Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carlisle tires on our tt have been running fine. We run to max recommended pressure and don't overload, no problems to speak of.

99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag88 View Post
Read nothing but bad things, but I've had nothing but good luck with mine. Lot's of great miles all over TX, NM, CO, WY, MT and onto Alaska. Mine are filled with Nitro and I've added plain old air as needed.

Winnebago Minnie 2451BHS towable 2014
Ford F-250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel 2015
Me too, I have 15k miles, but they are cracking now. Maxxis in que for next long trip. A lot of our camping is very local, so I'll try to get a few more months out of these OEM tires.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #17

They came on our new 2015 Grey Wolf, a year old now and have not kept track of the mileage on them, probable 1000-1500 miles on them, and checked them since this thread, still look new, always run them at the 50 max, which i thought was low for radials, When i change i will upgrade and go to 15" instead of the 14" it came with.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
They came on our new 2015 Grey Wolf, a year old now and have not kept track of the mileage on them, probable 1000-1500 miles on them, and checked them since this thread, still look new, always run them at the 50 max, which i thought was low for radials, When i change i will upgrade and go to 15" instead of the 14" it came with.
Sounds like a big expense buying 5 new wheels.
Bigbird65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #19

Will see how the pocket book is at that time. I know manufactures are always trying to save a buck, but, find it hard to believe they would knowingly put sub-grade tires on there new TT, i know they aren't going to put the best on, but !!! There is a year bumper to bumper warrentee!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Will see how the pocket book is at that time. I know manufactures are always trying to save a buck, but, find it hard to believe they would knowingly put sub-grade tires on there new TT, i know they aren't going to put the best on, but !!! There is a year bumper to bumper warrentee!
WOW! They would put on anything if it were a nickle cheaper. If you check your warranty it might be like mine with the RV manufacturer only covering the "white box". The bumper to bumper stuff was a joke, all systems are only covered by the respective suppliers.
Here is what I'm talking about:

EXCLUSIONS FROM THIS WARRANTY: Warrantor expressly disclaims any responsibility for damage to the unit where damage is due to condensation, normal w
ear
and tear or exposure to elements. Warrantor makes no warranty with regard to, but not limited to, the chassis, including, without limitation, any mech
anical parts or
systems of the chassis, axles, tires, tubes, batteries and gauges, routine maintenance, equipment and appliances, or audio and/or video equipment.
Their respec-
tive manufacturers and suppliers may warrant some of these items. Warranty information with respect to these items is available from your dealer.
The Warrantor further makes no warranty with regard to any product used for commercial purposes, as a permanent residence or as a rental unit, or any pro
duct
not registered and normally used in the United States or Canada.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Probably does not make sense.
Even with 15" wheels and tires, the max speed is still 65mph and load is limited by axles. The tire rotation will only be slower with a taller overall diameter, but not if you drop the aspect ratio to maintain the diameter. Taller may or may not fit and will make your whole rig higher.

All you will have is more expensive wheels, tires and more rotating unsprung weight.
That makes for a harsher ride and less effective trailer brakes.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #22

Anyone had any luch with Trailer King tires? They are E rated 10 ply and go for around $75ea. All the reviews I've ready are outstanding and they appear to be a solid replacement.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #23

maxxis bravo ue 168 lt tire. imo awsome tire and a 99 mph speed rating.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #24

Here is an excellent article that I found on another thread about ST trailer tires and why they should be used on travel trailers.
Bigbird65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes and the author of the article is Carlisle Tire. One of the companies that has a history of premature tire failure. Also they are saying replace the tires every 3 years, which is total BS. It is funny how 75 to 90% of trailer tire failure is with ST tires, and I would guess at least half of those are from tread separation, not low air pressure. Once switched to an LT tire with the proper load rating for the trailer, you hear very little about tire problems. Like I am going to spend over $1500 on tires every 3 years(I had LT235/80R16LRG Goodyear G614's), switched to Roadmaster RM160 LT215/75R17.5"LRH tires and wheels for little more than what replacement of the Goodyears would have cost. These tires are spec'ed for trailer service. They are run on low boys and equipment trailers. I think the speed rating is 72mph, but I am not positive. These tires should be good for the 7 to 10 years, but I will let you know after I get a couple more years on them, Only have 3 years on them right now. I do a 5 tire rotation yearly when I repack the wheel bearings.
Bottom line is don't believe all the hype about having to using only ST tires and pay more attention to air pressure and loading of the axles. Also proper care of the tires themselves.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #26

It also depends on the weight of your trailer. Mine on the scales is 7,000 lbs. .
Old 10-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #27

What size wheels and tires . If there 16 inch I can see it. Mine has 15's and I can not find a load rating on LT tires through discount tires. If I moved up to 16 in I would
Old 10-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Yes and the author of the article is Carlisle Tire. One of the companies that has a history of premature tire failure. Also they are saying replace the tires every 3 years, which is total BS. It is funny how 75 to 90% of trailer tire failure is with ST tires, and I would guess at least half of those are from tread separation, not low air pressure. Once switched to an LT tire with the proper load rating for the trailer, you hear very little about tire problems. Like I am going to spend over $1500 on tires every 3 years(I had LT235/80R16LRG Goodyear G614's), switched to Roadmaster RM160 LT215/75R17.5"LRH tires and wheels for little more than what replacement of the Goodyears would have cost. These tires are spec'ed for trailer service. They are run on low boys and equipment trailers. I think the speed rating is 72mph, but I am not positive. These tires should be good for the 7 to 10 years, but I will let you know after I get a couple more years on them, Only have 3 years on them right now. I do a 5 tire rotation yearly when I repack the wheel bearings.
Bottom line is don't believe all the hype about having to using only ST tires and pay more attention to air pressure and loading of the axles. Also proper care of the tires themselves.
Frank
???

Tags
tires