Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #1

Trailer floor repair

Recently purchased a 2004 Keystone Zeppelin Z241 24 foot camper trailer from Camping world. This is my first camper so I thought if I bought it at a dealer, I would get something of quality, and a unit that had been checked out by the experts. Well, that is what I thought. I have found that the bathroom floor is very soft and the trailer is infested with ants. Since it was sold "as is", I have no recourse. Now I'm faced with fixing the floor and fumigation. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to proceed? I think I will have to take the shower, toilet and cabinet with the sink out to fix the floor. Thin I thought a couple of house bug bombs would kill the ants. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The ants love wet wood are they all over or just in the place where the floor is damaged? I can show you what is involved in a repair for that is what I do. Nightrider RV Inc Restoration and Repair look through the pictures of the units and see if this is something you want to get into.

This is only to let you see I'm not posting a commercial link

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We fumigate our stick n brix as well as my wood shop using Black Flag Fumigator. It comes in a carton with three canisters. You open the canister, pull out the cartridge, add a little water to the canister, set it on the floor, and drop the cartridge into the water. It produces a gas that does an excellent job of killing bugs. Close up the rig for about 3 hours and go enjoy yourself. When you get beck open the door and windows, air out the place and enjoy a bug free rig.

I never use the pressurized cans any more. Very little clean up, no oily film on everything, just dead bugs.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #4

I recently repaired soft flooring in my 34' travel trailer caused by water leaks from various sources. I travel and live out of my trailer most of the last 6 years.

The repairs are easy if you have basic tools, a place to work on it off and on for about 2-3 weeks.

My floor is an aluminum tube frame attached on top of plywood that is mounted to the f
Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #5

The ants are there because your floor is wet, been there. Find and fix the leak(s) first, then fix the floor. Once everything is tight and dry, go after the remaining ants with whatever works best for you, I like the TORO drops myself. If I can't reach them with a Shop-Vac.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnLouie
I recently repaired soft flooring in my 34' travel trailer caused by water leaks from various sources. I travel and live out of my trailer most of the last 6 years.

The repairs are easy if you have basic tools, a place to work on it off and on for about 2-3 weeks.

My floor is an aluminum tube frame attached on top of plywood that is mounted to the f
Sorry....I fat fingered my IPhone...

....trailer frame. The open spaces in the aluminum frame is filled with styrofoam for insulation. On top of that is 2 sheets of 2.5 mm thick Luan plywood that are attached to the frame and glued together. Usually, vinyl flooring is glued on top of the Luan to finish the floor.

The problem is when water leaks in between the vinyl flooring and you are unable to dry it out, it rots the Luan plywood.

After removing everything I could from inside my trailer (excluding cabinets) I was able to see the water damage.

Next, I carefully removed the damaged wood flooring and cleaned the areas with a mix of bleach and water. Wear rubber gloves and use a scrub brush. Apply a thin coat of 2 part marine epoxy to seal where you removed the Luan and around the area. 2 part Marine epoxy is about $150 a gallon and found at most boat shops.

Go to Home Depot where they sell Luan plywood which is 5.0 mm thick.

Carefully cut and fill in the areas you cut out in your floor. You will either glue and/or screw the replacement wood in place. Cover the wood and surrounding areas with a thin coat of marine epoxy.

Now you can sand smooth ready for new vinyl flooring.

What I did was add another layer of Luan plywood on top of my entire trailer floor and sealed all the joints, cracks and corners with high quality silicone sealer. Next came carpet padding and indoor/outdoor carpet using staples (same method the manufacturer uses to lay carpet in trailers.

We are very happy with the results, the cost was significantly lower than having an RV shop do it and the trailer was not tied for months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3226050924.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	24566  
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

Thank you all for your replies. I think I can handle it as I have the skills and tools to do it. Just don't know if the body will still allow it. I found Raid fumigator which seems to be the same as the Black Flagg. It comes with three containers and uses water.
I will fix the floor and will probably change out the toilet at the same time to one that has a ceramic bowl and then see if I can find the shower doors instead of the curtain. I'll get pictures as I go and post.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Cool - you will do just fine!