Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Trade in with a bad roof!

So we just traded in our old camper for a newer one. The dealership called me today and said that the roof on our trade in was completely rotted. They wanted to know if we knew about this. I honestly had no clue. I had been up there the last two years of owning it and have experienced no problems at all. He dealer said he was basically screwed because we have already signed all paperwork and picked up our new camper. He said he would call me back tomorrow to discuss things.

What should I expect? Will I have to pay anything or should I?

The dealer knows he is in trouble because everything has been finalized. Thoughts/Suggestions?
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

ooh well, iam sure if it was the other way around ,he would say WHAT warrenty ,gee he did not do a PDI on your trade (ohh well)
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Even if you knew about it -- and I am not saying you did! -- it's not your problem at all. If the tables were reversed, they would say "sorry, you should have had it inspected/blah/etc." Why would we expect a supposed RV professional to be held to a lower standard than those of a simple RV buyer?

If they call, I would just be brief, polite, and firm. And then move on.

Steve
Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
As always, Buyer Beware. They know better. They should have completed an inspection before the trade was accepted.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #5

I think the dealer is out of luck. They have the resources and expertise available to examine your trailer before they purchase it in an "as is condition." Of course, if you signed paperwork you didn't read, you may have a nasty surprise if it includes specific representations to them. Go into the meeting relaxed, and keep your mouth shut. Listen and then tell them you will get back to them.

Worst case, and in any case, seek the advice of an attorney before you agree to anything.

If you didn't sign something that puts the responsibility on you, don't let them weasel you into an emotional state...cool cool dude. They are experts at pushing emotional buttons.

A judge would hold them to a higher standard of as is purchase... is my guess.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

When you do a trade like this both parties have the right to inspect what they are buying and base their price or willingness to accept the terms of the sale based on the facts at the time of the sale. The term "buyer beware" goes both ways, not just to the general public. Unless you did something to defraud them then you did nothing wrong and there is nothing to discuss.

If this ever went to Court, the Courts would consider the Dealership an "expert" in knowing the quality and repair issues with something they had taken in trade, and hold them to a higher standard. They had ample time to inspect the trade, and if they didn't shame on them. The Courts may ask you if you had any issues with the roof, and to your knowledge you didn't and as a lay person had checked it over the years, with no issues and no leaks. How do you know that after they made the deal they felt they gave you too much for the trade and now they are trying to re-coop some of the money by coming up with a roof issue. Who knows maybe while they were prepping it for resale they messed up the roof, and the worker isn't being truthful. Once everyone agrees and signs the contract, the contract stands on it's own and what you agreed to. I wouldn't engage them in any discussion, and tell them you never had any issue with the roof, leaks or any knowledge of repairs needed, and leave it at that.

Like said before if it were the other way around they probably wouldn't even return your calls. If they call you back just politely tell them that there was not a problem with the roof to your knowledge and leave it at that. Do not agree to pay them anything or to renegotiate the sales contract.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
When we traded our TT (Camping World) they spent about an hour going from top to bottom, including a ladder to the roof. I was sure they would find something to knock down the trade allowance, but they didn't.
When they took your trade they had the opportunity to look as closely as they wanted and that was the time to bring up any issues. They could have backed out or you could have backed out. The deal is done now.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I echo all said previously. I am surprised they had the kahunas to call in the first place, and would be more surprised if they pressed the issue further.

If they do contact you again be polite and succinct - don't get into a discussion - not all questions have to be answered - and not all comments require a response. Saying less says more.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #9

They never even looked at it when we brought it in. They gave us a dollar amount for it and that was it. They just inspected it today (4 days later).
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, it depends on your contract, some contain a clause that allows them to re-evaluate your trade and recover the difference if it's worth less than they originally said.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

I Would tell them sorry...SEE YA:greeting s10::greeti ngs10:

The same thing any used car or RV dealer would tell you. They got beat at their own game. Can you imagine the poor guy who buys that trailer for $3000 and finds out the roof is rotted?
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #12

The deal is done so I think the dealer will have a difficult time trying to get anything back from you. Their best options are if your contract somehow covers this situation, as suggested above, or if they can prove some kind of fraud on your part. Even then, they should have inspected your RV *before* getting it from you. This is their problem now, and I would stand firm if I was in your shoes.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

The only clause they have is the following "If I do not deliver the trade in vehicle to you when this agreement is signed, I agree, that at the time the trade in vehicle is delivered to you, should the value of my trade in be materially diminished as a result of physical damage, etc"

So basically they can't fight the value of the trade in because I delivered it before the agreement is signed. They signed it therefore they accepted the trade.

Correct?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Who says the roof really is bad? Just a phone call from the guy who wants more of your money. Could this be a new after sale scam? Conspiracy theorist here.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof