Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Trailer hubs..

I am new to using my Travel trailer. We have a new Starcraft. I was wondering about greasing and servicing the bearings. How often should this be done?

Tennessee Mike

TennesseMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Virtually all axle mfgrs. say to clean, inspect, and re-pack standard wheel bearings every 12,000 miles or annually.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Retired Fire Service RVer's
x 2 what Ray said.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
DO NOT pump grease into the spindles. This is lazy, will grease the brakes probably, and does not replace correct, regular maintenance.

Every couple years, depending on how much you pull it is fine. Besides, you probably need to perform bearing maintenance on your regular daily driver anyway.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
I am lazy and pump grease in my spindles. Ok, there, I've said it...
Texastbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
I would think every two years you should pull all the wheels and inspect for wear and tear on the brakes and bearings, etc. seems like just good practice even if you don't find any issues.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I am lazy and pump grease in my spindles. Ok, there, I've said it...
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
I will check my bearings and brakes when it is time, but my spindles are designed to allow new grease to push out the old stuff in between service intervals. It works fine, and if a seal does happen to blow out, then the axle needs service, anyway.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like to, at the least, jack up each tire and check for any bearing slop by holding the tire and trying to twist it in and out. Every other year I pull the hubs apart replace the seals and repack the bearings with Kendall Blue bearing grease.
99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
I'm thinking the same as you Texastbird, I use the grease fitting that was Installed by the mfgrs. if it don't work why would they keep putting them on?
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
They work fine on mine, but they don't preclude the need to repack and check at the proper interval. Just gives a little peace of mind to know they have fresh grease at the beginning of a trip. One less thing to worry about.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Only a few people have had problems with EZ-Lube and others like it. If one follows the directions EZ-Lube works great! That being said, proper maintenance is still required. There is a lot more to repacking bearings than repacking bearings. All the other components are inspected as well. Over the years I have found myself or the mechanic who repacked the bearings have found many other problems such as broken springs, sticking brakes, dragging brakes, brakes not working, broken shackle bolts, broken hangers, leaking seals... If you don't look, you won't find out that there is a problem until it is too late.

2011 5.7l Toyota Tundra w/ Roadmaster Suspension.
2014 Jayco Eagle 338 RLTS w/ 7hp gen & 1000w invert.
PowerTwin II-30" Electric RV Leveling Stabilizer.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote