Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
My 6 year old trailer's rear lights are very dim. You can hardly tell that the blinkers are on during the day. What the best way to tackle this? I assume I need to make sure the currect voltage is coming out of the tow vehicle plug. Yes? Then what? Thanks in advance.

BWT, the side lights seem to be fine. Has anyone replaced their rear lights with LED-based lights?

camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
My 6 year old trailer's rear lights are very dim. You can hardly tell that the blinkers are on during the day. What the best way to tackle this? I assume I need to make sure the currect voltage is coming out of the tow vehicle plug. Yes? Then what? Thanks in advance.

BWT, the side lights seem to be fine. Has anyone replaced their rear lights with LED-based lights?

Old 07-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Rich,

It's likely a corroded common ground connection considering more than one light is dim. It might behoove you to take all the ground connections apart and clean them up then re-attach securely.

Good luck with it, ya gotta have good lights.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #4

Likely corroded ground connections. Turn lights off, remove the tail light lens and without touching the bulb, loosen the screw that holds the ground wire to the RV body. Then move the ground wire, retighten the screw, and turn the lights on. That should ensure ground is good. If there's no body screw for the ground, perhaps the wire connection (crimped StaKon) has corroded inside...
Obviously you should see the same voltage at the trailer plug as you'd see at the tail lights. -Should be around 12.5 vdc, but could be as high as 14.2 vdc depending if the TV alternator was charging.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #5

That is probably the root of the problem..but I have found that the tail light lens and the reflectory surface inside the tail lite get very dirty and dusty..this in itself will cut down on brightness..I cleaned mine out and then using silver enamel touched up the surface behind the light bulb, it made a big difference..make sure you dont paint any connections over or it will ground out and short everything out..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the great suggestions. They have never been terribly bright (the lights, not me ) and I don't know if they have gotten worse or I'm just noticing it more.

Has anyone ever replaced their bulbs with LED fixtures? I sure like the way they look on the back of trucks.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 AM   #7

Another vote for poor ground. The trailer plug is the most common culprit. Clean all connections with a fine abrasive like baking soda, a pencil eraser if the contact is large enough, or spray can electrical contact cleaner if its in a tight place. Some trailers ground each light to the metal skin and depend on metal-to-metal somewhere to make contact. Better manufacturer's use a separate ground wire alongside the hot wire to each light. The truck plug wiring is another source of poor ground. When installing the plug, some aftermarket installers run the ground wire from the plug to the nearest metal. The best option is a separate ground wire from the plug to tow vehicle battery.
On a different note, the lights are a source of water entry into your RV. The light base is usually sealed onto the RV, but the wire entry hole is wide open. If the lens fills with water it can flow through the wire openings directly into the walls. One solution is drill a small drain hole (1/16") in the bottom of each lens.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
camper1b the led lites are very good but a bit pricey. Some truck stops carry them and I believe camper world might. You will still need a good ground but the advantages are quicker illumination with less current and increased longevity.

Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote