RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Trailer brake control unit, what kind?

Hi there, I have an 06' Toyota Tacoma with tow package but just found out that I need a brake control for my camper trailer, any suggestions on certain brand/model to go with? Been towing camper now for a year I guess with no trailer brakes working, the guy I bought it from said they work when trailer is plugged into truck but supposedly they don't. Really can't afford to pay RV place to install it for me. Thanks

Todd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #2

If the truck doesn't have an integrated brake control you do need one. Shame on whomever sold you the truck for lying to you about that. There are several brands and sure you will get a variety of recommendations here. Make sure you get an inertia controller. Over the years before I have had trucks with integrated factory controllers, I have used a couple I bought at Pep Boys and had good success and no issues. You will have to find power for it and run a wire back to the 7 pin plug. Easy process. Good luck with it. When you get a chance I'd look up whenever you bought that truck from and who lied to you about that jeopardizing your family's safety and give them some helpful pointers. Happy and safe camping!

3:73, Husky CenterLine
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

It is probably wired for a break controller. You just need to find the connections and connect.

Is there a break controller pigtail in your glove compartment? If so wire it to break controller from Walmart, mount it, and plug it in.

If not, call your local Toyota dealer. Ask if it came with built in TT break controller. If no, then ask if it came with plugin pigtail for a break controller or if a pigtail connector is available.
Assuming he says no to built in break controller and yes to it came with one or is available, get a pigtail from any number of automotive parts places or Amazon etc. Get one for your model and year. They are all different.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

Prodigy P3 is a good one.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

Go to e- trailer.com https://www.etrailer.com plug in you tacoma info and what you are looking for. They will give you lots of options both controllers and wiring options. Choose wiring option based on what wiring you already have in the Taco. The P3 is a great controller.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Ditto for the prodigy p3. Had cheaper ones over the years and they were
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

P3 is the best. Got one on amazon last week for my new coach. I had the same one in a pick up truck too so I knew it was good. Amazon has them a little cheaper than etrailer currently ($119 shipped). And amazon also had the plug & play pigtail for Freightliner.
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

What kind of camper is this, a TT or a pop-up? A lot of pop-ups have surge brakes (not breaks, come on people, learn to spell). Surge brakes don't require a brake controller.
I've never seen a hard sided TT that didn't have electric brakes. Another way to tell is by how many pins your electric connection on the trailer has. If it is 4 or 5 pins your trailer does not have electric brakes. If it is 6 or 7 pins then it likely does.
If you've really been towing a TT with no brakes around for a year without a brake control you will be impressed how much easier it is to stop. Your probably lucky you didn't get into any panic stop situations.
Get a proportional control, not a timer based control. They are more money and worth every penny.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #9

Had a buddy with a '09 that needed a brake controller. We found the factory pigtail up under the dashboard that the aftermarket controller plugged into. Believe it was up near the steering column and we had to remove a few panels to find it.

YouTube and Goole may prove useful.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think Persistent may be right, look for the wiring harness or you can get one. The P3 is pretty easy to install.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #11

The TT is an R-Vision Trail-lite "Bantom" 20'
Todd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #12

I got this one a while back. I really like it. Works great. Wireless.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...m_content=Curt

93 Jayco RK 325, 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base, 07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, trailer