Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Trailer Tire Pressure while towing..

I have heard 2 sides to tire inflation. I want to pull safely but also try to control the amount of bouncing etc. How have some of you handled your trailer tire inflation while pulling on long trips???
Stan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

Check your tire pressures before you start the day's traveling. If needed, air them to the pressures found on the tire placard/certification label/vehicle owner's manual.

IMO fooling around with RV trailer tire air pressures is a sure way to early tire failures.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

At the beginning of a tow, I inflate to the max pressure on the tire sidewall, 65 psi in the case of load range D tires. The pressure will obviously increase as you tow, but the tires are designed to take that into account. IMO, you're always better off having too much rather than too little pressure.

You mention '2 sides' to tire inflation. What were you referring to?
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #4

The other side was balancing the tire pressure so the trailer rides softer but I cannot see a lot of benefit to that.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

If you give Gross vehicle weight rating ( GVWR) of trailer and fo tires the maximum load and needed pressure for that and speedcode or if they are ST tires ( Special trailer) ( can all be found on sidewall) , then I will calculate a save pressure with my made spreadsheet. It uses even a saver formula then the European tire makers use and takes a reserve first for things like , pressure loss in time, unequall loading R/L and misreadings of pressure-scale. And still no bumping. For ST tires bumping border is different because this is related to the deflection of the tire, and ST are calculated in their maximum load for more deflection allowed.

Best is always to weigh per wheel( pair) but as long as you did not do that we will have to do with what we got.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

Air your tires to max sidewall to carry weight and run cooler. Low pressure builds heat and heat kills tires.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Air your tires to max sidewall to carry weight and run cooler. Low pressure builds heat and heat kills tires.
Makes good sense, heat is definitely a destroyer of tires.
thanks for the info...
Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 AM   #8

Max side wall pressure is 55 for my tires. I have tire pyrometer and measured after several trips and found my pressures overall on any given trip with the loaded trailer to be best at 52. Check your tread pattern also. Good indicator. Some folks run them under inflated, not too good.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Appreciate all the advice. irv2 is certainly a great knowledge base.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

That's some of the best tire inflation advice I've seen in a long time, low pressure low life expectancy. (love this forum)....
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=drewtk;2108475]At the beginning of a tow, I inflate to the max pressure on the tire sidewall, 65 psi in the case of load range D tires. The pressure will obviously increase as you tow, but the tires are designed to take that into account. IMO, you're always better off having too much rather than too little pressure.

This is what I do. Set them at Max cold. They will run cooler and are less liable to have issues.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtk View Post
At the beginning of a tow, I inflate to the max pressure on the tire sidewall, 65 psi in the case of load range D tires. The pressure will obviously increase as you tow, but the tires are designed to take that into account. IMO, you're always better off having too much rather than too little pressure.

You mention '2 sides' to tire inflation. What were you referring to?
X2!!!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some TT/5th wheel manufacturers and some tire manufacturers say to inflate the trailer tires to the maximum on the sidewall due to the extreme twisting forces applied when turning and backing into a space.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #14

if you want to control bounce, buy a shock kit for the trailer.

I've never had a set of trailer tires live to anywhere close to getting bald from use - they always die a sidewall or tread separation death after two or three years - and that's using max sidewall pressure. Never had a low pressure blowout though!
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure, tow, towing