Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2006, 05:01 AM   #1

I have always simply used chocks for a TT/5er to block the wheels. In reading some reviews of the expensive wheel stablizers they not only chock but stablizer front/rear movements. Anyone with a 5er having experience with the stablizers? They say 2 is better than 1 also. That makes the price about $100 plus.
Any advise. Definately like the idea of less movement/motion.
GlenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:01 AM   #2

I have always simply used chocks for a TT/5er to block the wheels. In reading some reviews of the expensive wheel stablizers they not only chock but stablizer front/rear movements. Anyone with a 5er having experience with the stablizers? They say 2 is better than 1 also. That makes the price about $100 plus.
Any advise. Definately like the idea of less movement/motion.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 AM   #3

I don't have any yet, but have heard good things about them. If these dern kids would quit needing a dentist maybe I can find out about them.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #4

I for sure understand the issue with kids, dentist, money, and priorities of all those things. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
I don't have any yet, but have heard good things about them. If these dern kids would quit needing a dentist maybe I can find out about them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #5

I made some out of 4x4 blocks and I find that they make a significant difference in stopping a lot of the movement in my trailer. If I didn't have these, I'd think that they make enough difference to invest the $100 for a set.

2003 F-150 Supercrew
theCampingColes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #6

I made some wheel stablizers a while back. I too did not want to pay $100 plus and these work as good as the store bought ones at a fraction of the cost. They may not look pretty but they sure do work to take the front to rear rock out of the trailer.

Click here for a previous thread I posted on this subject, with pictures.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I use the BAL Deluxe Locking Tire Chocks, and after my experiance this weekend, it was money well spent. See my post here for the details, but short of the story is our retainingg wall fell forward with several thousand pounds of retaining wall block, stone, and mud right against the back of our trailer. The front landing gear was up on leveling blocks. The wheel chocks did not let the trailer move forward an inch, otherwise the landing gear would have come off the blocks. If they did not work so well, it could have been disastrous.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had Roto-Choks for our 5-r (which, btw, will be for sale at this year's rally yard sale). They were much better than the triangular chocks that wedged below the tires for keeping the forward/back rocking limited.
L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #9

I have been using the wedge type, but only on one side. I love them, they helped 100%, no more rocking.

2003 Prowler 29' TT
Doncat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #10

I have heard of some people investing in some 4x4 blocks and small 3 ton bottle jacks also to stabilize trailer movement by placing 2 or 4 of them along the trailer frame from front to back.
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #11

I just added a Wayne's Stabilizer to the rear bumper of my 5er and it took care of almost all of the rocking motion. I may add a tripod in the future, but for now Wayne's is working for me. They're about $40-60 if you look in the right place. I have an extra one (20" size) that I'm gonna auction on ebay in the near future (if you're interested?).

Hope this helps?!

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #12

Wow!! The Wayne Stabilizers does look easy to use and most likley effective. I may just have to look underneath my trailer and see if it would be worth investing in.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:54 AM   #13

Great! If you're interested I do have to sell; it's the 20" model. You want to make sure that you have a solid bumper or frame area to mount it. Some 5ers have endcaps of fiberglass and that won't support it.

Kevin

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #14

Let me do some mearsuring and make sure thats going to be the right size. Though the one thing that can be kinda hookie would be if you were at an uneven campground. This past week when I was at Lake in Wood there was an incline on my site and when I leveled that put my rear at 3 feet or so off the ground and other times the opposite was true and the rear was 1 foot of the ground. Will it still work in those cases.