Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #1

Trailer length

I have a curiosity question. When making reservations with a travel trailer, what length am I supposed to use? The box length or the total length from tip to tail?

Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

My experience is 'more is better' within reason. If you give them the smallest number (box) the might put you in a tight location. If you give them the largest number (overall) you are not likely to be squeezed in somewhere too small.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’

thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #3

I would use good judgement. I list my MH at 32' because that allows me to get into almost all state parks. It is actually 33', but that places me in a catagory that most parks don't take. If your trailer is 22' long don't reserve a site for 18' or less. Last weekend we had a site for 32' and the pad length was 35' we were able to fit because our tail hung back 4'.

I hope that helps
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

We always give them tip to tail and even then have had some tight fits.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I give the total trailer length. However, don't forget to tell them if you have a slide-out and/or awning to help ensure I don't get assigned a site that's too narrow or has a lot of trees or other obstacles close by that can interfere with their operation . I've had some close tolerances on more than one occasion. Even water and electric hookups can cause grief if they are in an inconvenient location relative to a slide-out your unit.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

I assumed I would use the total length so I didn't get stuck in a space that was too small. We had a Puma 18DB that was 23 ft before so it was never a problem. Now with one that is almost 33 ft and a longer TV it is a little different. We will probably have our first problem with the size next weekend going to a campground to watch drag boat races. Unfortunately, we had to make the reservations for this trip on Jan 1. They start taking reservations and sell out by 9am on that day. At that time we had the Puma. We'll just have to make it work. I bet we still have fun.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #7

Size does matter.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
In all the years of pulling my TT, the only times I ever had to request another site was not because of length, width or height, but because I couldn't extend the tongue jack far enough to to level it! My TT has a double-stacked frame (due to the slideout) so it sits higher than a normal TT. This reduces the lift range of the tongue jack.

I think that all RVers have excellent skills in making a substandard site "work". They have to, as almost every site you encounter has some flaw that you'll have to make an accommodation for. Rarely have I ever camped on the "perfect site". However, many have come close.

33 feet? You have a lot longer overhang (least 8-10 foot) after the tandems. If there is open area at the rear of the site's parking area, you should be able back that portion of the trailer beyond the end of the site parking area. See, you're down to about the 23' of the old trailer already!

And... yes, you will still have fun. Years from now, you'll remember and talk about the time you parked the 33ft trailer in the site you reserved for a 23 footer.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #9

I was in a Jellystone Park in Burleson over Memorial Day weekend. I saw a TT that had the entire tongue jack off the ground and the entire weight of the front supported on the scissor jacks. I think I would have requested a different site in that case. I also saw a MH in New Mexico one time that had the front wheel lifted off the ground by the leveling jacks. I think I will keep all the points of contact on solid foundation I can.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #10

My TT is 30 ft from Bumper to tounge jack. I park it at home on a sloped pad. To level the TT front to back, I have to place lynks levelers and a cone device under the tounge jack. Remember, the tounge jack supports the hitch wt. of the trailer not the total wt. I've had no problems with the front to back leveling in all the sites I've been in. as far as short sites, if the TT fits, it fits.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I usually ask for a pad long enough for both the TT (24' bumper to tounge) and Truck (20') + a few feet which usually ends up at a minimum of 45' and I often end up with 50' or more. I also know that in a pinch I can usually let the rear end of the TT hang over the pad. I then put some planks under the rear stabs to keep them from making a dent in the grass.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #12

I use bumper to hitch length. I want as big of a site as I can get.