Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer leveling

High. We are considering giving up our motor home and going to a travel trailer. One question I have is in regard to leveling a trailer. I am told to level front to back, one uses the large front jack. I note many trailers have "stabilizing" jacks at the 4 corners. Are these use for side to side adjustment?
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Level side to side with blocks under the lows side tires first. Then front to back with the tongue jack.
The jacks at the corners are for stabilizing only.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post
Level side to side with blocks under the lows side tires first. Then front to back with the tongue jack.
The jacks at the corners are for stabilizing only.
+1

Check out Andersen Levelers, they make easy work of it.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Leveling

Agree with previous statement. You tube have excellent vids on leveling travel trailers. Will show procedures. Very good sources.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
High. We are considering giving up our motor home and going to a travel trailer. One question I have is in regard to leveling a trailer. I am told to level front to back, one uses the large front jack. I note many trailers have "stabilizing" jacks at the 4 corners. Are these use for side to side adjustment?
The key word is "stabilizing". If they are stabilizers (and to the best of my knowledge that's what you see on most TTs) then they are not used for leveling.

You'll find many discussion threads on this subject here at IRV2. For most travel trailers, the correct leveling procedure is as follows:
  • Start by leveling side-to-side by putting something under the tires (the tires are expected to continue to bear most of the weight). Andersen leveling system is incredible; I use a similar but less expensive product. I also carry 2x8 wood blocks for that purpose.
  • Next, level it front-to-back using the tongue jack.
  • Finally, use the stabilizers to add stability. They are not designed to bear the full weight of the trailer.
I carry a set of Camco jack stands that I have used in place of my stabilizers - they do give a firmer stability to the trailer, but they're a bit more work. I carry an 18v cordless drill and use a Camco 57363 Scissor Jack Adapter - takes about 10 seconds per stabilizer, and it's a lot easier on my aging body than the hand crank that comes with the trailer.

Roger

P.S. Nice level sites are very helpful and much easier to set up in!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

Agree with procedures mentioned.

We use Lynx blocks. 3 sets works for us.

Also attached a self adhesive levels on front/back of trailer & drivers side at eye level. This allows the kids/wife to see level situation and the determine how many blocks on which side and what wheel to place.

So simple they can get it level usually on the first try.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
RPr

I tried several difference things an finally settled on a pair of four foot 2x10s.

I pull in, see which side is low, put one or two of the 2x10s under the low side as needed. Next I level front to back with the tongue jack. Then I snug up the stabilizers. They are not Intended to support the frame load.

I have long since given up on perfectly level, as the frame, floor, sink, slide and table all show different degrees of level. I prefer a level stove and sink.

I will admit that given the choice, first we will look for a level spot, it makes things easier.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #8

using the orange tri-lynx block set to roll your onside of the trailer wheels make it very simple to level from left to right. It make it very easy and can be done in just a few short minutes.

Tags
leveling