Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #43

Just my .02 --

In watching towed trailers going down the highway while towing my 4300# tandem axle TT I've noticed a large % of owners with BIG 5ths and TTs running along at 70 to 80 mph (yes 80 in 70 and 75 mph zones). I've seen single axle TTs in campgrounds with everything unloaded and they carry everything but the kitchen sink (well, they do have a kitchen sink). I live at Lake Powell and I see boat trailers come here LOADED to the top with firewood, toys, 4 wheelers, camping gear, all manner of what have you (how about 40 and 50 cases of beer in a boat on a trailer?) and at twice or more what the trailer should carry and at well above the tire speed.
I've seen them on the roadside with blown out tires,
GEE I wonder why so many "China Bombs" blow up?

I'm trying Carlisle STs (205/75/15) LRDs 4 brand new. Actually 5 with the spare. Mine are made in New Zealand. I'll be using 50 psi as I am WAY under the load capability of Ds at 65 psi. I did 1500 mi last Sept. on one trip and all went well. I'll be doing 6000 this summer and we'll see what happens. I do stay at 60 mph and I know my weight limits. Besides I'm not in a hurry.
All tires have a speed rating. STs say 65 mph. I come from an airline background. ALL aircraft tires have a speed rating that we adhere to.
I follow the ST speed ratings, loading and inflation and I'll see what transpires. I don't think there is going to be a problem. Just my .02

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Kumho 857 Radials are one of the few 14" tires you will find in a "D" or "E". Although they are not ST tires, they are commonly used as a trailer tire and are speed rated for 75mph. Keep in mind that a 195/75/14 is the equivelent of a 205/75/14 ST tire. I have had great luck with them and would reccommend them if you can't find a Maxxis to fit your needs. Remember, the higher load ratings require a higher psi so make sure your rim can handle the 65psi required to get the full load capacity out of them.
75mph? Tirerack says they are either Q or R speed rated, which is 99 or 106 mph.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #45

thanks gents,

I just ordered a set of Kumho 857 205/14R They are slightly bigger than my 205/14R Maxxis which shed the tread and damaged my trailer. But I have space in the wheel well for them. They have a much heavier load ability and higher speed rating than the Maxxis which were destroyed.

My local Goodyear dealer will have the Kumho in about 2 weeks and is searching for a rim that will handle the 65 psi. My factory rims which came with the camper are only good for 50 psi.

Any recommendations on a source for the rims? I live in rural Missouri have done business with the local, family owned, Goodyear dealer for 37 years. They are great people. We have spent 10s of thousands of dollars with them over the decades. Real old fashioned personal service.

Thanks for all your help.

bob
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #46

Cliffy,

Big difference. The speed rating on trailer tires is well below achievable highway speeds.

Speed ratings on FAA part 125 aircraft tires are well in excess of what one would ever experience in the type equipment upon which they are installed. Except...perhaps in poorly flown, zero flap, max gross emergency landing.

Been there done that at over 400,000 lbs and didn't get close to the max tire speed.

Of course this has little to do with TT tires.

Blue skies and smooth highways.

bob
Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #47

If I remember right we had 200 and 225 mph tires on the 737-200 out of KDEN in the summer with Improved T/O numbers and flaps at 1. Rotation could sometimes be 170+ kts. Lift off at 180+ on a hot day. Actual ground speed would push the 200 mph tires near the limit. Trying to remember back 20+ years.
Now a zero flap landing would be over the fence at @ 205 with touch down at 190-195. To the best of my memory.
The 757 seemed a little bit better.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
the 737-200 out of KDEN in the summer with Improved T/O numbers and flaps at 1. Rotation could sometimes be 170+ kts. Lift off at 180+ on a hot day. Actual ground speed would push the 200 mph tires near the limit.
I have no idea what this means, but it scares the bejesus out of me!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkQ

I have no idea what this means, but it scares the bejesus out of me!
X2 - gives flying down the highway a whole new dimension.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #50

Well I probably should have posted that in another forum or such. Didn't mean to scare anyone. I was just showing that all tires have a rated speed including airplane tires and it's not wise to go beyond that. Trailer tires (STs) for the most part are rated at 65 mph and going beyond that speed doesn't mean the tire will explode automatically. It just means that it will be in danger of failure if you do it, more so than if you stay below that speed. Airplane tires have the same limitation factors only at a much higher speed. This is just stuff airline pilots have to learn and take into account for every flight. Sorry if anyone got scared over it. Its not as bad as it seems on airplanes.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #51

Well That's it then!

Airplane tires all around for me!

Sudsy
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcola View Post
75mph? Tirerack says they are either Q or R speed rated, which is 99 or 106 mph.
I guess I should have said "over 75 mph". Don't think too many tow at 99 or 106 but I guess you could with Kumhos.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #53

I just picked up a couple tires but had a heck of a time finding them my Coleman Caravan calls for a 185/80d13 load range D it was like a needle in a haystack to find and when I did find them they wanted my first born as payment finally found a pair at $67 each at a Michael tires plus chain they are Hi Run never heard of them before anyone experienced with the Hi Run?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajean View Post
thanks gents,

My local Goodyear dealer will have the Kumho in about 2 weeks and is searching for a rim that will handle the 65 psi. My factory rims which came with the camper are only good for 50 psi.

Any recommendations on a source for the rims?
Thanks for all your help.

bob
Try this place for rims. Order steel valve stems at the same time.
Trailer Parts, Trailer Tires, Trailer Wheels at Wholesale Prices (800) 281-0769.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #55

Thank you Bob,

But it seems that all their 14 in. wheels are limited to 60 psi. The Kumho's call for 65 psi.

Problems, problems.

Bob
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
bubbajean, If I rememeber these rims are rated for 65psi. I would call them and ask for sure. I forgot that the link I gave you above was for another trailer that I switched to 15" rims. Try here:
R14-5 - 14" Trailer Rim - 5 Hole White Spoke - RedTrailers.com

Tags
tires