Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

Travel trailer

I have a 27 rb everlte trailer will be pulling trailer for first time with chevy express van to florida we our newbes anybody have any tips for us on hauling the trailer or campgrounds

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
WELCOME Gumshoe!! Like your forum name!

Practice, practice, practice backing your rig up. I used cones and an empty parking lot. Some campgrounds are pretty tight.

Buy yourself a walkie-talkie set so that your parking 'guide' can talk you in as they are always going to forget that if they can't see your mirror, you can't see them!

Take it slow. You won't be able to go the same miles-per-day that you can in a passenger vehicle.

Keep a big distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Your breaking time is considerably expanded.

Each time you stop, check your tires and especially make sure that your trailer break plug is still secure. I use one of those tiny bungie cords and wrap it around to hook on the plug eyelets. I have had it come loose on me, luckily I was going slow and was able to use only the TV breaks. Now I check it before I get on the road.

Carry and extra gal. of coolant for your TV. It will heat up more, towing, and is a good thing to keep on hand.

Be aware of semi's passing you. The faster they are going the more you are going to feel it pull on your TT.

Have a check list (and use it) for setting up the TT (at your site or at home) and tearing down. It really helps as you won't forget your antenna up, things like that.

That is all I can think of right now. Enjoy your new rig!! It is a wonderful, new, world opening for you!

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you have not pulled a trailer with the Van before, here are a few tips.

Check your tongue weight. Vans are light in the rear and often need a little more weight on the hitch to prevent wagging. That back and forth motion can cause you to loose control.

If you do find the trailer swaying, power through it until it stops and then slow it down. Enjoy your trip and just take it slow until you get the feel for it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #4

If an auto tranny then add a tranny cooler. If not running warm then shouldn't really have to carry extra coolant (tho still a good thing-insure it is mixed already). Presume you have a weight distribution hitch and it has been properly set up. If you do get excess sway then add a set of anti sways to the hitch. Do not recommend the single bar friction type. (difficult to back up rig)
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Here are some checklist sites:
Pre-Trip Checklist - Trailer Life Directory
RV Departure Checklist: Trailers
They look never-ending but cover the important things. I'd use a pin lock and make sure my steps were up. Then I'd check my trailer lights and make sure my steps were up. Then I'd see that the rear and front of my TV were sitting at the same height after hitching as before, and I'd make sure my steps were up. Join different RV forums, read and keep asking questions, because everything you learn will raise new questions for you. And make sure your steps are up.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
If an auto tranny then add a tranny cooler. If not running warm then shouldn't really have to carry extra coolant (tho still a good thing-insure it is mixed already). Presume you have a weight distribution hitch and it has been properly set up. If you do get excess sway then add a set of anti sways to the hitch. Do not recommend the single bar friction type. (difficult to back up rig)
If you have the friction anti-sway bars and want to back the rig, either remove them before backing or simply release the tension that is applied to the bar by backing off the tension adjustment. (not talking about the weight distribution spring bars here)