Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer batteries.

Good afternoon, I recently purchased a 2010 Lance 2281 light weight 24 foot trailer. The reason I bought it is because I know 3 things. I like to drink beer, BBQ, and light fires. Outside of that, I have no knowledge on trailers, and am slowly learning one thing at a time, hoping to get some info on batteries.

The old owner has only one battery, when there is room for two. Is there a benefit to only keep one battery.

He has a standard 12 volt battery, with some miles on it. Would it be beneficial to just start fresh and buy a new battery or two. And if so, any recommendations on what batteries to get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BigBMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

By *lighting fires*, I hope you are talking about having a campfire? As to battery/batteries.. Dual batteries give you more 12v storage capacity than one battery. So, 2 12v batteries or 2 6v batteries. Just make sure you connect them correctly. The batteries need to be of the deep cycle variety, not the automotive type battery. I am sure others will chime in to help you.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

Congratulations on your Lance! Have a 2017 2285 .
Have 2 6v batteries. More amp hours.
Also have 160 watts of solar on roof to charge batteries.
Hopefully this is enough io be able to boondock for at least a week.
Also, check out Lance Owners of America forum..
Lots of info on Lance Trailers
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

Mr Big-Your activities are listed in chronological order, I presume?? I'm in!

Get 2x 6v GC2 batteries, hook em up in series, now, open that beer. 2-4 solar panels will help keep em charged up (the batteries!). Check on your 12v converter-its part of your circuit breaker power panel. To keep your batteries healthy, you need to keep them charged. Your converter will do that nicely if its a 3 or 4 stage charger / converter. Lance will know, if you can't find your paperwork (I know its under these beer cans, somewhere). Keep your trailer plugged into shore power when you are not using it and your batteries will last longer. Check to see if you have a battery disconnect switch, if so, turn this switch off during storage, you always have phantom loads like your smoke detectors, CO2 detector, even your TV antenna amplifier (find it now and turn it off). Have fun!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

6v golf cart batteries seem to work well. Check out batteriesplus.com. 6v Duracell rv batteries for $100 a piece. Save 10% by ordering them online and pick them up.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

Both you guys mentioned solar panels... I am very fortunate have a full storage on the side of my house including electrical hook up for the RV.... should I still look at the solar panels?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

And secondly... if I have 2 6V batteries.. how long will those last? Could
I go a full day at the beach with full power running all the electric appliances? Thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBMP View Post
And secondly... if I have 2 6V batteries.. how long will those last? Could
I go a full day at the beach with full power running all the electric appliances? Thanks
That depends on what you mean by all the electric appliances. You would be able to run some lights, water pump and keep your fridge and water heater on gas. You could also run an exhaust fan or stereo for a while. You will not be able to run the 120 volt appliances like the microwave or AC. The furnace fan will also put a strain on your batteries.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BigBMP,
True Deep cycle golf cart batteries will give you the best service. Costco sells Interstate 6V GC2 batteries for around $84. I have had six of them for 3 years and very well
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBMP View Post
Both you guys mentioned solar panels... I am very fortunate have a full storage on the side of my house including electrical hook up for the RV.... should I still look at the solar panels?
The solar panels aren't so much for when you store your RV, it's for when you use it. It's called boondocking, it's when you camp without hookups, no sewer hookup, no power hookup, no water hookup. you just run off solar / batteries. A full system can generally charge your batteries during the day, and then you use the batteries as night, and continue said cylce. Though, I'm not sure if you can run your AC units off battery power alone, or panel power alone, though, that's the general concept for needing / having batteries / solar panels.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:16 AM   #11

I would spend the extra for Trojan brand golf cart 6 volt batteries. They are highly rated and should last a long time. Always replace all batteries at once. It is never good to add just one when going to two or to replace just one when you have a bank of 2-3-4.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, trailer