Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Trailer Tires

I've done a search but could not find a thread that discussed trailer tires vs. LT tires. My trailer is 4 years old and I'm thinking I may want to put new tires on this year. Here is my question.

My trailer has 235/85R16 LR-G tires. Looked at a few web sites and only find this size tire on the Goodyear site and it is a LT tires. I have heard that LT tires are not really good for a trailer as the sidewalls do not flex on an LT tires as a trailer tire does.

I got no clue so I'm asking the experts here.

Any ideas on the LT vs. Trailer tire issue? If anyone has a link to the thread I was looking for, please feel free to post it.

Also, looking for input on a brand that has the size I need.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Don't get caught up in the ST versus LT confusion. The tire in question is a Goodyear G614 RST that happens to come in size LT235/85R-16, load range G. The Goodyear G614 RST is a trailer-specific tire - see HERE, and it unfortunately is the only G-rated tire in that particular size that I've seen. Many of us have looked for alternate replacements for the G614, but without success unless one wants to upgrade to 17.5" wheels.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #3

Wink

You have 16" rims but we only 15" rims on our Cougar fiver and I just ordered Maxxis tires, D rated, and hope to get them on next week.
Our tires are only 2 years old from the factory but a few weeks ago
we noticed cracks in the sidewalls so we are changing them.

The new tires are already here and they were manufactured Nov of 2008!

Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
I essentially have the same 5er that you do. I recently changed my tires and went with Michelin XPS Rib. It is an LT 235/85R16 but I went up in the load rating to E. It is an 80psi tire so it is within the pressure range of my (and your) rims.

This tire is discussed at length in this forum and folks seem very happy with the service they get from them. Since mine are so new I can't really say, only time and some miles will tell.

My justification behind spending the extra $ on the Michelins was that they were not having the side-wall failures that three of my Goodyears had. We'll see.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I don't know the weight difference in your cougar and my everest but the advice to change to XPS Ribs LRE is a good idea if you really don't need LRG tires. I have had them on my 5ver for 4 years and around 20K miles with absolutely no complaint.

They are pricey however.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the replies. With a GVWR of 16,500# I need to stick with the LR-G tires. If I could find a LR-H in a 16" wheel size I'd do that, but no luck. I don't have room to go up to 17.5" rims. Looks like Goodyear 614's will be the tires I'll be getting.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
With a GVWR of 16,500# I need to stick with the LR-G tires.
Quite a weight difference as my Everest GVWR is 12,600.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. With a GVWR of 16,500# I need to stick with the LR-G tires. If I could find a LR-H in a 16" wheel size I'd do that, but no luck. I don't have room to go up to 17.5" rims. Looks like Goodyear 614's will be the tires I'll be getting.

Actually a 17.5 inch wheel with H-rated tires has less of a profile than the G614’s you have now. In the photo below you will see this.
The 17.5 inch wheel and tire is on the right. The G614 is on the left. Notice while the wheel is larger in diameter the tire has a lower profile.

You can purchase the wheels with 9/16 inch bolt holes. Just take off your old wheels and replace.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #9

Is http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos the fact sheet you seek? I think the only advantage to LT tires is you are not limited to 65 MPH. ST tires get a bad reputation mainly because of under-inflation. Carlisle Tire places such importance on inflating to sidewall maximum that they void the warranty if Carlisle tires are used at less than maximum inflation.

For Jo; if you desire higher load rated 15" tires, look at https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...+Tires&season=
for load range F,G, and H, ST tires. Keep in mind you must also buy appropriate rims with the same load rating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Terry,

Ummm.....got a source for the 17.5" wheel/tire combo???

Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnance View Post

Actually a 17.5 inch wheel with H-rated tires has less of a profile than the G614’s you have now. In the photo below you will see this.
The 17.5 inch wheel and tire is on the right. The G614 is on the left. Notice while the wheel is larger in diameter the tire has a lower profile.

You can purchase the wheels with 9/16 inch bolt holes. Just take off your old wheels and replace.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #11

I bought my wheels from these guys and was very happy in the pricing and service.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...roduct/0377865
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #12

Rusty
I purchased the 17.5 inch wheels and tires from Trailer Tire and Wheel. Here is a link to the wheel I chose. These new wheels and tires will increase the load capacity of each tire and wheel from 3,750 lbs G614 to 4,800 lbs. The owner Scott was very nice to work with.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/product/0377865

I choose to go with Goodyear G114 tire. 215/75R17.5H

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/line.cfm?prodline=160807

I had Trailer Tire and Wheel mount the tires and balance them. They then shipped via UPS to my front door.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnance View Post

This is very interesting. I have just less than 2" between the front and rear tires now. Looks like with the combination you are talking about will give me more room as well as the ability to go to a higher rated tire. Thanks very much.

This is why I love this place.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
This is very interesting. I have just less than 2" between the front and rear tires now. Looks like with the combination you are talking about will give me more room as well as the ability to go to a higher rated tire. Thanks very much.

This is why I love this place.
John,

I wonder if we could get us a group purchase discount going here??

Rusty