Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Why would you not want to use a LT tire on a TT instead of all these trailer tires that seem to have problems ????
Trailer service is the most severe service a tire can be put through. Trailer tires are drug sideways around sharp turns, so they have to be made stronger than ordinary LT tires. Most LT tires are not rated for trailer service, so you shouldn't use them on a trailer. There are a very few LT tires that are rated for "all position" service, which includes trailer service. For example, Michelin XPS is one of those LT tires rated for all position service. But the popular Michelin LTX is not rated for all position or trailer service. So if I needed a 16" tire that is available in the XPS tires, I would put those on my trailer. But not the LTX.

For years, Cooper made the ST Custom Trailer Plus tires, and they were outstanding. But Cooper stopped production of their ST tires a few years ago, so I had to look for replacements. I've been very happy with Maxxis trailer tires so far, but they have limited sizes. I need ST205/75R14E or ST215/75R14D for my TT, and Maxxis doesn't make that size. Here are the sizes Maxxis makes in their ST tires:
Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis USA

The reason a lot of folks have trailer tire problems is the tires aren't rated for enough weight capacity for the wet and loaded trailer. If you can get 25% excess weight capacity over and above the GAWR of the trailer, and provided you keep the tires properly inflated for the load on the tires and don't overload the trailer, then you probably won't have trailer tire problems. Two of my trailers have Maxxis 225/75R15E tires that replaced 205/75R15C, and I haven't had even a flat on those Maxxis tires for several years, or on the Cooper ST tires before Cooper stopped selling ST tires. I just finished a 4,500-mile round trip with my cargo trailer that has several-year-old Maxxis ST225/75R15E tires without any tire problems.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #30
Ah ok,,, side loading... Didn't think about that. Thanks Smokey .

Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #31
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Those are LT tires, not rated for trailer service.

But that same page says Kumho Radial 857 is also available in size 185R14. Look it up on the Kumho website and you'll see that the Kumho is a commercial truck tire rated for all position service, which includes trailer service. And they are also available in sizes 195R14 and 205R14.
Thatís not a recommendation, itís a suggestion (option). The Yokohama tireís design comes from the same European design as the Kumho of the same size. Both carry the ďCĒ for commercial design.

p.s. I posted the Kuhmo reference in post #8.
USN - RET - PDRL - Aviation Structural Mechanic (H)
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #32

The question was asked of me about using LT tires vs trailer tires.

My problem and I believe that for those of us who have 14 inch wheels is very limited choices in that size. Once one moves up to 15 or 16 inch wheels then there are many more possibilities.

I would seriously consider LT tires if a larger rim would fit in my wheel well, but I am at the limit with the taller Kumho 857s. It seems that rugged, quality LT tires in the 14 inch size are not an improvment over the Kumho trailer tire.

Lets face it....a small (17ft, 3,500lb) trailer like ours was designed for trips to the lake on weekends: maybe one or two long tours during it's service life. We tow about 15,000 miles a year....so the durability of all components, including the tires, is rather limited. We have 32,000 miles on this little Kodiak. Probably wear it out in 3 or 4 more years....if we are lucky.

bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote