Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Absolutely not. I don't have the data right in front of me but if I recall correctly you can expect load shifting due to curves, wind and slope of roadway to be in the range of +/- 15%
Exactly why I air mine to max sidewall psi. Even with max air, there is a possibility that the tires will technically be overloaded during travel due to normal load shifting.

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #30
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

It seems to me your particular issue is due to not understanding this particular problem, interply shear, and the resulting trailer manufacturing industry standard of inflating ST type tires to their max rating even in the rare circumstances when it may not be necessary. The trailer manufacturers may be making an unnecessary pressure recommendation with single axle trailers, but not with multiple axle trailers, when they slap a sticker on there that tells the operator to inflate ST type tires to their max sidewall molded or branded inflation pressure.
We have been hauling our 38í fiver around the country for more than 12 years - 5 full time. Itís been parked in all sorts of sites, back-in and pull thru.

Stories about our RV parking places

Iíve been researching tires used on RV trailers for at least 10 years. All of the regulations, tire industry standards and documents written by experienced tire experts such as tireman9. Iíve also read most of the normal sized documents on the WWW by Dr. John Daws, a noted tire expert.

When it comes to a thread like this all the people want to know is how to properly air their tires. In the past and present it has always been the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer to provide tire/rim assemblies that are appropriate fitments for the vehicles they build. They must also establish and set a recommended - correct - tire inflation pressure for those tires and certify its correctness on the vehicleís certification label. From there on the vehicle owner is responsible for the safety of the vehicle.

Passenger, Light Truck, Special Trailer, low platform medium duty truck tires and any other DOT tire with a highway certification can be used on RV trailer axles once selected and fitted by the vehicle manufacturer. Does Interply Shear conditions also apply to those tires used on multi-axle RV trailers? You bet it does. To what degree? Iíd like to know that answer but its immaterial when considering recommended inflation pressures.

Bottom line, Interply Shear is not a recognized factor used in tire selection and the resulting recommended inflation pressures.

USN - RET - PDRL - Aviation Structural Mechanic (H)
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #31
"Interply Shear" and other Techno Babble............OK
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #32
Commercial Member
In my professional opinion it is up to the RV owner to decide if they think that doing the absolute minimum possible maintenance and to use the absolute minimum "safety" margin when selecting tires, is preferable to using technology that is 30 years more advanced than some Federal Regulation or 50 years ahead of some industry standard.

Industry standards dictated by RV company lobbyists is what the current standards represent. IMO the lobbyists are more interested in lower costs to the RV company than better and more reliable products being delivered to the end user. If you feel the performance of ST type tires is satisfactory then by all means stay with those old standards. After all I ma sure that there are some folks who can get 6 years life from their tires, so for them the "minimums" worked.

If however you want fewer problems and fewer or no failures on the road and more than a couple years tire life, then you might consider using the latest and best information and technological advances available to you along with informed decision making tailored for your specific RV and usage.

In general Engineers work to make stuff better. It's because of the use of engineering principles of striving for continuous improvement we are driving cars rather than using horse and buggy. After all horse and buggy were just fine for many centuries. Even the reliable low cost Model T has been replaced because of continuous improvement being the goal for engineers in the automotive field.

Even aircraft have evolved. The venerable DC-3

met the regulations of the 1930's but I doubt that anyone would consider them anywhere as reliable or safe as a 707 or any of today's line-up of commercial airliners if traveling across the US.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #33
Damon Owners Club
Originally Posted by Vallance View Post
Checked tire pressure and all 4 were at 35lbs from last year. They look ok but max cold pressure on tires is 50 lbs. That seems too hard--any comments ? Also had a new hot water tank [Atwood] installed and I'm waiting for a manual, meanwhile , the pilot shuts off from time to time and can't figure why.
I switched from a motorhome to a travel trailer this year. Bought a used tt and found a lot of problems to repair. Finally got it up and running and took off on a short camping trip. 1mi. from the camp ground I blew a tire. (I then remembered I hadn't checked the tire pressure before I left.) The tire on that side that was still up only had 25psi and who knows what the one that blew had. Luckly I had bought a new spare. The tires all looked great. (so much for looks). I also carry a cordless impact with me.

Larry 1991 Damon Challenger, 1972 Cortez
Star Prairie, WI
wichallenger is offline   Reply With Quote

tire pressure