Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trading MH for Trailer

I am looking to trade my motorhome for a travel trailer. My current MH is a 2004 Newmar Scottsdale, Workhorse chassis. The internet Nada value is low retail of $38,000 and average retail of $46,000. A couple of TT that I am looking are MSRP of $24,000 and $32,000. What should I expect on a trade? My MH has a higher value than the TT. I don't expect the average retail of $46,000. But maybe halfway in between say $40,000 and the dealer paying me the difference. Example:
If I purchase the one MSRP of $32,000, I would expect a lower price than the MSRP and then they would pay me the difference. I could also just sell my MH on the open market which I have tried for 3 months and one low ball offer which I did not accept.

TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What upgrades have you done to the RV? Value? Suspension, Solar, Sat, etc.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
I am looking to trade my motorhome for a travel trailer. My current MH is a 2004 Newmar Scottsdale, Workhorse chassis. The internet Nada value is low retail of $38,000 and average retail of $46,000. A couple of TT that I am looking are MSRP of $24,000 and $32,000. What should I expect on a trade? My MH has a higher value than the TT. I don't expect the average retail of $46,000. But maybe halfway in between say $40,000 and the dealer paying me the difference. Example:
If I purchase the one MSRP of $32,000, I would expect a lower price than the MSRP and then they would pay me the difference. I could also just sell my MH on the open market which I have tried for 3 months and one low ball offer which I did not accept.
Typically, the low retail price less 20%. Anything more than that you are paying for it in the price of the TT. You would be far better off if you could sell your MH privately and then buy a TT from a private party - just a thought!

Good luck with your venture!
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My upgrades include:

Workhorse engine
Front steering bar
Genny upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5 KW
Slideout awnings
Dual pane stain glass windows
Convection oven
Corian counter tops
Upgraded cabinets
Added second A/C
Special soft type ceiling
Leather seating
Free standing dinette
Brake Buddy
Tow hitch for Toad
Front window covers

Some of these were not considered in NADA pricing. I guess I should try to reprice but NADA pricing does not include all of the above.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

You are mistaken. The NADA retail values are just that, retail. Not private party. As you can see by trying to sell for three months and only getting one "low ball" offer, you will not get the retail price in the private market. Retail price is what someone would pay a dealer to purchase your unit. Which includes their overhead and profit. Like someone else mentioned take about 15-20% off the NADA for a private sale price and even more for a trade in value. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as you can see...there is no button for "send me a check" on the NADA site.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

You would be lucky to get a straight trade. Dealer will give you wholesale or lower but never retail.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You would be lucky to get a straight trade. Dealer will give you wholesale or lower but never retail.
I agree.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Yeah, retail is what a dealer will ASK for it. They may not even get retail for it when they close the deal.
A good price on trade may save you a lot of sales tax.
Otherwise take what the free market will pay.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

Extras/add-ons the owner puts on or in do not count when trading-in, just like a car or pickup. It doesn't sound fair to the owner who spent a lot of money upgrading their vehicle, but that the way it happens.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Just going through this myself. Ours was a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38PBDD with many upgrades. The dealers have a book that comes out 2 or 3 times a year. It lists the prices they will "Pay" for your motorhome. Maybe a bit more if you have upgrades that they can up the price some when they sell your unit. We found the best "Trade-in" deal in Albuquerque Aloha RV. Normally, I would have thought Arizona have the best deals around the Southwest, but they gave me $30K on the trade for a new Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2608WS. Got to order all the options we wanted and leave off the ones we didn't. The dealer will still make money on the "Markdown" discount price they pay the manufacturer on the new unit, so if they want to deal, they will always still make out fine. Once they look up this "re-sale book value of your unit" (Which goes down on used units every time the book comes out) you will be lucky to get anything above that unless they want to deal. Normally that means they can get the trailer model you want at a big discount through the manufacturer. That's when they will offer you more for your unit above this book value. Either way, they will certainly do OK. After checking 6 or 7 dealers, this dealer was the only one who seemed to even want to work a deal. It boils down to this "I don't mind giving you and arm, but not and arm AND a leg". You just have to find a dealer that has the trailer model you like first, and then see which dealer around the area will now want to deal. The chances of a "Good deal" are slim and none. As always, it is best to try to sell your unit outright first. But in this case, we were surprised to get as much as we could have sold it for to a private buyer. Just shows you the big discount the dealers can get on a new unit--they make out, but we feel we did about as well as we could. Good luck--it is a stressful time going through this.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Make sure the deal includes the truck hitch, Tax, Title, license, and anything else you can get while you can. Hope you are not missing both an arm an leg later. Just an arm.

Ha--good luck
Old 04-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
This "Re-sale book value" of our unit was around $23K, so that gives you an idea of what a dealer can do if they want to. Kelly blue Book, NADA, etc book values mean nothing. That is why if you can sell it first outright, the power of cash will always help. The trick is IF you can sell it--that can be tough.