Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 2012 Denali came with Akuret Load range D ST225/75R15 radials. We have about 6000 miles on them. So far so good.
We keep ours inflated to the max 65 psi. I check the pressure before we tow each time....it seems they almost always need a little air....NOT NITROGEN !
Our trailer is loaded with stuff, and I am sure that we are maxed out as far as the GW is concerned. We tow at 60 most of the time, max 65.

Sudsy, I think you will be fine.

Happy camping
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Fiat View Post
Our 2012 Denali came with Akuret Load range D ST225/75R15 radials. We have about 6000 miles on them. So far so good.
We keep ours inflated to the max 65 psi. I check the pressure before we tow each time....it seems they almost always need a little air....NOT NITROGEN !
Our trailer is loaded with stuff, and I am sure that we are maxed out as far as the GW is concerned. We tow at 60 most of the time, max 65.

Sudsy, I think you will be fine.

Happy camping
Thanks for the reply. I have the load range E so I am keeping them at 70 psi. Max is 75 but there is a chart and 70 way exceeds my requirement. I also check and fill before each trip. The sunny side is always a little higher than the shady side. So far they re great. Balanced well and had new steel valve stems installed too. I'm a Happy Camper so far. Long trip next week. I feel confident in them.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have the load range E so I am keeping them at 70 psi. Max is 75 but there is a chart and 70 way exceeds my requirement. I also check and fill before each trip. The sunny side is always a little higher than the shady side. So far they re great. Balanced well and had new steel valve stems installed too. I'm a Happy Camper so far. Long trip next week. I feel confident in them.

Sudsy
And now I'm feeling better about these Akuret tires also. I have load range E Akurets on my Voltage 3950. It probably weighs in at 19,500 pounds. Which is only 500 pounds heavier than it should be. Well, that was a guess. I'll take it to a scale and find out for sure.

So... is there a chart somewhere with what the various load ranges mean? I know there are range F and G. Must be really stout tires. I don't want any problems, and I'm not against changing them all. BUT... most tires are made in China, so anyone dumping on the Chinese hasn't done their homework.

I have a Chinese doctor friend who knows the inside scoop on China factories. If quality assurance is in place, tires can be "perfect" and made in China. The problem is that the shop next door will make the "same" tire, change a letter in the name, and sell for less.

So stuff gets a bad rap because it's made in China, but all the same, it can be excellent quality.

Anyway, anyone with info on tire load ranges, please post. My rig has three axles, six tires. So each tire would need to carry 3,166 pounds. I have no idea if the Akuret tires are up to that, but they are load range E. And I have aluminum rims with steel valve stems.

Educate me!
VoltageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post

Anyway, anyone with info on tire load ranges, please post. My rig has three axles, six tires. So each tire would need to carry 3,166 pounds. I have no idea if the Akuret tires are up to that, but they are load range E. And I have aluminum rims with steel valve stems.

Educate me!
The ST235/80R16E Akuret tire is rated at 3417# at 80 psi. None of their other sizes will provide the load capacity you need.

FastEagle

p.s. Trailer tires are fitted to the trailers certified GAWR. Did you deduct the hitch weight?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #61

Quote:
And now I'm feeling better about these Akuret tires also. I have load range E Akurets on my Voltage 3950. It probably weighs in at 19,500 pounds. Which is only 500 pounds heavier than it should be. Well, that was a guess. I'll take it to a scale and find out for sure.

So... is there a chart somewhere with what the various load ranges mean? I know there are range F and G. Must be really stout tires. I don't want any problems, and I'm not against changing them all. BUT... most tires are made in China, so anyone dumping on the Chinese hasn't done their homework.

I have a Chinese doctor friend who knows the inside scoop on China factories. If quality assurance is in place, tires can be "perfect" and made in China. The problem is that the shop next door will make the "same" tire, change a letter in the name, and sell for less.

So stuff gets a bad rap because it's made in China, but all the same, it can be excellent quality.

Educate me!
Here is a link. I have 15 inch tires and mine are the second from the bottom of the list.

http://www.deltatire.com/catalog/tir...3&tsubcatid=42

Look under the picture for the "Specification Chart". I talked to a factory rep from Michelin and they DO NOT make a 15 inch tire suitable for trailer use.

My rig weighs 7800 lbs so I'm good to go. I could probably run on one axle a short distance at low speed.

Sudsy
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So... is there a chart somewhere with what the various load ranges mean?
Load range is now an obsolete term. It was never a good indicator, because it only indicated the max PSI the tire could have.

Going by memory;
B = 35 PSI
C = 50 PSI
D = 65 PSI
E = 80 PSI
F = 110 PSI
G = ?
H = ?

An even older obsolete term was "ply rating". That was replaced by load range way back when.

B = 4 ply rating
C = 6-ply rating
D = 8 ply rating
E = 10 ply rating

I don't remember any ply ratings over 10.

The modern spec for tire weight capacity is now the service description, which is made up of load index and speed rating. Here's a link to a good explanation of the service description.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

TireRack specializes in car tires, so their article on load index doesn't go high enough to be useful for LT and trailer tires. Do a Bing search on load index or service description and you'll find more complete tables. Here's a partial list for tires with weight capacity over 2,600 pounds @ max PSI marked on the tire:
114 = 2600
115 = 2680
116 = 2755
117 = 2835
121 = 3195 *
120 = 3085
123 = 3415 *
124 = 3580
126 = 3750 *
128 = 3970

* = common size on heavy duty pickups

Although service description has been the standard for a coupla years now for light truck and passenger car tires, some tire manufacturers still include load range on the sidewall - along with the required service description. And I notice that Goodyear Marathon trailer tires don't include the service description on their website or tires, so maybe it doesn't apply to trailer tires yet?

A popular size for trailer tires is LT235/85R16, which often has a service description of 119Q. That is equivalent to the old load range E, which had max weight capacity of 3042 pounds @ 80 PSI. Toyo now makes a special heavier-duty tire in that size with load rating of 120. So you need to familiarize yourself with the new service description and forget load range.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #63

Service descriptions are permissible on the sidewalls of LT & ST tires. But load range remained the official description for ST & LT tires in the 2007 round of rule making decisions.

Service descriptions are the official descriptions for all P tires.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #64

My Big Problem Was

Finding 15 inch load rated "E" tires. There are very few choices. The Carlisle "D" rated kept making big pops and the air got out. Twice.

There are Goodyears available but they had to be ordered and had a long delivery time in Southern Maryland. The Akuret tires were readily available. So far I am very happy with them. They look and ride very well. Had new steel valve stems installed and they balance with very little weight. A vibe test with smart phone showed a pretty smooth ride up to 70 MPH.

Sudsy
Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Finding 15 inch load rated "E" tires. There are very few choices.
Maxxis makes an ST225/75R15E. I have 5 of them on my cargo trailer, and they are excellent.
M8008 ST Radial

Available at Discount Tire, although they probably don't stock them so you have to order.
www.discountrire.com
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post

p.s. Trailer tires are fitted to the trailers certified GAWR. Did you deduct the hitch weight?
No, I did not. That makes things a little better. Of course the hitch weight is supported by the truck's tires, not the trailer's tires. It's making more sense now. Thank you.
VoltageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires