dealerships. Many RV dealers are also auto dealers and most all of the sales processes are the same.

I can tell you dealers make mistakes when valuing trades. It is a serious issue that prompts a call after the fact. A roof replacement is a serious issue. Most of the time the allowance given for a trade in greatly exceeds it's actual cash value. The reason is the customers don't want to believe the true value is right so instead of discounting the new (or used) rig they will over allow on the trade.

What matters is the actual cash value. When this vehicle was received it was discovered the roof had problems which has a dramatic effect on the actual cash value (wholesale).

My experience is the dealer is held to the higher standard and consequently they make every effort to do the right thing all the time. Just look at the comments in this thread and you can see that the consumer feels no qualms about the dealer taking a hit. That's human nature.

It is also my experience that there may be some document that addresses this. If there is not you can go ahead and stick it to him. If you feel the dealer has dealt squarely and you are happy with the deal why not do the same in return? Compromise if you feel it's right if not tell him to take a walk but don't expect any assistance from them if you need it in the future.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #24
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It's always better if both parties can arrive at an equitable outcome.

It just takes both party's to agree.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #25
KIX

Quote:
The dealer even said he was screwed on the trade because they supposedly gave me more than what my old one was worth.

He hasn't asked for money or anything as of now. I just want to be prepared before he calls tomorrow.

I am fully expecting him to ask us to pay for the repair on the old roof. I wanted to be sure I had a leg to stand on before I talk to him.
AS others have said.......listen to his request/demand. Don't agree to anything during the conversation..........tell him you'll think about it. Act dumb. It works for me.
Another thing about vehicle dealers (and other businesses too)........they endeavor to make each "deal" stand on it's on. If he asks you to participate in the roof repair that is exactly what he's trying to do.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #26

The only way they could go after you is if there were some hidden issues you knew about that they can prove. It's like when you trade in a car they have you sign a form stating the vehicle has not been in a major accident, bent frame or something like that. If you lie on that form and get caught you may have a problem.

I think most of us are assuming you went to the dealer, found something you wanted, discussed prices on both the new RV and what a ballpark they would give you for your trade in. They told you to bring the trade in so they could look at it. Then at some point you brought your old RV in, they looked at it and checked it out while you may have still been negotiating, you all agreed on prices, and then signed contracts.

They have "expert" service department workers on site who do the inspection. If they didn't inspect it that is their problem. You dealt in good faith, got what you felt was a reasonable price for your trade and made the deal. Did they give you thousands more than you thought it was worth?

At this point I would not worry about having any more conversation with them. They are just trying to get more money out of you as they either over paid on the trade or discounted the new purchase too much. They can't scare you with we should have charged you more, so they are attacking the trade in as that is their only chance of scaring you into giving them more money. If your new RV roof leaks they will most likely not fix that for free. The worst they could do (at least in California) is take you to Small Claims Court to try to get you to pay for the roof replacement. Again the Judge is going to rely on a couple of things, did you lie/ defraud them(no), did they have time to inspect the trade in(yes whether they did or not), Buyer beware both ways, and who has more expertise therefor more burden of proof and held to a higher standard( the dealership). I would keep any old camping photos you have showing you using the RV and that it was in good shape when you traded it in, and to your knowledge their was not now or ever an issue with the roof..
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #27

As others have said, I agree, say nothing. Nod, smile, hang up.

If you wanted to be funny you could ask if you can renegotiate the price on what you bought since you found out it's for sale elsewhere for less, but I wouldn't (other than laugh to yourself).

I also find it hard to believe the roof it rotted out without any signs of leakage on the inside or outside. Heck, the reverse is usual -- you can never seem to get rid of the signs of a leak that you caught right away and had fixed a week after it started (and causes no rotting). The idea that your interior is perfect, the exterior is good, and that someone the magic rot has set in... not buying it.

We could get into all kinds of scenarios (for example, the first step would be to have the roof inspected by someone you mutually agree upon, at their expense), but I think it's not to your advantage to consider any of it.

Steve
Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #28

We bought our motorhome from CW in north Georgia. Had fogged d and p windows. Had that fixed. Wanted to replace carpet in drivers compartment. Got old carpet out. Found rotted wood both walls and floor on passenger side. Put carpet down and carpeted luan to hide side walls then pulled sofa to do carpet on slideout floor. Rotted walls and floor there too. I know damn well the dealer knew it but we bought it as is. Oh well they sell them rotted too.

Tags
roof