Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Trailer Weights?

Even though I'm interested in bumper pull Toy Haulers, I figured I'd ask this question here since there are more people here.

Since I have a 2500HD Duramax truck, I'm not limited to 'lighter' Toy Haulers that are often geared towards 1/2 ton trucks. But the different Toy Haulers I've been considering are ranging in weight from 5500-8500 lbs (approx. 32'-35' bumper pull Toy Haulers). Obviously the lighter ones are going to tow easier and more comfortably, but are the heavier ones going to be better constructed? I'm wanting to get a very heavy duty, well insulated, durable Toy Hauler that I can take off road and am surprised at the range of weights I'm finding in different Toy Haulers at the same length.

So in general, is it safe to assume that the heavier units are going to be more 'heavy duty' and stand up to more off road use with increased longevity? Or are the lighter units going to be 'better'? Again, if weight isn't an issue, is heavier often 'better'?

Some of the 'lighter' units have just as big of tanks as the heavier units as well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #2

Never owned a toy hauler but I'll throw this out, and this is truly JMHO. Based on the ones friends have had and others I've seen.
Far to many toy haulers sacrifice structural quality ( weight, strength of materials ) in order to allow a bigger box payload. So the most durable unit may well be the one with the least amount of payload. Built solid, you can't haul tons of stuff , but you can't break it.
Friend bought a 5er toy hauler , triple axle , 2years old , loaded up for his first outing and blew 2 tires in 150 miles. Advertised Cargo Carrying Capacity was 3500 lbs. when he emptied it out and weighed it , the factory dry weight was out by 1100 lbs. So his actual CCC should have been 2400 lbs. He sold the 5er within 2 months of buying it. 2 Quads , groceries and water on board and it was overloaded. He had 4 quads on board when the tires blew. Lots of space but you couldn't use it.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #3

So the Toy Hauler itself was ok, it was just the tires that were overloaded and blew? So the Toy Hauler itself must have been really heavy, so is that then an argument to try to stick with a 'lighter' weight Toy Hauler?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So in general, is it safe to assume that the heavier units are going to be more 'heavy duty' and stand up to more off road use with increased longevity? Or are the lighter units going to be 'better'? Again, if weight isn't an issue, is heavier often 'better'?
Generally no, heavier isn't better, unless all that extra weight is in a stouter frame, axles, wheels, etc.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So the Toy Hauler itself was ok, it was just the tires that were overloaded and blew? So the Toy Hauler itself must have been really heavy, so is that then an argument to try to stick with a 'lighter' weight Toy Hauler?
The tires AND axles were rated to the 5ers GVWR, they were both overloaded, tires gave out , not sure if the axles were damaged.
Moral of the story . Know how much weight you internd to carry and before you buy, have the unit your looking at weighed, to make sure the actual trailer weights advertised are correct. He made the asumption that the CCC of 3500 lbs was accurate and it wasn't.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

Item #8 in he reference applies.

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Trailers and Heavy Trucks

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

http://rvsafety.com/2011/09/understa...rhome-weights/

Also explains CCC relating to towable trailers.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

I wonder if by any chance the tires that blew were on the same side and had been exposed to the sun for the past two years (lot rot)?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

Long ago, somebody got the idea to put living quarters in a utility trailer. Then later somebody else got the idea to put a big back door on an RV and call it a 'toy hauler'. For example, a 26' Work 'n Play unit has a 6,445 lb. CCC, whereas a 27' Hyper Lite has a 2,500 lb CCC. Apples to oranges.