Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
... (and a 1/2" winch strength cable is NOT easily cut with normal bolt cutters),...
Now THIS is the kind of info that is gonna be helpful. Specific info. Which brand of trailer ball lock is good, the brand name of the wheel chocks, etc.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #16

I use the 3 piece lock set that is keyed alike. Yellow piece that goes into ball socket, brass tongue lock and stainless hitch pin lock. Think Curt makes it. Unfortunately, many are keyed similarly and standing in the store , I have used the key from mine to unlock others to find locks for my other trailer.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Any knowledge of a good wheel immobilizer anyone? Might as well slow down the tow truck, too.
Making your payments on time will slow down the tow truck a lot!!

We have used a Harley Davidson motorcycle security chain and a good lock around the trailer wheel and frame. The chain is supposed to be virtually cut proof.

From what I have read here, and in my experience, when the unit is in storage is the time it is most likely to have theft.

Happy Camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #18

That is why I keep mine at home behind a fence with my dog!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #19

On my TT I just left the hitch in the socket and locked it with a combination lock (same locking setup with out the hitch). They make them (see a previous post) that fit into the socket and lock, too.

On my 5th wheel, I have a lock that goes around the hitch pin and then locks. I leave my generator in the bed of the truck, locked to the tie down.

I am with others - I don't keep anything of great value in the trailer - if they want it, they are gonna get it!

It would suck to come back from the fishing pond and finding an empty spot! I do have good insurance!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
One of the things not mentioned is to be aware of where you're parking your RV. I used to go to the Red River Gorge area of Eastern Ky to backpack, hike and camp in the forest. The locals were all upset that we 'tree huggers' were against a dam that would have flooded this beautiful area. The number of cars and campers broken into went way up and the locals weren't too concerned. We finally stopped going to the area.

This was over 30 years ago, but I still like to check with locals when going to a new area to inquire about break ins at campgrounds or fishing spots.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #21
IC2

Quote:
Now THIS is the kind of info that is gonna be helpful. Specific info. Which brand of trailer ball lock is good, the brand name of the wheel chocks, etc.

Thanks!
I generally like a Master Lock = this would be my choice:Amazon.com: Master Lock 377KA Universal Coupler Lock: Automotive or this one Master Lock Heavy-Duty Coupler and Latch Lock Combo for 1-7/8", 2", 2-5/16" Couplers Master Lock Locks 3784DAT. There are others probably just as good but I tend to stick with a known brand (an age related thing)

For a chock, BAL is about as good as they get. I have one of these with a lock Amazon.com: BAL 28005 Deluxe Tire Chock: Automotive and one of their lower level X chocks without a lock. Forget to pull either, you will slide wheels (yep, I tried)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Found this:
https://www.megahitchlock.com/product/coupler-vault/
Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 AM   #23
IC2

Quote:
I would ask them about the lock supplied as it looks like they built a vault, as they say in their advertising, then 'cheaped' it out with a 5 buck barrel cam lock. About 5 whacks with a hammer and it's busted off.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
About 5 whacks with a hammer and it's busted off.
I would have liked to have seen that attempted in this video:
https://youtu.be/-G_zz80h_Tc
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #25

I use Deluxe Chock & Lock Twin-Pack - Ultra-Fab 21-001070 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World these to keep the camper from rocking but also has a padlock hole. If these were on and tight like I use them I think it would be pretty close to impossible to remove if they were locked.

PLUS, I really believe they stabilize the RV as well
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for that info. I value real world experience with products.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our friends had their trailer stolen from a "secure" storage lot. The video shows them cutting a hole in the fence, backing up and towing away the trailer. All the video shows is a red durango.....
Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #28

hummm

Well I've never had anything stolen from any camp site or anywhere. I agree that if they want it they will help themselves to it. However when it's parked it's pretty empty and nothing of importance is left inside. If it's electronic and I have it at the site I just bring it with me and lock it in the vehicle. When I tent camped I also never encountered any thieves as well If I stop at rest areas I park where I need to an most of the time there are other campers there as well.

I have heard of storage lots getting robbed at night but I hope those people completely removed all valuables. Good luck,,, INSURANCE iT's why you have it.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer