Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer Thermostat

We have a 35ft Keystone Sprinter Travel Trailer and the thermostat in it is worthless. The AC when set for a certain temp, just keeps on running or shuts off before the set temperature. Does anyone have any suggestions on an aftermarket thermostat that is more reliable and fairly easy to install? Thanks for the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

Does your current t'stat, have the thermometer in it ?
Or are you dealing with a remote thermometer?
Very often t'stat operation is subject to the location of the t'stat in relation to A/C vents. Could be nice and cool at the t'stat and not comfortable where the thermometer is or, where you're sitting.
Sorry just re-read your post , you said " keeps running " missed that.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

our factory t-stat was horrible... swaying like 4 degrees either way... I followed this link but with a different model hunter t-stat. works like a champ and only sways 1 degree!

Hunter 4299B Digital Thermostat RV Installation

2006 Palomino Puma 25bh
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

I followed the same link above, but I was very limited on wall space, so I used a Honeywell T-stat I found at Home Depot. (it was tall and narrow)
Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezspdr View Post
We have a 35ft Keystone Sprinter Travel Trailer and the thermostat in it is worthless. The AC when set for a certain temp, just keeps on running or shuts off before the set temperature. Does anyone have any suggestions on an aftermarket thermostat that is more reliable and fairly easy to install? Thanks for the help.
I replaced my original analog thermostat with a digital one. Now it is always within 1 degree plus or minus the setting.

Details and pictures in second page of this thread: Finally upgraded thermostat
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thing that really bothers the thermostats is the location. DO not mount them on an outside wall or the wall backed up to a refrigerator. Also, make sure the air does not blow on the t'stat.

If it is mounted on an outside wall, make sure it is sealed and use some plastic or rubber washers as stand-offs to get it off the wall.

Ken
Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

I just installed a Hunter unit that has a temp span adjustment feature as well. ... works fantastic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130902_170202.png
Views:	59
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	45254  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnh View Post
I just installed a Hunter unit that has a temp span adjustment feature as well. ... works fantastic
I am glad you posted a picture, I have the same one and didn't know that it had a span adjustment! now if only I could make the thing respond quicker to temp adjustments (when turning it down sometimes it kicks on immediately sometimes it takes 5 minutes. doesn't matter if its 2* or 10*)

2006 Palomino Puma 25bh
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #9

The poor tired and lazy employee who assembled my camper put the t'stat deep in a corner next to a cabinet so close that I could only open the cabinet a few inches. What a moron. I took it off and slid it over as far as the wires (and the enormous hole they cut for said wires) would permit. Now I can almost open the cabinet all the way. After a dab of colored caulk you can't tell it was moved.

Tags
thermostat