Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Trailer Drained Truck Battery

My brother in law just bought a 2012 used Airstream trailer and has a new Chevrolet pickup to tow it with. He left the trailer hooked up to his pickup overnight and in the morning the truck had a dead battery. What's up with this situation and how do we prevent it from happening again?

Thanks, Sammie

2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
I have heard of that happening. It seems only certain makes cause this problem. I have a Dodge Ram and can't say if mine does or not as I always unplug it over night. I guess if that's the worst thing I have to worry about I will survive.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
I've heard of this as well. When stopped for the night, or if I hook up the night before we leave home, I always make sure the cord is not plugged into the truck just for that reason.
2015 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS
2011 Dodge 2500 HD MegaCab CTD 4x4
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume you have a brake controller. It's probably a function of how they wired the brake controller more than anything.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #5
I installed a 30 amp relay. This way I don't have to remember to unplug the trailer.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
My ford only has power to the plug when the key is turned on because it's on a relay. I would think installing a relay on the Chevy should solve the problem.
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
As mentioned, most new trucks wired from factory with 7-pin connector, and integrated trailer brake have an ignition switched isolator to prevent the trailer connected load to drain battery in the tow vehicle. Aftermarket wired TVs should have an isolator installed in the power connection (pin at 1 o'clock position, looking into tow vehicle socket) Link here.

Test the TV pin connection with a test light or Digital Volt-Ohm meter with the ignition switch on and off. That should confirm.

IF it is isolated, then something was left on in the truck, draining the battery.

Hope this helps,

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote