Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #71

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do they expect someone to pay for every mistake that is made at the dealership by its employees? On your new TT they will expect the factory to pay for the warranty work. If a tire had a nail in it would you have to buy a new tire? How about a crack in the frame, bad AC unit or converter? They are just fishing for some cash.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #72

Just remember that the legal advice you have received here is worth what you paid for it. If you do get a demand letter from the dealer's attorney, you will need real legal advice pronto. From experience I can say with certainty that if you get into a lawsuit it will be expensive whether you win or lose. $3,200 would be chump change in a lawsuit.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #73

I'm still with what stinks here. And the stink just gets worse and worse.

They say they've already done the work so there's no chance of an independent inspection, getting quotes from other shops, etc. So you are taking their word for everything, including, conveniently, the cost.

And of course the whole "you should have known" -- how? By the visible damage? If it was visible, why didn't they see it?

I assume you haven't found any clause in the paperwork you signed that not only makes you liable for the condition being bad, but that you have to waive the right to do anything but let them repair it as they see fit at whatever cost they deem reasonable. I suspect such a clause would be deemed unreasonable and unenforceable in court in any case (there are certainly things that you cannot sign away, even if you sign a form).

You've reached the point where the only reasonable response is to say, politely, that your attorney has advised you not to have any further discussions with them at all. And then say good day, and end the phone call.

If they file suit, then you will need to retain an attorney, but honestly, I will be shocked if that happens. And if they were to file in small claims court, where no attorneys are involved, I would still be shocked if the judge wouldn't give them a stern talking to for doing the work before consulting you before tossing their case.

Steve
Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #74

well then, they altered the roof from what they previously stated was the issue. therefore you are not provided the evidence ( even if they have photos ) to prove their case.

their just pissed you aren't recouping their mistakes.....

good luck and stop answering their calls and stop letting us respond to this.

go enjoy your new mobile mansion.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
Just remember that the legal advice you have received here is worth what you paid for it. If you do get a demand letter from the dealer's attorney, you will need real legal advice pronto. From experience I can say with certainty that if you get into a lawsuit it will be expensive whether you win or lose. $3,200 would be chump change in a lawsuit.
Really, you think the dealer is going to want to get a lawyer? At best probably small claims case
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #76
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I'm still with what stinks here. And the stink just gets worse and worse.

They say they've already done the work so there's no chance of an independent inspection, getting quotes from other shops, etc. So you are taking their word for everything, including, conveniently, the cost.

And of course the whole "you should have known" -- how? By the visible damage? If it was visible, why didn't they see it?

I assume you haven't found any clause in the paperwork you signed that not only makes you liable for the condition being bad, but that you have to waive the right to do anything but let them repair it as they see fit at whatever cost they deem reasonable. I suspect such a clause would be deemed unreasonable and unenforceable in court in any case (there are certainly things that you cannot sign away, even if you sign a form).

You've reached the point where the only reasonable response is to say, politely, that your attorney has advised you not to have any further discussions with them at all. And then say good day, and end the phone call.

If they file suit, then you will need to retain an attorney, but honestly, I will be shocked if that happens. And if they were to file in small claims court, where no attorneys are involved, I would still be shocked if the judge wouldn't give them a stern talking to for doing the work before consulting you before tossing their case.

Steve
X2

If the OP didn't see any visual damage and it was not seen in the pre trade-in inspection, I don't see how the OP can be faulted or responsible.

I reiterate, they are grabbing at straws.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #77

Look up your State limitations in your state, but in California a judge would only allow something of this amount to be heard in small claims court. You can have an attorney but the cases usually go really quick, and would most likely be done in less than 1 hour. If they are stupid enough to push this, and you got an attorney, the judge would order they pay your attorney if you win. I really don't think they are going to risk losing even more money, when they are the ones who screwed up.

At this point they are just seeing what you will agree too with their scare tactics. They have probably done this before with others who agreed to pay as they didn't want any problems with a court hearing/lawsuit.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Look up your State limitations in your state, but in California a judge would only allow something of this amount to be heard in small claims court. You can have an attorney but the cases usually go really quick, and would most likely be done in less than 1 hour. If they are stupid enough to push this, and you got an attorney, the judge would order they pay your attorney if you win. I really don't think they are going to risk losing even more money, when they are the ones who screwed up.

At this point they are just seeing what you will agree too with their scare tactics. They have probably done this before with others who agreed to pay as they didn't want any problems with a court hearing/lawsuit.
This^^^^^
Old 02-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #79

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wonder how many people have gotten a call from them saying that the floor is bad or the fridge doesn't work, please give us money.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Badger View Post
Really, you think the dealer is going to want to get a lawyer? At best probably small claims case
Actually, I didn't say I thought the dealer would get a lawyer- somebody else said he might. What I said is IF the dealer goes after this gentleman with an attorney then he will need his own attorney. I have no way of knowing what the dealer will or will not do and don't intend to speculate one way or the other.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #81

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. After signing the papers on a new one and getting ready to drive off the salesman said we owned them another 2000 bucks because the roof was repaired in a spot on top.
We told them before we SIGHNED the papers everything that was wrong. The roof etc.
We told them to tear the papers up, we were taking our old trailer back. After a few minutes, they said never mind and we were on our way with the new one. We are never going to deal with them never again!!!!!!

Tags
roof