Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
We bought a 2010 30 ft Puma with the four bunk beds in back for the grandkids. Big mistake. They seldom want to go now so it's basically wasted space and it would be nice to have that a additional living space. Someone said to get a camper you and your wife like and don't worry about everybody else. I should have listened.
At any rate, the Puma has been good unit. It pulls well and with the additional stuff, fishing gear, food, ice,a little water in the holding tanks, and some stuff in the truck, weighs in at a little over 9,000. You know you won't have any trouble towing with the Duramax. I have an 07, tow in the mountains and pass gassers on the grades towing lighter loads. If my mileage didn't drop from 19-20 down to 10-12, I would know I had anything behind me.
Gotta agree about the Dmax, I've pulled a 20 foot bass boat since I bought it and you don't even know its back there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #16

[QUOTE=faye;1527339]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinDmax View Post
I haven't really been able to find any type of comparison sites similar to Consumer Reports for travel trailers. So Iíve decided to pose the question to you all.

In the market for our 1st travel trailer and looking for one in the 24í range with slide out. Itís just me, the wife and our Rottie. We like the floor plans with the dinette or couch slide out and the walk around bed. Several manufacturers have models like this, which brings the decision down to the manufacturer.

So how do you decide which one to buy? What are the most dependable manufactures and are there any you would stay away from? I know this question is probably treading on dangerous waters since owners have strong feelings about their TTís, but your opinions will help out a newbie. [/QUOTE

THERE IS POTENTIAL TO SAVE THOUSANDS, BUYING FROM AN INDIVDUAL, RATHER THAN FROM A DEALER, A GOOD MANY DEALERS ARE STUCK ON A SET PRICE AND EVEN IF THEY NEGOTIATE, YOU USUALLY LOOSE, DECIDE ON 3-4 BRANDS THAT YOU LIKE AND CHECK YOUR AREA AND SOME WITHIN 1-2 HUNDREDS MILES OF YOU AND LOOK ON CRAIG'S LIST. YOU CAN FIND ALMOST NEW TT OR SOME WITH A FEW YEARS THAT HAVE BEEN WELL CARED FOR, MANY WITH ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT AND IN LIKE NEW CONDITION, BUT AT A MUCH BETTER PRICE AND MOST INDIVIDUALS ARE REALLY WILLING TO NEGOTIATE WITH YOU. LOOK AT NADAS AND DECIDE ON A PRICE YOU WANT TO PAY. WE HAVE HAD EVERYTHING, MOTORHOMES, 5TH WHEELS, POP-UPS, AND NOW AS WE ARE OLDER, BACK INTO A TRAVEL TRAILER. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
I agree and I've spent hours on rvtrader, rvt and craigslist looking at units. We're planning a road trip this weekend to see as many as we can.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #17

Typically the manufacturers have multiple levels of trailers. Entry, mid and upper levels. You can ask the dealer what upper level trailers they have they may tell you you the best trailers they have. If you go the manufactuers web site you may find they build even better trailers. Better trailers will have more insulation, larger tires, and better suspension, better cabinets, and just feel more solid.

Since You have a very good tow vehicle I would recommend you do not buy a trailer too small.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #18

This may be of some value:

RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I currently own an (older) motorhome but would like to make the switch to a TT sometime in the near future. Every year we go to the RV show because we love to look and it's a lot of fun. It's also a decent place to start as far as seeing what's out there.

This year we came across a couple of models made by OutdoorsRV Mfg, specifically the Wind River and Blackstone models. We saw a Wind River 240RKSW that we absolutely loved. Rear kitchen and 2 slides. IMO a lot of bang for the buck. The only thing I would change if I got this trailer would be to throw in a full-size queen rather than the short queen it comes with.

The Blackstone model is a step up. They also have a 24 footer, RK, 2 slides and a wardrobe slide. Already comes with a full queen.

You didn't say what your budget is but definitely give these a look if you can find a dealer in your area.

Good luck with the search.
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

I saw 4kids floor plan with the opposing slids in the living area. The trailers with opposing slides are really nice. It really makes it a unit you can spend some time in when you get that all day rain.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I saw 4kids floor plan with the opposing slids in the living area. The trailers with opposing slides are really nice. It really makes it a unit you can spend some time in when you get that all day rain.
Yep--it also provides a convenient place for a team of softball girls to chill between games and a not-too-comfy place for my four high school & college ages kids to sleep when they come along on a trip. Choosing not to get the bunkhouse was my subtle hint that I expect them to graduate and begin working to support themselves within the next few years.
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Z,
We owned two MH's and switched to TT's and we are now going to switch back to a MH. When we switched to TT's I was very unaware as to the poor quality that was involved with the TT's. Here's how I've explained it to others. A MH is built on a solid thick metal frame. A TT is built on a trampoline frame. You can't put enough jacks around the underneath frame to give you solid support. I have been very disappointed with Travel trailer quality. From the lack of self-adjusting brakes to no shock absorbers and drum instead of disc brakes to poor frame design and thickness. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and there are many who are very happy with their travel trailers but we are trading our 2013 unit in on a new better quality MH.

TMTCW
TeJay
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TT Thoughts

We have a Dutchmen Kodiak 242RESL. Love the floor plan and tow weight but are really disappointed with the build quality. Just months after taking possession I've already had to rebuild the bench seat holding the couch cushions and re-supported the bed (dealer is too far away to have them do it under warranty). Dutchmen uses 1 X 2's which is adequate but these 1 X 2's had huge knots in them and were only stapled together. I know my next trailer will be thoroughly researched before we buy again, if we buy again as there seems to be so much junk out there. My first 5'er lasted us 25 years and it's still on the road today.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #24

I don't believe you can make a sweeping generalization about TTs being inferior to motor homes. Many of us are trying to get the best bang for the buck and then we buy whatever brand has the Most Stuff. Some manufacturers use in house frames and tend to be heavier. Our Arctic Fox has shocks as well as a proprietary frame, but is often criticized for being overly heavy and not SUV towable (and more expensive). There are plenty of sturdy rigs out there, but as Ray and Dave Davies said, "Cheap is small and not too steep, But best of all cheap is cheap, Circumstance has forced my hand to be a cut price person in a low budget land"
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #25

Before we purchased our TT I talked to every one in the campground that had a trailer that peaked my interest. I also read reviews on trailers and took notice of how manufacturers responded to owner's complaints. There are manufacturers out there who stand behind their product even after the warranties out by compromising costs and those who cut you loose the day after the warranty expires. Decide on the size of trailer you want, the floor plan you want and then look at the individual trailers. What is different is the way it was built, the components like the frame, wheels, brakes, appliances, and look to see how many "things" you see wrong wrong when you look at the trailer. All those little "things" add up to lack of pride of workmanship or quality.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #26

Quote:

So how do you decide which one to buy? What are the most dependable manufactures and are there any you would stay away from?
Stay away from Heartland, now owned by Keystone. The more I hear and read about their axle problems, (we just had our axles and ruined tires replaced and had to foot most of the cost) the less I'd be inclined to buy anything else from them.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland s actually owned by Thor buts that another story. I learned from a GM at camping world that Jayco builds a nice unit. They have a better frame, good sidewall construction and are more solid. They will cost you more and that's understandable. When we first purchased we didn't look at Jayco because the wife couldn't find a floor plan that she liked. If I were to do it over I'd go into a bunch of different units walk heavy and or bounce up and down. If they move a lot then the frame and the stabilizer jacks are flimsy. If you can and know how to do it you could take a digital caliper and measure the thickness of the frame main support that runs front to back. That will give you a very good idea as to quality. Also you will get many different opinions but I still maintain that a TT needs shock absorbers. It's not an expensive add on or modification and is necessary for ease of towing and sway control. Think about it. You encounter a strong cross wind at right angles to your unit as you emerge from some trees. The shocks resists the units ability to tilt away from the wind. That's sway control.

I have had Lippert axles and Dexter. I much prefer Dexter. They will come with self-adjusting brakes. Their tor-Flex design is far superior to leaf springs. No leaf springs to sag, no greasing, no worn bushings, no bent shackles and independent axles for a better ride. On a solid axle when you hit a bump with one wheel it affects the other wheel and the trailer.
Having a good dealer close is an advantage, especially if you can't make some of the simple repairs yourself. I can fix most of my stuff but still rely on the dealer for warranty work. You can save up the warranty stuff and take it back for a week stay when necessary.
TeJay
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #28

Quote:
......because we haven't had any luck finding any used ones within 150 miles. We don't want to go to old so we've been limiting our search to about 2010 or newer.
Check Craigslist (RV section) for your city and nearest cities. That is, unless you're looking for a new unit from a dealer. You'll save a bundle and some of them are like brand new. People buy them, go camping a few times, decide it's not for them and you get a great deal. But be careful as there are plenty of lying "horse traders" out there too and you can get taken.

Tags
travel