Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer leveling

Some where, some place, I've seen threads on how to install the levels on the coach. I don't know where I saw it, but I've been searching for it, and can't seem to find it anyplace. Mainly I'm wanting to know about putting a big level on the pin box that you can see with the rear view mirror. What is the advantage of having one there? I was thinking that one on the corner in the front to check level right to left, and then another on the side for level front to back. I think I've got it on leveling the trailer, using a carpenters level on the floor and using that level to get the 5r level the first time then installing the outside levels.

Also, any tips for hitching up, and unhitching would be helpful!

Thanks!
tickranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #2

It is OK for side to side. It does tell me if I need to add blocks under one side tires or not.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

I can't speak to your 5ver for placement, but, I put mine on the street side of the trailer so that I could watch it and where I'm going at the same time without a lot of head motion.

You won't need to place another one on the side if you get this model of level...it has another level built into it to indicate front to back leveling. The one I have is this one:

Jumbo Level with Mounting Bracket - Item - Camping World

You can see the additional level protruding from the front. As you said, using carpenter's level(s), get your rig level in both front to back and side to side. With the Jumbo Level, mount it so that it reads level side to side and then adjust the front to back level with the set screw so that it indicates level and you're good to go.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I had the 3400rl I placed that Jumbo Level on the front slant of the pin box. I could then see it through the back window. If I were to get another 5er I'd put the same unit on. You will quickly learn which side needs a board or two by the bubble markers. It makes leveling side to side much easier, in my opinion. Just remember that you need to be level when you install it as you will be drilling some 3/16 inch holes (maybe 1/4) into the pin box to mount the level holder. It really is not a difficult job and they instructions are complete.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies! Good information! I think I pretty well had it figured out, but wanted some input from the experts!!!
tickranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
just remember that those levels work the opposite of a bubble level. With these levels if the ball is to the trailer door side of the center line, you need to raise the door side of the trailer.

After side to side leveling I use an 24" contractors bubble level and place it on the lower trim of the bedroom slide. I use that for front to back leveling. After doing this the first time, I threw a 4' level on the floor of the 5er to make sure it was level and piece of mind that my bedroom slide opening is level to enable me to continue this practice.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Tickranch, You can place the level on the pin box, but before doing that check your pin box for level(post #180) using a square. Mounting the level on the rig is the best as this member did.(post #154) Myself I used a torpedo level and in a pinch I will use a 16 ounce water bottle. You will be surprised how close and level you can get your rig by just getting the water level in the neck of the bottle.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote